What's new

A rant about Youtubers . . . .

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
THIS is how we elect "publik servants" in the US of A!
C'mon, man!
and the one before him and the one before him and the one before him and the on....

I just hope the next one no matter what is a bit younger. Just because to an extent wisdom comes with age, that doesn't mean we should seek out the oldest ladies and gents out there and place them in one of the highest stressed jobs on the planet.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Gonna force one of my coworkers to take that job. He’s both the most competent and laidback person I’ve ever met.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Tang, baby, Tang! I think Uncle Ted sang a song about you. LOL
Used to cut a guy's hair that hunted with Unkle Ted back in the day. Lol, now Ted has people that PAY to hunt with him!

I wish I'd have been born smart instead of good lookin' and lazy doggone!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Used to cut a guy's hair that hunted with Unkle Ted back in the day. Lol, now Ted has people that PAY to hunt with him!

I wish I'd have been born smart instead of good lookin' and lazy doggone!
He's from your state but think he has land in my state and even if not has certainly hunted here. Remember a reality show with him and some other rockers living in a house. They got a hottie as a chef. Ted says. Paraphrase. "Interesting, you're a chef and every time I look at you I think about eating something." I don't think that show would be aired today.

As long as you watch it knowing 80% is a sales pitch. I get what I need to see, visual examples and demonstrations of, stuff I'm curious about and move on.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I forgot what type A and type B personalities were and what strong representation of each would mean and swung for the fences.

Lots of these guys don't even do a full shave. They've got a mustache and goatee and sideburns and they're like "oh yeah these are kinda hot but not too hot"... What? He's hardly shaving!

Frankly, being gullible is your fault. What is amazing for one, can be awful for another. Cases in point being Arko and Tabac. I suppose they could be shills for relatively small companies on their videos that rarely get more than 1K views. I mean how much money are they earning (saving) really? These people are invested hobbiests who spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on their equipment a year. I mean how is taking the advice of people on here any different? At least in the video you can see them lather and shave with it. There is 0 proof on here that anything I have ever reviewed or provided advice or my perspective on has even entered my home. Who's to say I'm not receiving kickbacks from big soap for my input? One of my first ever posts on here was a review and breakdown of the major TOBS offerings. Like half the comments on that post are people disagreeing with my tastes. Blaming others for buying something that isn't to your taste is foolish. Unless they straight up lied about what it smells like (Which is still subjective, many people smell the same scent accords differently), the only thing you have to go off is that they liked it. Which isn't untrue just because you and your wife dislike it.
Yep, spot on.
Let me clear up some youtube info.
First off a youtuber needs 5000 subscribers before youtube monetizes their channel.
The money earnt on each video comes from the amount of people who watched the video (not the amount of subscribers) and more importantly, if the viewer watches the entirety of the ad/s placed into the video - it's the ads that generate the revenue.
All ads aren't equal. I'm an Aussie so if I did a video then I make more money per ad from Aussies, Americans and Europeans - basically Western countries than what I would if someone in the Philippines watched my video - their view generates a lower rate.
A youtube channel needs at least 100k subs before they start making reasonable coin and they would need to be producing at least 3 videos a week, minimum - that would make that youtuber approx $1000usd a month. That is great news if you're 16yo. If you're 36yo then guess what - you're still working your day job but you've ditched your second job, which is good news.

I can say with certainty that there are no shave channels on youtube making any decent money, just chump change but no doubt some of the bigger ones are getting free stuff to review - how they market that free stuff is up to them.
Remember two things, no matter what is for sale, it's BUYER BEWARE and 'One mans trash is another mans treasure'.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
As a newbie here, I can say... my first post didn't generate 8 pages of responses. Pretty impressive. Must have struck a chord.

I joined a few wet shaving forums like this one. This one is the most active and has a nice cross section of people. It is by far my favorite. The only other time I've joined a forum was when I started out in digital photography. I learned a lot.. and had a lot to learn. It saves you money in that you can often avoid buying a bad product.... inferior lenses, etc. but it costs you a fortune because you see what's out there and what can be done with the right gear, esp. wildlife photography which is very gear dependent.

