What's new

A journal of a Cajun's life wet shaving

My wife has been shaking her head every time one of the Vintage razors shows up. Two more are in the care of the USPS at the moment and I have a seller holding a 1953 Y2 President for me for purchase in a couple months or so.

I’m fairly sure that will complete my small collection of Vintage razors. I will be sending a couple of them off to Chris @ Back Roads Gold for replating.
Even if you don't replate them his affordable tune up service will get them ready to shave if anything is off and brilliantly shined. It was totally worth the 25 bucks I paid for him to touch up my Fatboy.

My wife has been shaking her head every time one of the Vintage razors shows up. Two more are in the care of the USPS at the moment and I have a seller holding a 1953 Y2 President for me for purchase in a couple months or so.

I’m fairly sure that will complete my small collection of Vintage razors. I will be sending a couple of them off to Chris @ Back Roads Gold for replating.
So Kim, the "toe dipping" into the Vintage razors seems to have morphed into the whole foot, might as well just put on the speedo and jump right on in.

300+ Shaves in 2024 109 of 300+
Vintage April 2024 24/30
Shave Date 4/27/2024
Razor:
1967 TTO Adjustable Slim.
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (4)
Pre-Shave: Razor Emporium Pre-Shave soap
Soap: PAA Malbolge
Brush: Zenith 507-IF Italian Flag.
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Nivea Post Shave Balm, Malbolge A/S.
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(1), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

I continued my latest trend with my adjustable of using the feature during the shave, before I'd just leave it on one setting throughout all the passes of the shave. Once again I used setting 9 on the initial WTG pass, setting 7 was used for the XTG pass and setting 5 for the ATG pass, at least that's what I intended to do. On the right side, the ATG pass was on setting 7, as I failed to adjust the razor for that pass, the result was a small weeper that closed when I washed off the residual lather after the final pass. Three passes with zero touch-ups, the results are great, in line with all the shaves of this blade, and not that far off the best shaves. A very good great shave for a Saturday or any day of the week, especially on the 4th shave of this blade. Ole Yeller is still holding up fine and whacking down whiskers with abandon. Malgolge is a tobacco'ie scent, somewhat, on the spicier end of the scent spectrum vs the sweeter scents of the Aventus Creed style of scents. I like it and could use it daily. I don't know what PAA was shooting for, my understanding of tobacco scents that it is the green tobacco scents they are shooting for, but what that means to us normal folks with sup par sniffers is yet to be determined. In the end, it is good'un manly scent that I don't think many would be offended by, unlike Bay Rum that some need to warm up to.

Now that I've made it as clear as mud, I'll call it a day, I wish all a blessed weekend, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_3041.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
So Kim, the "toe dipping" into the Vintage razors seems to have morphed into the whole foot, might as well just put on the speedo and jump right on in.
Only 6 Vintage razors, total, and done, I think. For me, that’s just the toes. <eg>

That is if my count is accurate.

1. Canada Pre-war Tecc
2. Flat Bottom Tech
3. Canada Regent Long Comb OC
4. New LC
5. Souplex metal
6. Upcoming 1953 Y2 President birth year and quarter.

Yep, 6. That’s enough. I do have a 1953 Y2 Super Speed gifted to me by @luvmysuper quite some time ago now. So I’ll end up with 7. Three of them will get replated by Chris @ Back Roads Gold eventually. I should have the funds for that in July. I am selling off some extra stuff this coming Wednesday. Those should cover the President. I think I’ll add one of the knife sharpeners I had made up 25 years ago or so as a bonus. I have 2 Timeless 0.68 razors heads remaining from my little experiment a few weeks ago. I’m going to try the ATT Windsor SSRH razor again and see if I like it enough to wait for Blackland to re-introduce the brand and get a milder base plate or to move it along.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
The word speedo in your reply immediately triggered that and then I read the rest of your post. :lol:

You all did this to yourself's, and this is the result of your connected braincell's.

1714282517017.png

Not my kind of thing, but you had it coming, hopefully you learned a lesson, talking about speedo's. :lol:

Personally, I prefer Jerry Ryan. Those who watched Star Trek Voyager should know this actress.

1714282675394.png

Now that I've restored the balance of the magnetic attraction force, lets move on.

Excellent John. I kinda like that blue. I have 5 inks coming in and I'm going to use a different colour in each pen. I tried some of the Mont Blanc "waterproof" ink on a sketch and then used some watercolour. Well the ink aint as waterproof as I'd hoped. I do have a couple other inks that hopefully perform a bit better.

Excellent John. I kinda like that blue. I have 5 inks coming in and I'm going to use a different colour in each pen. I tried some of the Mont Blanc "waterproof" ink on a sketch and then used some watercolour. Well the ink aint as waterproof as I'd hoped. I do have a couple other inks that hopefully perform a bit better.
waterproof inks ------- Platinum Carbon Black, De Atramentis document <pick your color>, Rohrer & Klingner sketchINK <pick your color> this is what I see artists use if they want a truly waterproof ink that is safe for fountain pen use.

