Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)9.5/10 (almost clean)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8.5/10 (DFS++)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to this shave:

General - nice relaxing face and head shave. Back of my head feels baby smooth with LOTH seal of approval. Blade deserves double digits so up for bat again tomorrow.

Razor and blade - I have tried the Fatip cap together with the Matador baseplate and that works like a charm with excellent equal blade alignment. Haven’t shaved with that combination yet, but bound to. Or I might give the Old Type cap a go. Blade gave a fabulous performance on both face and head.

Brush and lather - Hybrid lathering using my usual routine combined with Marco’s method. Luscious lather was my part. Face lathering was again fun today. Good lather with nice protection. I do have the sense that with face lathering I have less soaking in time than I do bowl lathering.

Technique - Same as yesterday. Excellent three passes to smoothness and desired results without issues. I would not say autopilot, but close to it.

Enjoy your shave!

Date
365 daily shaves
208/365
GRUME July
27/31
SOTMC
27/31
Consistency Shaves
25/31
Blade Biter’s Archive03/32

RazorBladeBrush
Matador Deluxe*Dorco ST300HQ (10)Kox Blue Synthetic
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Dutchy BergamotCold splash
Aftershave
Balm
* Gillette Extra Thin Handle

PassesWTG XTG ATG
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (DFS+)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to this shave:

General - nice relaxing face shave. As mentioned yesterday the blade deserved double digits. A smooth shave ensued.

Razor and blade - I have found the right way (or best way) to load this razor and the exposure was more even this morning. The razor is working really well as always. Blade performance above par. No tugging, no pulling. Smooth and comfortable.

Brush and lather - Bowl/face lathering was again fun today. Good lather with nice protection. Made sure my lather had sufficient soak in time before the first pass.

Technique - Autopilot directional passes.

Enjoy your shave!

Date
365 daily shaves
209/365
GRUME July
28/31
SOTMC
28/31
Consistency Shaves
26/31

RazorBladeBrush
Matador Deluxe*Dorco ST300HQ (11)Kox Blue Synthetic
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
7.5/10 (DFS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to this shave:

General - sweet and smooth shave today. Very pleased with the results.

Razor and blade - Exposure was again slightly off today, but manageable and actually unnoticeable during the shave. The exposure is uneven, but the distance to the safety bar appears to remain equal. I loaded the blade on autopilot yesterday after cleaning, so I thought might as well shave with it. Smooth and comfortable shave I must say.

Brush and lather - Face lathered again today. That starting with the chin is an excellent way to start painting or lathering on the face. No matter if you are bowl or face lathering. I am keeping this one. Again, hats off to @BudgetShaverGuy. Good slick lather followed.

Technique - Usual routine. XTG is a mix of strokes I found depending on my mood of the day. Equally effective in my view.

Enjoy your shave!

Congrats on achieving an above average trend of Glide Fest!

Looking forward to your July monthly attribution analysis. I'm old and too far set in my ways, closer shave = more ATG buffing haha. Could use some fresher perspective.
Thanks! Dutchy and face lathering apparently. But I must say the Matador makes it very easy too!

Too old?! I might have the wrong impression, but I was under the assumption that we were in a similar ballpark age wise.

I will make sure to provide extra details for the monthly evaluation.

lasta

Blade Biter
Thanks! Dutchy and face lathering apparently. But I must say the Matador makes it very easy too!

Too old?! I might have the wrong impression, but I was under the assumption that we were in a similar ballpark age wise.

I will make sure to provide extra details for the monthly evaluation.
One is only as old as one feel!

Technically I haven't pushed 40 yet. But from your level of enthusiasm, you are a lot younger at heart than me!

Date
365 daily shaves
210/365
GRUME July
29/31
SOTMC
29/31
Consistency Shaves
26/31

RazorBladeBrush
Matador Deluxe*Dorco ST300HQ (12)Kox Blue Synthetic
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
9/10 (~15m)10/10 (clean)
7.5/10 (DFS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to this shave:

General - short and sweet shave today. 2.5 passes with a good end result.