I watched YouTube videos before I found the forums. I have mentioned Bria Mulreany here many times, the owner of Executive Shaving Co. in Scotland. You might think, well, the guy is making money from the advice he gives you since he owns the company. And of course, that is right. But some people run their companies with the customer in front. We emailed back and forth a couple times and I chatted with him using their live chat option on their website. The advice he gave me was invaluable. I told him where I was coming from and what razor I had selected. He redirected me to a Artist Club razor and told me why. The price difference between the two was a couple dollars. I'm not affiliated with his company in any way. I'm just one satisfied customer.

I don't know the numbers on B&B: DE shavers vs. SE shavers vs. SR shavers but it looks like there are a lot more Double Edge shavers here, based on the threads. The variables in double edge razors are overwhelming, at least for me. There are tons of razors, new and vintage. Dozens of razor blades and the opinions on them vary widely. I saw a poll of favorite and least favorite DE blades, could have been here, I don't remember, but the top vote getters were matched....same number for most favorite and least favorite... for the same blade. Holy feces, Batman.... talk about confusing. Then there's "well, this blade works better in this razor and doesn't perform well in that one".... it would take years, and for some of you, it has, apparently, to find just the right razor and blade combination. I will turn 69 in a few months. That task is daunting to me.

So anyway, this has turned into another newbie rant... nowhere as good as Kmelki's. For me, the Single Edge razor options are more manageable, i.e., a few vintage and a few modern razors from which to choose and that number is reduced even more if we are talking about Artist Club single edge razors. My own razor can take only 7 different blades, that's it. Several of those are more aggressive than what I'm starting with so I won't need to experiment with them. For an old curmudgeon, that, I can handle. (can I get a word count?)

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I don't know the numbers on B&B: DE shavers vs. SE shavers vs. SR shavers but it looks like there are a lot more Double Edge shavers here, based on the threads. The variables in double edge razors are overwhelming, at least for me. There are tons of razors, new and vintage. Dozens of razor blades and the opinions on them vary widely. I saw a poll of favorite and least favorite DE blades, could have been here, I don't remember, but the top vote getters were matched....same number for most favorite and least favorite... for the same blade. Holy feces, Batman.... talk about confusing. Then there's "well, this blade works better in this razor and doesn't perform well in that one".... it would take years, and for some of you, it has, apparently, to find just the right razor and blade combination. I will turn 69 in a few months. That task is daunting to me.

So anyway, this has turned into another newbie rant... nowhere as good as Kmelki's. For me, the Single Edge razor options are more manageable, i.e., a few vintage and a few modern razors from which to choose and that number is reduced even more if we are talking about Artist Club single edge razors. My own razor can take only 7 different blades, that's it. Several of those are more aggressive than what I'm starting with so I won't need to experiment with them. For an old curmudgeon, that, I can handle. (can I get a word count?)
I agree completely, the range of products and the breadth of reviews can be bewildering. That is why quite early on I decided to limit my interests to a small subsection of products and solutions. I use only Simpson, and Semogue LE Finest brushes, a very limited number of blade brands, a small selection of vintage soaps, and a modest collection of vintage DE razors plus a Feather AC DX for an occasional challenge. I refuse to try other brands or new products in an ongoing cycle of expense and frustration as at the moment I am happy and satisfied, and in trying other products I risk no longer being so. 👍

Don't sweat it. Most of my posts for the past dozen years have been gin-induced rants, and I'm not banned yet, I always love a good rant.

Hmmm... that might explain why you were on my ignore list, though for the life of me I can't remember being pissed off at you that much. Anyway, I've lifted the embargo and you are now in my good graces (atleast until I remember why in the first place).

Back on topic - I've subscribed to a few YT shavers, mostly to see products in action and to get ideas for purchases. I don't watch them so much anymore, occasionally I'll watch if I particularly enjoy their banter, most are pretty insipid though. I especially can't stand the ones with their over the top enthusiasm and appreciation for their viewers who seem to be in it just to get free stuff - the "care packages" from other viewers.

Top Bottom