What's new

A little advice on older colognes please to a youngen' please!

I'm brand new to this forum, just found it yesterday! I, for some indescribable reason, have had the urge to get more into colognes and "manlier" shaving techniques and I'm glad I found this place. Hopefully you guys can help me with this question I have had then,

I am 18, still young, but for some reason I'm into the classics like Old Spice (never was lucky enough to smell the original, sadly) and Pinaud Clubman. I love the feeling of shaving, then patting on some Clubman and going out smelling the smell I remember going into a barber shop with my dad on the every other saturdays. It was tradition when I was really little, go out to the barber and get a cut, then go and pass baseball at the park, possibly even a hike in the mountains if it was nice, I miss the times... anyway, I have been sporting Brut for a couple of years and I ran across some Clubman and Old Spice in the original bottle at Walgreens the other week or so and have been using the hell out of the Old Spice (not to the point of annoyance, of course). But, and this is my question, am I too young in your all's views to sport these older scents? (the Clubman is strong enough to use as a scent in my sight, so I am including it on there as part of the question) I am still in High School, so on one hand I feel like I need something with a slight more "teenager" kick, but I just really love the smell of the older brands. I have even been told by one person I reminded them of their dad and grandpa! It just brings back too many awesome early childhood memory's for me to not want to use it though...

I feel like someone on here can help me out,

Last edited:
Well, this is a tricky question. Ultimately, the thing with scent is and should be to wear what makes you happy. If you like old school scents, who is anybody to tell you not to wear them.

That being said, some in your peer group, and some young women may find those style of scents off putting (but, not always.) It's a tough one.

Some of it too comes down to your own scent "chi." If you are mature in outlook and the way you carry yourself, it may just fit with you.

You're not too young to wear anything, any more than I am too old to wear anything. But it has to fit and feel right for you.

I think the "old smelling" thing with fragrances gets a bit dramatized. But, as some of the married guys here will tell you (ummm, Tehtimmeh), women DO have some strong opinions of the mature scents like Old Spice and Clubman at times.

Last edited:
WELCOME!

I like vintage scents myself and frequently will pull out the Polo or even the Grey Flannel. I also like Creed Green Irish Tweed, but use that more sparingly due to cost. If you have a Nieman Marcus by your house you may also be able to get samples of famous high-end perfumers such as Diptyque or Tom Ford. They are some of the LONGER lasting (Long Sillage) colognes as they contain a higher percentage of Oil to alcohol.

I'm also a fan of layering where you use one fragrance and then cover it with another one. this takes some experimentation because what works for me may not work for you due to your scent chemistry. Two that work GREAT together IMO are Spanish Floid Suave (gold Bottle After-shave) and Creed Acier Aluminum EdT...They are on the pricier side but you usually can find samples (Decants) on places like PerfumedCourt.com or PerfumeDecants.com. Even some members here can decant some of their stock off for you from their private stock for a price. I'm a huge fan of decants...for a small price you can sample virtually anything you want and when you decide on what you want you can buy the full sized bottle or larger decant. I hope this helps you!

One thing...try to find a scent family that you like and buy quality shave soaps and creams along that scent family...You will spend ALOT less money that way and will have scents that you like right off the bat.

Good Luck! And congrats on taking the first step to a great pastime!

Send me a PM if you need any other info.

I just feel like with Old Spice you'll be reminding a lot of girls of their dads, usually not something they are looking for in a mate. However, I can not recommend any that fit your description as I am more into the citrus and aquatic scents.

Crag and StylinLA, Thanks a lot! Feelin welcome already! I will definitly take your advice Crag, I'm not into buying expensive frags and AS, but If I can learn enough on how to find one's that would match my "chi" then It would be well worth buying a stock and knowing it would work!

StyllinLA, I understand what you mean. I still have to find out how the girl will like it, as I haven't been around her much lately (school is taking its toll). Now she said she "loves old spice". I just don't know if she really understands what "Old Spice" smells like. But hell, Even I wish I knew what the Original smelled like haha. And I do think your right. Who can tell me what I should wear, for as long as I like it that should be enough for me. I honestly think it is, and so because of that "mature" observation, I'm going to keep donning the "good old' stuff"

I'm with Stylin' wear what you like - you'll be happier and mors confident if your scent is 'comfortable'. If some scents are too recognizable as 'dad' or 'grandpa' you can look at classics that aren't so common like English Fern (or Wild Fern for a less expensive option), Rive Gauche, Azarro pour Homme, Habit Rouge, etc

people wear different scents for different reasons and right-or-wrong, "classic scents" can be a bit of a warning flag to the majority of normal thinking young women. if you enjoy these scents for nostalgic reasons (like me), save them for your version of "me time".

and as a general rule, do not rule out potential mates because they do not respond passionately to your use of clubman, lilac vegetal, old spice etc

I think the biggest problem with "classic" scents is any previous associations people have--dad, grandpa, ex-boyfriends, etc. but at your age, I would guess fewer people would have associations with Clubman than with Drakkar Noir or Polo. Those are what guys your dad's age probably wore, not Canoe.

Wear it with your own sense of style but keep a more expensive and modern option up your sleeve for a date.

I don't subscribe to scents being old person scents, or young person scents. Simply wear what you like, and wear it with confidence!!

And congratulations on rising above the young crowd that thinks Axe smells good (it doesn't, it just smells like cheap horrific cologne; so much better choices available, and for not a lot more coin).

I am also not so sure it's necessarily a bad thing to be associated with a grandfatherly figure: gramps likely had morals, proper manners, and a good work ethic; all three are things that can be sadly lacking in quite a few of today's youth.