Razor and blade - This combination keeps handling well. Slightly harsher than yesterday, but that could very well be because of my shorter preshave than usual.

Brush and lather - Face lathered again today. Very nice lather in absolutely no time at all.

Technique - as this was a faster shave than usual I followed a mindless pattern on autopilot of WXTG (Gillette Slide), XTG and ATG on the cheeks only. Results were very decent and very pleasing as this tells me I can use my knowledge gaines this month for fast shaves too if I need to and still feel adequately smooth. I believe I could have even done it with my usual pattern - food for a later experiment.

Enjoy your shave!

Date
365 daily shaves
211/365
GRUME July
30/31
SOTMC
30/31
Consistency Shaves
27/31

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda Athena*Shark Platinum (17+18)Simpson T3
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Aftershave
Balm
* OEM Handle

PassesWTG XTG ATG
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
9/10 (~15m)10/10 (clean)
7.5/10 (DFS)
7/10 (Comfortable)

Notes to this shave:

General - a very fine Sunday Science Shave. Blade has now been binned.

Razor and blade - I have a confession to make. I still have the blade from Shark Week. I retired it but not really binned it. I gave it a couple of laps on my Twinplex to see how it would behave in the Athena. And it behaved. Comfortable not smooth. But still very fine results. Head shave evenly fine. Albeit that the Greencult 1 paved the way with a marvellous mowing down of 3-4 days of growth with a KCG blade yesterday evening.

Brush and lather - Back to bowl lathering to build up and face lathering to complete. Nice and rich. The T3 was very suited for the job.

Technique - Textbook routine today using my standard Sun Ray Pattern. Worked really well. The Athena’s angle is pretty narrow for me and revolves around neutral.

Enjoy your shave!

Date
365 daily shaves
212/365
GRUME July
31/31
SOTMC
31/31
Consistency Shaves
28/31
Blade Biter’s Archive04/32

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle R41*RhinoOmega Roma
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Aftershave
Balm
* Lasta Green Long Handle

PassesWTG XTG ATG
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)10/10 (clean)
8/10 (DFS+)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to this shave:

General - I think it has been a while since I shaved with the R41. Splendid shave to kickstart the week.

Razor and blade - new vintage blade by generosity and kindness of @lasta. Paired with the R41 this was an excellent blade to be using. Are these still available? I’ll admit stubble was less (testimony to the Shark Platinum blade and the Lambda yesterday), but if I’d pushed for it I could have achieved a two pass DFS shave. I did not push and maybe for the better. An excellent and smooth blade on its first outing.

Brush and lather - Back to bowl lathering to build up and face lathering to complete. Nice and rich. Slightly thinner than usual but I decided to run (pun intended) with it.

Technique - consistent and constant. Worked like a charm. I could have been more effective on the jaw line so need to watch that tomorrow.

Enjoy your shave!

Does this mean you've never used Arko? If so, how is this possible?
It does Mitch. It does. At first simply out of ignorance (I learned about its existence here) and second not following through on an urge (I have 4-5 years of soap in stock as it is). But at last (and finally!) I have figured out where to get it in the Netherlands. We have a Turkish supermarket where this might be simply available from the shelf.

No other reasons. So no anti-Arko sentiments or anything (as I have never tried it myself that would be simply laughable).

Guido

I have also never tried The Veg. Reading the reviews I am simply too afraid!

It does Mitch. It does. At first simply out of ignorance (I learned about its existence here) and second not following through on an urge (I have 4-5 years of soap in stock as it is). But at last (and finally!) I have figured out where to get it in the Netherlands. We have a Turkish supermarket where this might be simply available from the shelf.

No other reasons. So no anti-Arko sentiments or anything (as I have never tried it myself that would be simply laughable).

Guido

I have also never tried The Veg. Reading the reviews I am simply too afraid!
I definitely recommend picking up a stick. This may be bold, but I think every wet shaver needs to try Arko at least once. I'm sure you've read a lot about it, so me giving my view about why won't add to any bias that you may develop before using it.

