What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

lasta

Blade Biter
Tigers, sharks and bears, oh MY...... Where are the bear blades? I guess we could call all the blades manufactured in Russia "bear blades".

Pandas are bears!
Screenshot_20230819_113317.jpg

Date19.08.2023
365 daily shaves
231/365
GRUME August
19/28
SOTMC (All Aventus August)
19/31
Blade Biter’s Archive05/32
Tiger Week06/07

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Old Type*Tiger Platinum (4)Omega Super Badger
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Alpha Men 2.0Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm
*Ball-end Handle

PassesWTG XTG ATG TU
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8.75/10 (DFS+++)
9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Notes to this shave:

Summary - What a way to start Saturday! Great shave from the Old that still can compete with every new generation.

Razor and blade - Fantastic razor (from stable of the eminent @mgweatherly). Large blade overhand in the side is something to be alert on. But other than that it takes just about any blade and turns it into a work horse. Blade going on 4 and usually this is the point where the blade shows wearing. But not today.

Brush and lather - This brush is lovingly floppy and still gives great lather and painting sensations.

Technique - Did the same thing as with the Athena. I shaved really really steep and paid extra attention to pressure. Using my beard map that provided a great shave. Jaw line feels smooth too.

Enjoy your shave!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Date19.08.2023
365 daily shaves
231/365
GRUME August
19/28
19/31
Tiger Week06/07

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Old Type*Tiger Platinum (4)Omega Super Badger
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Alpha Men 2.0Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm
*Ball-end Handle

PassesWTG XTG ATG TU
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)10/10 (clean)
8.75/10 (DFS+++)
9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Notes to this shave:

Summary - What a way to start Saturday! Great shave from the Old that still can compete with every new generation.

Razor and blade - Fantastic razor (from stable of the eminent @mgweatherly). Large blade overhand in the side is something to be alert on. But other than that it takes just about any blade and turns it into a work horse. Blade going on 4 and usually this is the point where the blade shows wearing. But not today.

Brush and lather - This brush is lovingly floppy and still gives great lather and painting sensations.

Technique - Did the same thing as with the Athena. I shaved really really steep and paid extra attention to pressure. Using my beard map that provided a great shave. Jaw line feels smooth too.

Enjoy your shave!
We had a B&B member, TobyC, who always said, "King Gillette got it right the first time."

We had a B&B member, TobyC, who always said, "King Gillette got it right the first time."
Nail on the head. I said it before, I’d anyone from P&G would be alert and start reading this forum they would realise that switching back to safety razors or have a new line available would make them famous in an instant again.

At least that’s my opinion.

Just imagine a new rendition of the Tech. Celebrating its xx year of existence or something.

Date20.08.2023
365 daily shaves
232/365
GRUME August
20/28
20/31
Tiger Week07/07

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Aristocrat OC #15*Tiger Platinum (5+6)FNX Barber Boar
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Alpha Men 2.0Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm
*Ball-end Handle

PassesWTG XTG ATG TU
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)10/10 (clean)
8.5/10 (DFS++)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to this shave:

Summary - Splendid Sunday Shave.

Razor and blade - Sunday seemed right for an aristocratic shave. Excellent condition and a joy to use. Not the most effective razor I have but certainly top notch in the looks department. The blade performed nicely and was very effective during the head shave. Face shave a bit less and I don’t want to tempt faith too much, so I binned the blade afterwards. Much better than Tiger Superior for sure.

Brush and lather - This brush is lovingly floppy with gentle backbone. And it’s huge! Two swipes and my face is covered in lather. Actually made a dent in the soap today and reached the bottom of the tub in a small spot. Much to my surprise as I thought I was only half way so I am guessing this tub has a thicker bottom than I thought.

Technique - Not what I exactly did, but it was very consistent with other days. Stray hairs around the jawline will always be my nemesis I guess, but other than that smooth sailing.

Enjoy your shave!

Date21.08.2023
365 daily shaves
233/365
GRUME August
21/28
21/31
7 O’Clock Week01/07

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Tech FB*7 O’clock SharpEdge (5)FNX Barber Boar
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Alpha Men 2.0Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm
*Lasta Grey/Red Handle

PassesWTG XTG ATG TU
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)7/10 (razorburn)
8.5/10 (DFS++)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to this shave:

Summary - Smooth shave, but should have used a fresh blade.

Razor and blade - My first vintage find and acquisition. It is a great razor that I would recommend to anyone. Beginner or veteran. This is just a wonderful shaver. This blade already has 4 shaves according to the dots, so I thought I would give it another go. That was not the best of idea, but the combination worked well. I overshaved a small part right of my Adam’s apple.

Brush and lather - Using this blade for a week of additional breaking in. It lathers nicely and with just one stroke I can paint the entire side of my face. It’s that Big.

Technique - Easy does it. Beard map. No pressure. Sorry - there were parts where no pressure was forgotten to be applied.

Enjoy your shave!