Thanks, Don. That ink is Robert Oster Fire and Ice, the red comes through on proper fountain pen paper and a bigger nib. The pen I have it in is a Hongdian 517D, which is one of the better-built pens from my Ali Express haul, the nib is on the finer side. I'd imagine with a broader nib the Fire and Ice would come through better.

Personally, I prefer Jerry Ryan. Those who watched Star Trek Voyager should know this actress.

1714282675394.png

Now that I've restored the balance of the magnetic attraction force, lets move on.
I ain't never seen a Jerry look like that.

300+ Shaves in 2024 111 of 300+
Vintage April 2024 26/30
Shave Date 4/29/2024
Razor:
1950's British Ball End Tech.
Blade: Wilkerson Sword (1)
Pre-Shave: Razor Emporium Pre-Shave soap
Soap: PAA Black Shroud
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket 26mm Synthetic.
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Nivea Post Shave Balm, Black Shroud A/S.
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

This is my first experience with the Wilkerson Sword Blade, there was nothing on the package to indicate the country of origin, the Wilkerson logo is printed on one edge of the blade, and the opposite edge is blank. There was a number code on the card, 70711010 if that gives any hint to its COO. I did feel this blade more than any other blade in the first shave, save for maybe the Tiger. It wasn't a rough feeling, I just felt the blade more, enough to catch my attention. The blade did a fine job disposing of the whiskers this morning without biting me. In light of the nick I had yesterday, I was more cautious on the area of the nick, which is close to the problem sea lion fur patch on the right jawline, this led to a bit more fur left than the best days. In the end, I achieved a great shave, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ on the neck. The Woodhue inspired Black Shroud is one of my favorite scents and one I don't get to often enough, with no drowsy spousal approval as she is still with her daughters and grandchildren. It's a good'un and I may hunt up some authentic Woodhue on eBay.

Sundays are "Call Mom Day", which is what I did shortly after composing my shave journal to post here. We talk about plenty of things in our weekly calls, from sports, politics, religion or any other topic of the day. I was writing down some of the things she was telling me, mom tells me often that I need to check something out. "Now write this down", yesterday I was a good son and actually wrote down what she wanted me to look up. The subject of my journaling came up and I mentioned I used fountain pens, she was confused, so I reiterated I used fountain pens, old-school pens with different inks. She said, "Come, on, how do you read your handwriting?" The legend of my atrocious handwriting is hard to live down. I told her it had improved and I'd send her a letter. As I was talking to her I was messing with the glass dip pen I bought, I told her I had a dip pen, to which she said. "Now You've lost your mind!!!" Hahaha, I love my mom. She proceeded to tell me I was going to have a flock of birds next in order to have a quill to write with. Hahaha. My mother knows my tendency to go 100% in my pursuits. I had written a few poems back in the day and she found them recently and was enjoying reading them. So it dawned on me to write a poem for her. Often when I call my mother she has to call me back because "nature is calling". I tell her I'm glad I inspire some type of movement in her. Haha. Thumbs up or down for the first stanza.

Roses are red
My Beemer is blue
Sometimes when I call mom
She says "Hold on, I gotta go do #2"
Haha, I haven't decided if I'll send that to her or not. If my dad was around he'd get a kick out of that. We share the same sense of humor.

That is all for today, Monday is calling. I wish all to have a blessed Monday and week ahead, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_3052.jpeg

Sundays are "Call Mom Day", which is what I did shortly after composing my shave journal to post here. We talk about plenty of things in our weekly calls, from sports, politics, religion or any other topic of the day. I was writing down some of the things she was telling me, mom tells me often that I need to check something out. "Now write this down", yesterday I was a good son and actually wrote down what she wanted me to look up. The subject of my journaling came up and I mentioned I used fountain pens, she was confused, so I reiterated I used fountain pens, old-school pens with different inks. She said, "Come, on, how do you read your handwriting?" The legend of my atrocious handwriting is hard to live down. I told her it had improved and I'd send her a letter. As I was talking to her I was messing with the glass dip pen I bought, I told her I had a dip pen, to which she said. "Now You've lost your mind!!!" Hahaha, I love my mom. She proceeded to tell me I was going to have a flock of birds next in order to have a quill to write with. Hahaha. My mother knows my tendency to go 100% in my pursuits. I had written a few poems back in the day and she found them recently and was enjoying reading them. So it dawned on me to write a poem for her. Often when I call my mother she has to call me back because "nature is calling". I tell her I'm glad I inspire some type of movement in her. Haha. Thumbs up or down for the first stanza.
My mom call day in Monday mornings and we talk about all kinds of things as well. she is getting so hard of hearing though so it is hard to make myself even heard sometimes over the phone. Of course she refuses to wear her hearing aids even though she has them. Those are also the times I get to practice my Swedish. Let me tell you once you live 28 years in a different country as where you come from and speak a different language you kind of forget some words here and there of your native language. Although it does not seem to take me long to switch back once I get around some Swedish folks.

