What's new

A History of German razor manufacturers.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

The biggest problem with German razors is the lack of marks on the razors, especially safety razors made after WWII. They weren't exactly the most popular folks in Europe (and the rest of the world) and many of the razors made there were unmarked for that reason.

Still that's a nice list with cool info about manufacturers. [emoji106]

No worries. Glad somebody might enjoy. It. It's a bit of a mouthful unless yer looking for something specific I'd think.

D
While browsing for info on a Ben Hur razor on ebay I came across this page. It contains a history of German manufacturers of razor and pocket knives. I though some folks might find it useful but I didn't know where to post it as they obviously would have made straight razors as well.

Razor makers
Did you find out much!...i am struggling to get anything on a Ben Hur 40. 9/16 full hollow :-(

Why is there no information about Gottlieb-Hammersfahr razors anywhere on the web. A vastly unknown and underrated blade, it seems that there are henckels &Hammersfar which I think are a little newer,but when I finally found any help, it steered me back to me as an expert, which I am not, but I have six of them and they are still my favorite blades. Anyone got some info?..

R

romsitsa

It’s not really a razor maker, but a known cutlery producer, founded in the XVII. century. There should be plenty of info on their knives and straight razors. Solingen was the heart of the German cutlery industry and all manufacturers had their own* safety razors and blades, so getting information on all is near impossible, without visiting the local archives.

*a few were produced in house and more were rebranded white labels. For eg. Otto Roths (Rotbart) forst company produced blades only for third party companies.

Adam

I've been packing for a house move and found some wee treasures...straight razors that I didn't know I had still!
The oldest seems to be 1872-1890 era. Looks like it has horn scales.
Fr. Wellmann (Frederic? Frederich?).
It will be going off to Aussie soon, to someone who can restore and use it. It's no use me keeping it, so am swapping for a soap or DE blades. Don't know who is getting the best deal here.
Anyway, Fr. Wellmann isn't on that list but he did make cutlery back in 1872. Obviously a quick jump to making straights.

https%3A//i.imgur.com/OVIwz9D.jpg[/img]']

Top Bottom