Last edited:
Welcome, Walken. It sounds like you've got a good grasp on what you like! If you want something "classic" but with a modern twist, you might want to look for Old Spice Pure Sport. It might be hard to find based on where you love, but it's worth seeking out to give it a try. It has a bit of a classic Old Spice base with some lighter aquatic notes to it as well. It's been one of my favorites for years. :thumbup1:

i'd say look into the Penhaligon's lines, some of them may be a twist on that sentimental feel while not exactly like what appears to a conflict.

Welcome, Walken. It sounds like you've got a good grasp on what you like! If you want something "classic" but with a modern twist, you might want to look for Old Spice Pure Sport. It might be hard to find based on where you love, but it's worth seeking out to give it a try. It has a bit of a classic Old Spice base with some lighter aquatic notes to it as well. It's been one of my favorites for years. :thumbup1:

That's a GREAT recommendation. I'm in my mid 40s, so I don't have any concerns about wearing regular Old Spice, but Pure Sport will give you some vintage vibe as well as some modern appeal. My local Kmart is the only place locally I've seen Pure Sport, but its widely available online. A good value too.

A suggestion or few if you're looking for something that doesn't conjure "old man" for your date, but is a step or two above the ghastly dreck that's typically marketed to the young male demographic, while still keeping in mind a young man's budget:

1) Hanae Mori HM for Men - Very different from the fresh-sport bombs. Almost a man's "gourmand" fragrance - lemon, mint, cocoa, vanilla with a green-woody base. Nearly edible. Don't overdo, or it will fill the room. You can find this at really good prices online pretty regularly. I think I grabbed a 1.7oz spray for around $20 a little while back.
2) Lalique Encre Noir - Vetiver, cashmere wood, musk. A simple combination of scents that smells awesome, and slightly exotic yet comforting. None of your classmates will be wearing this, but it's very much a "get-close and cuddle in my wool jacket gee-isn't-it-cold-out" kinda fragrance. $40 on Amazon for the large bottle, and a little goes a long way.
3) Something else in the above "splurge" vein for a young man would be Dior's Eau Sauvage for spring. $65 for a full-size bottle, but again available in decant samples from a number of sources. Fresh masculine citrusy-floral that smells of spring gardens. It's a shame that Givenchy's Insense is gone again, as it had similar impact for fewer dollars - now the remaining bottles have more than doubled in price. Insense Aquamarine just isn't the same thing.
3) Guerlain Jicky EdT - a bit more expensive, but go online and get yourself a largish decant sample. Lavender + burnt vanilla + civet/musk. Classy, different, but not trying too hard.
4) Bay rum - Dominica is a good one. Ogallala's version with sandalwood is nice, as well. Straight bay rum is green, spicy, fresh, and clean without making you smell like a detergent packet. The Ogallala adds a slathering of woody-vanilla over the spice. Generally cheap, too. Dominica's $12-13 for a 10-oz splash bottle from most places, and the Ogallala was $10 for a 4-oz shaker bottle the last time I bought it.

That being said - the more expensive recommendations above are good stuff, too. Unless you're a young man of means, however, you are probably restricted to sample decants on those. But the cool thing about decants is that you can get a dozen of them for less than a bottle of designer fragrance and just keep trying new stuff until you find something that suits you and your lifestyle.

This is a very interesting thread as I have been finding myself getting very interested in some "older" scents (i.e., older than me). I'm 24 and when I was in highschool I wore Joop por Homme, Thierry Mugler's A*men, Claiborne Curve Wave + Curve Chill (quite a variety). The Curve colognes were appropriately "young" colognes that I would not go near now as they elicit a synthetic fruity "kid" element that is unappealing at my age. I stopped wearing colognes for about 5 years and just recently have gotten back into them. I found an unused bottle of my dad's vintage Paco Rabanne which I fell in love with. When out cologne-shopping I came across Geoffrey Bean's Grey Flannel which, when I first applied, thought was very strong, but within an hour I thought was a fantastic scent similar to Paco Rabanne. I wanted to go back to my early roots using Joop por Homme (I actually went through 2, 3.4 oz bottles of this delicious juice) and I came across Giorgio Red which has that same warm oriental feel with less "fruity-ness". Remembering the love I had for A*men I just put in a purchase for a new bottle of this juice as well. And having heard some interesting things about Drakkar Noir I have ordered some testers to see what it's older appeal is.

My point is, that some of these scents are strong powerful scents that may have some history to them. But if you feel good wearing them and certainly, don't over-spray, other people will associate these scents with your high confidence. If you are super awkward or shy and you are wearing large "notice me" scents, it will be apparent that you are overcompensating for this social deficiency.

I'm 29 now and Old Spice was my first aftershave, so I must have been about 15 years old.
At that time we didn't have axe products yet (or i didnt know about them), and I never thought OS was for older people. I did, however, think that Brut was for old people haha.

If YOU like it, then WEAR it! Welcome, and never be ashamed of wanting to be a gentleman in this world of Harlem Shakes and saggy pants that we live in. Join the club, you are in good company here.

I'm 29 and have a younger GF (she is 21) I put on the gray flannel the other day and she can't get enough of it. I thought she was going to snort me like a line of cocaine. Her nose has been on my face since I bought the stuff. Now I will admit she said this scent goes with my persona. I am a former marine, veteran of OIF I and II, a bjj practitioner and I work in the oil industry. But dude if you can pull it off there's no reason why a younger girl won't love these scents. I am usually wearing clubman or Gray Flannel. I dabble a bit in some other stuff but those are my go toos. I like english leather as well.

Top Bottom