John I think you should write your mother a letter. She will treasure that more than you think. She may think that you are off the rocker a bit with all this fountain pen stuff, but you know a hand written letter these days is something very special and valuable. It takes longer to write and that means that someone took the time to sit down and put the thoughts together. It has a lot more meaning than a text or an email.

My mom call day in Monday mornings and we talk about all kinds of things as well. she is getting so hard of hearing though so it is hard to make myself even heard sometimes over the phone. Of course she refuses to wear her hearing aids even though she has them. Those are also the times I get to practice my Swedish. Let me tell you once you live 28 years in a different country as where you come from and speak a different language you kind of forget some words here and there of your native language. Although it does not seem to take me long to switch back once I get around some Swedish folks.

John I think you should write your mother a letter. She will treasure that more than you think. She may think that you are off the rocker a bit with all this fountain pen stuff, but you know a hand written letter these days is something very special and valuable. It takes longer to write and that means that someone took the time to sit down and put the thoughts together. It has a lot more meaning than a text or an email.
I am blessed that my mother being 88, is in remarkably good condition, she has some cardiac issues and some pulmonary issues, but her hearing, mind, and vision are all sharp. On losing your language, my mother laments that I don't sound cajun anymore, I have developed the local accent of Texas, although give me a few days in Louisiana and I can hear the cajun accent coming back. Haha. And I intend to send her a handwritten poem, I did work out a few stanzas last night. I may crank out a Roses are Red one as well and save the gooder one for mother's day.

I am blessed that my mother being 88, is in remarkably good condition, she has some cardiac issues and some pulmonary issues, but her hearing, mind, and vision are all sharp. On losing your language, my mother laments that I don't sound cajun anymore, I have developed the local accent of Texas, although give me a few days in Louisiana and I can hear the cajun accent coming back. Haha. And I intend to send her a handwritten poem, I did work out a few stanzas last night. I may crank out a Roses are Red one as well and save the gooder one for mother's day.
Seems like many of us are at similar points in life, at least relative to our parents. My mom is 82 and my dad is 89. He too avoids his hearing aids and seems to prefer that we all shout at each other so he can hear. I'd also add that he is starting to look 'old', more so than my mom. I know it's natural/normal/etc., but I still don't like it. I want him around for a long, long, time and I don't like seeing my 5'10", 230lb father at 5'6" and 155 lbs.

I'm sure we would all agree: Getting old sucks, but it's better than the likely alternative.

I like the idea of a hand-written letter for Mother's Day, but she would be like "What, you can't afford a Hallmark card?"

I'm trying to figure out what to get her for Mother's Day and am struggling - as always. She seems to like Amazon gift cards (that she uses to by books for her Kindle), but that is SOOO impersonal. She'd like flowers, but to her, that's like a card: Nice, but it doesn't count as a present. Any suggestions???

Seems like many of us are at similar points in life, at least relative to our parents. My mom is 82 and my dad is 89. He too avoids his hearing aids and seems to prefer that we all shout at each other so he can hear. I'd also add that he is starting to look 'old', more so than my mom. I know it's natural/normal/etc., but I still don't like it. I want him around for a long, long, time and I don't like seeing my 5'10", 230lb father at 5'6" and 155 lbs.

I'm sure we would all agree: Getting old sucks, but it's better than the likely alternative.

I like the idea of a hand-written letter for Mother's Day, but she would be like "What, you can't afford a Hallmark card?"

I'm trying to figure out what to get her for Mother's Day and am struggling - as always. She seems to like Amazon gift cards (that she uses to by books for her Kindle), but that is SOOO impersonal. She'd like flowers, but to her, that's like a card: Nice, but it doesn't count as a present. Any suggestions???
My father was 10 years up on my mom and smoked for a good portion of his life. As he aged that caught up with him, he was once 5'8" but shrunk like your father. The last December of his life, I was home for Christmas, walking behind him as he did his laps of the house to get in his exercise, my sister commented, "I didn't realize how much bigger you were than he was." I am only 5'9" and around 200lb back then. It made me think of the cycle of life, the old man took care of me for a long time, and it was my turn to be of help to him.

I've often thought of a handpainted picture for Mother's Day, but I lack the talent or time to develop that. I believe some services can make an image look hand-painted. The problem is getting everyone in the pic at the same time. Maybe there is a service that will photoshop various pictures of family members together and make it look like a proper family portrait. My best ideas come too late in the game and I just end up calling her.

Top Bottom