Date21.08.2023

RazorBladeBrush
Razorine Flatboy*Personna Red (5?)FNX Barber Boar
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splashB+M LeviathanCold splash
Balm
*Greencult 1.0 Handle

PassesWXTG AXTG
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)10/10 (clean)
8.75/10 (DFS+++)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to this shave:

Summary - Again a FANTASTIC shave with the Flatboy. This is my current favourite head shaver! Super smooth.

First usage of this soap kindly provided by @Jack Goossen. I need to dial this in more as I got a sort of white milky cream rather than a lather. But it’s superslick and provides great post shave feeling. I am still getting used to the scent. I smell like smokey bacon at the moment.

Date21.08.2023

RazorBladeBrush
Razorine Flatboy*Personna Red (5?)FNX Barber Boar
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splashB+M LeviathanCold splash
Balm
*Greencult 1.0 Handle

PassesWXTG AXTG
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)10/10 (clean)
8.75/10 (DFS+++)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to this shave:

Summary - Again a FANTASTIC shave with the Flatboy. This is my current favourite head shaver! Super smooth.

First usage of this soap kindly provided by @Jack Goossen. I need to dial this in more as I got a sort of white milky cream rather than a lather. But it’s superslick and provides great post shave feeling. I am still getting used to the scent. I smell like smokey bacon at the moment.
Is the wife away for a few days?
Surely she would not appreciate yousmelling like a pig, being nose sensitive and all?

Cherish that woman.
She is my better half Jack and the sole reason for wanting to be a better boar piglet man.

And you are right. The bathroom had a tendency of turning into a Green Egg (not that I would know as I don’t have one). Fortunately I only achieved some sort of proto lather and did only the dome and not the face.

I still have that Tabac puck as well. #musttryharder

Date22.08.2023
365 daily shaves
234/365
GRUME August
22/28
22/31
7 O’Clock Week02/07

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95 SCL*7 O’clock SharpEdge (1)FNX Barber Boar
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Alpha Men 2.0Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm
*OEM Handle

PassesWTG XTG ATG TU
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)9/10 (somee minor spots)
9/10 (BBS)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes to this shave:

Summary - Excellent shave. Just a little too much pressure in one or two areas. But other than that, wonderful.

Razor and blade - The Ti95 in action again :001_wub:. Fresh blade and it showed. Good performance. Not super comfortable or anything like other blades give me, but sufficiently so.

Brush and lather - Gave the brush a towel treatment yesterday evening. It shed a lot of hairs, and this morning it was just that little bit softer. Face lathered the soap to a very fine slick cushion.

Technique - Consistent with previous days. Jaw line was good today as well.

Enjoy your shave!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
She is my better half Jack and the sole reason for wanting to be a better boar piglet man.

And you are right. The bathroom had a tendency of turning into a Green Egg (not that I would know as I don’t have one). Fortunately I only achieved some sort of proto lather and did only the dome and not the face.

I still have that Tabac puck as well. #musttryharder
Well, that scenario evolved rather quickly. I can relate to when the wife is about. I was born in the year of the pig/boar. My better half was born in the year of the rat. We're a regular Charlotte's Web.

Date23.08.2023
365 daily shaves
235/365
GRUME August
23/28
23/31
7 O’Clock Week03/07

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Tech FB*7 O’clock SharpEdge (2)Zenith 502B XSE
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Alpha Men 2.0Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm
*Lasta Grey Red Handle

PassesWTG XTG ATG TU
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)9/10 (some minor spots)
9/10 (BBS)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes to this shave:

Summary - Quick shave as I am heading out for a work event. Excellent shave.

Razor and blade - Using the Tech again. Meanwhile my new English ball end Tech has arrived as well (brass version). The blade showed good performance, but this is not a blade I will start stocking up.

Brush and lather - Zenith have a nice face lather with sufficient lather for three passes. Good brush!

Technique - Went back to my earlier shaving days. WXTG Gillette Slide, XTG was mostly N-S. ATG straight S-N. I concluded with a touch up pass on the neck and jaw line.

Enjoy your shave!

Date24.08.2023
365 daily shaves
236/365
GRUME August
24/28
24/31
7 O’Clock Week04/07

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette British Tech* postwarGillette Black (1+2)FNX Barber
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Alpha Men 2.0Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm
*Ball End Handle

PassesWTG XTG ATG TU
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)9.5/10 (some minor spots)
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to this shave:

Summary - First shave with this new to me British Tech. Good shave with a mishap on the head as I decapped a little bump. Other than that smooth and comfortable.

Razor and blade - This is a brass English Tech and its weight feels balanced. I found it slightly more aggressive than my Tech FB but it might just be a play in my head. The blade showed good performance andI am looking forward to seeing this blade get into double digits like the previous one did.

Brush and lather - The brush is definitely working its way through the remainder of the puck. Nice lather.

Technique - A mixture of techniques today. WTG mostly slanted. XTG was E-W and W-E on the cheeks and S-N in a slanted way. ATG again in accordance with my beard map. It did require an airbag touch up on the jawline to get to my desired smoothness level.

Enjoy your shave!

Top Bottom