What's new

A handle question regarding grippiness

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have two razors. One has a multifacted handle, but each surface is smooth. I cannot recall if has six sides or eight. The other has a round handle, but it has a pattern, sort of a grid or guilloche. Does anyone make a handle that has both features? I find the facted handle easier and more secure to grip, despite its smooth surface. It seems a handle with both features would be quite grippy and stable.

Here is one, the Matador Toro Mastiff, aka SABI T2. This is a rather heavy razor, around 110g. The handle is similar to one made by Bob's Razor Works, back some years ago.

1606141252617.png

Here is a similar design, the Pearl L-55 with all brass handle. This has an "elephant foot" shape instead of a flare tip.

1606141643314.png

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
FYI, I am not currently looking to acquire a more grippy razor. I just have a DE89 with a smooth hexagon and an AS-D2 with a circular handle with a deep grid. The smooth one grips better.

I have two razors. One has a multifacted handle, but each surface is smooth. I cannot recall if has six sides or eight. The other has a round handle, but it has a pattern, sort of a grid or guilloche. Does anyone make a handle that has both features? I find the facted handle easier and more secure to grip, despite its smooth surface. It seems a handle with both features would be quite grippy and stable.

Sir Tirvine, first, a belated Welcome to B&B!

just a suggestion, invest in an alum block!
A light touch with your fingertips will vastly improve your grip of any item!
It an also serve as aftershave rub over shaven face to close pores or any weeper!
A ‘must’ in any shave den!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Sir Tirvine, first, a belated Welcome to B&B!

just a suggestion, invest in an alum block!
It an also serve as aftershave rub over shaven face to close pores or any weeper!
A ‘must’ in any shave den!
Thanks for the welcome!!!

I actually have no problem holding either of them. I just found it counter intuitive that a smooth hexagon would feel more secure than a deep grid and wondered if anyone had tried to marry the two approaches. After about fifty-five years of this I figure that if I haven't needed something so far, I probably don't need it, and alum falls into that bucket! I just splash on hot water, lather, shave, and splash on an alcohol aftershave. I am quite the creature of habit! I will concede that joining B & B has goaded me to buying my second razor and second brush and I have a new soap on the way!

I am quite the creature of habit! I will concede that joining B & B has goaded me to buying my second razor and second brush and I have a new soap on the way!

Wow!! Seems to have taken you a long time to find the rabbit hole. Do you start to feel the urge?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Wow!! Seems to have taken you a long time to find the rabbit hole. Do you start to feel the urge?
Well, I am extremely glad I finally found it. To me I am very close to the sweet spot where I plan to stay. I always liked the DE89, figured out that for me the Crystal, closely followed by the PIR, was the best blade. Yet I worried, perhaps needlessly, about Zamak failure and wanted an SS razor. Even though I read lots of concerning comments, the AS-D2 sounded like a good choice for me. I get exceedingly close but very comfortable shaves with it using Feathers. I was already well acquainted with them but found they did not last long in the DE89. They seem to be lasting longer in the AS-D2. I'll be interested to try a Crystal or a PIR in it. I already had a great badger brush but decided a second brush might be prudent. I am thrilled with the T2. As to soaps, I can get good lather from most anything, but I have an MdC fougere on order. I am a huge fan of a long lasting puck, getting a year off of PdP or TOBS. I am sure there are loads of other great razors, blades, brushes, and soaps, but if I can get a great extremely comfortable BBS every morning in about six minutes, it seems to me there are plenty of other hobbies to pursue. However, if I hang around here long enough, who knows...

;0)

Not exactly to your specifications, but this is one of the grippiest razor handles I have, the WCS 84s, frequently on sale.
View attachment 1185962
I have the blue version (84BL) of the handle and love it! I keep it in my travel case. It says hi!

However, my regular driver is the 88S. The latter was the first razor (handle) I purchased after I found this forum. (I started lurking here a while after getting into DE shaving with a Micro Touch One I'd purchased on a whim.)

Attachments

• 8D918F98-6FDE-4052-8D45-9F2CB7D316FE.jpeg
    8D918F98-6FDE-4052-8D45-9F2CB7D316FE.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 34470BCD-4695-418C-96DA-575622945DCF.jpeg
    34470BCD-4695-418C-96DA-575622945DCF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Not exactly to your specifications, but this is one of the grippiest razor handles I have, the WCS 84s, frequently on sale.

That's an excellent handle! It also makes any razor look quite sci-fi futuristic, if you're inclined to be amused by that.

I find that the smooth waisted parts can be a little slippy with soapy fingers, but not too bad. Rinsing fingers is easy, so it's not a problem.

I find that a well-knurled handle also helps me get a grip (heh) -- so the ATT Kronos is good, as are most of the "bulldog" handles out there. RazoRock's Bulldog, HD and UFO handles are all nice and grippy.

I don't like barber pole handles. I have yet to try one that doesn't screw itself down in my hand while I'm shaving.

One that surprised me is the handle for the Blackland Sabre. In machined finish it's about as grippy as the WCS 84s, which is amazing.

O.H.

This doesn't answer your question, but I thought it might be of interest.

Out of my far-too-many handles, here are the "grippiest" two:
WFSR-Handle_2020-11-25.jpg

⬆ The Worlds Finest Safety Razor stainless steel handle ($25). 12.5mm diameter, 80mm long, 69g.
On the photo the knurling looks quite inoffensive, but don't attempt to rub it dry on a towel — that will be the end of your towel!

I do possess the Worlds Finest Safety Razor (with which I am impressed). I have just ordered another handle (you can purchase the parts separately) for a new SS razor that I have in transit.

Custom-Olive-Wood-handle_2020-11-25.jpg

⬆ My design octagonal olive wood handle (handmade by Shavemac, expensive). 13.9mm across the flats, 75mm long, 13g.
I have no idea how the olive wood has been treated, but once it becomes wet it simply sticks to my fingers. I have others made of resin, to the same design, but they don't stick to my fingers like the olive wood one does.

+1! This is my approach! I also place my small finger below the handle. Even a ‘smooth’ razor handle will be fine if handled lightly with respect IME.
:a29: :a29:

Top Bottom