What's new

A newbie explores cheap American store bought aftershaves.

Any chance of adding a "Table of Contents" or short cut guide, to your fist post, before this thread becomes unmanageable?

Last edited:
Any chance of adding a "Table of Contents" or short cut guide, to your fist post, before this thread becomes unmanageable?
I've had the same challenge, finding the reviews in what's become a fairly long thread. My workaround is to search the thread for "price:" or "price: $" which gets mostly reviews although also picks up quoted replies. Didn't work for a while because search was broken but just tested and working fine now. Not perfect, but not bad lacking anything better.

For anyone that likes the Dollar Tree Aftershave's and also likes Musk, found this little guy there:

$20160116_212546_Richtone(HDR).jpg

$20160116_212607_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Of the three Dollar Tree's I go to, this one was the only one that had it. Could be new, could be they buy separate from each other? The smell is decent, more like a soapy musk if that makes sense? I haven't used it after a shave, but I splashed a tiny bit on, and it seemed to last about an hour. Should this prove decent, I may just buy a few and put them away. Not sure about how they work in the States, but up here they almost seem like different stores, they don't all carry the same things. Kind of weird.

I got PIF'd a bottle of the Blue AV. I'm working up the nerve to try it. I really didn't like the green and the Musk practically disappears the instant it hits your skin. I love the menthol but for scent I'm sticking with Fine American Blend for my menthol splash.

Afta Original

Aside from using Afta on it's own and following witch hazel and alum, I also used it in combination with a few aftershaves. My favourite combination was with Pinaud Clubman. The scents blended together magnificently with the citrus and vanilla notes harmonizing with similar notes in the Clubman while the nutmeg component added a spiciness that changes and augments the basic fragrance of the Clubman brilliantly. Aside from the brilliant scent combination, The Afta provides moisturization that is not present in basic Clubman and makes for a much better post shave experience especially in cold or dry weather.

Sorry to be so tardy reading this brilliant thread. I will try Afta and Clubman. I often combine Afta and Proraso green splash- a great combo.

+1. Excellent observations. I like both the current formulation "classic" and the "original" that I used when I started shaving in the 1960s.
I like the Classic Old Spice as well. However, my anger at P & G for eliminating the original formula cuts deeply into my ability to enjoy the Classic. i'd be able to enjoy the Classic a helluva lot more if the 2 versions were side-by-side on the shop shelves.

Great review. Many of those aren't readily available in my corner of the world but it's still a very informative thread. Thank you!

Love this thread. Having grown up to the AV ads being kinda campy, and the Old Spice being mega-campy (before the new purposely campy and awesome ones with the guy on a horse), I always thought these were in the same league as High Karate "cologne" and avoided them. Glad to lurn sumpin! I just used Grooming Lounge aftershave and can relate now, after reading this thread, to the sensations of alcohol and menthol. GL had an immediate alcohol sting on my neck weeps, but it was lightning quick and done, replaced with a nice cooling effect. Thanks for increasing my aftershave awareness (should that be a month -- July is National Aftershave Awareness Month) and we can all wear musk ribbons?

Top Bottom