The economy, simplicity, and effectiveness of face lathering Arko with a boar brush appeals to the engineer in me, and I suspect it may appeal to your inner accountant. It just works. I marvel every time I use it, and every time the quality of the experience is the same. I could not think of a better soap to take on travel. I understand why the Arkonaut army exists.

The smell, even for someone like me who enjoys it, is an acquired taste. Maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't. My wife actually really likes how my face smells after I shave with Arko. That almost makes my opinion of the smell irrelevant.

I can't wait to read what you think of it (no rush).

Cheers!

July Evaluation

With August about to start and @lasta anxiously waiting the monthly evaluation is due.
  • July was High Efficiency Summer and saw 31 shaves with an average effectiveness score of 8.3 (June: 8.2) - which equates results at mostly DFS+ level. Marginally more effective than June therefore, which is interesting as I think I used more higher efficiency razors in June than July, but then again a Fatip OC and a Matador Deluxe are hard to beat.
  • I took 2 blades into double digits: Shark Platinum (18 shaves) and a Dorco ST300HQ (12 shaves). Honourable mention for the Dorco Prime with 7 shaves.
  • Lowest score this month was a 7 on effectiveness with both a Fatip OC and my Gillette Super Adjustable. Mainly pairing with the blade or the blade needing to come into performance. Best shave by far (and since a long time) was a 9.5 with the Swing and a Shark Platinum. I had some minor nicks, but man was that smooth!.
  • Razor usage in July:
    • Fatip OC (19%)
    • Matador Deluxe (26%)
    • Timeless Ti95 (10%)
    • Lambda Athena (6%)
    • R41 (10%)
  • Regarding razor usage I have been more relaxed about my rotation. I have selected razors by the shape of the day rather than my spreadsheet rotation and again liking the process as I did in June. RAD is still on the horizon I noticed, but I am in between my feelings - on the one hand I like buying new razors and on the other hand it only feeds my sense of not using all razors to the extent I would like.
  • Soap of the month was Kox Dutchy Bergamot which I took to 80 shaves and the bottom is nowhere in sight. I think this small puck (70 grams) can give me about 160+ shaves. It lathers fantastically (also showing the streak of GlideFest and Butterysmooth shaves I have had) and has a super nice post-shave feel to it. Definitely buying more when this puck is gone.
  • New additions to the den were a Yaqi Lucky Dice Tuxedo (@lasta!! :001_wub:), some amazing razor handles, and the Greencult 1.0.
I continued my revisiting/reinventing of my shave routine following my discussions with @JoWolf on technique and results. I can stil improve, particularly on blade choice, but overall I think this wa one of my better shaving months. It was comfortable, relaxed, very nice results-wise and I enjoyed discovering my gear, thinking about lathering techniques, about razor angles, and thinking about which razors I would really like to add or not. In short: FUN!

Next month's theme is Aventus August, hosted by @JAHE. I had much fun last year, so I am guessing with all the extensions in the den since August 22 lots of fun it glooming on the horizon. I had an initial plan to see if I could alternate between Arko August and Aventus August, but that requires the presence of Arko which currently is shining in absence. We'll fix that on a later date.

August will also see me exploring new razor rotations with perhaps a revisit to the Shave of the Week society. And maybe finally an inaugural shave with the Gillette NEW RFB.

Date
365 daily shaves
213/365
GRUME August
01/31
SOTMC
01/31
Blade Biter’s Archive04/32

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95 SCL*Rhino (2+3)Zenith 502B XSE
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Alpha Men 2.0Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm
* OEM Handle

PassesWTG XTG ATG
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)9/10 (neck irritation)
7/10 (DFS)
9/10 (Buttery Smooth)

Notes to this shave:

General - Aventus August is upon us! I almost forgot what a wonderful soap this is. Excellent face and head shave today.

Razor and blade - Slightly less smooth than yesterday. Also wondering if the blade displayed less of a performance. Pairing with the Ti95 seems at least less optimal.

Brush and lather - Superb lather with the Zenith today. What a wonderful brush this is. And the colour is absolutely beautiful. Makes me want to go get more butterscotch brushes.

Technique - consistent and constant. Jawline was less smooth and I had some redness on the neck.

Enjoy your shave!

Top Bottom