What's new

A great shaving bowl

I recently bought a large mortar and pestle from American Science and Surplus for about 13 USD. It is a bit crude, from China but has a nice slightly rough finish inside the bowl as a mortar should, about 6" across. Tried it with a Semoque 1305, a touch of Cremo and a non-tallow Erasmic stick I grated with a little cremo and formed into a bowl. The motar is heavy and holds heat, it sits in the sink surrounded by hot water and whips up a great lather in no time that stayed warm throughout the 3 pass shave. I usually face lather but this could turn into a regular weekend treat! The Amer Sci Surplus web catalogue has all sorts of things useful for shaving. I also traded for a new larger test tube rack from them to hold brushes and razors sink side. Worth a look.

Those are great suggestions, and thanks for the tip. I am a fan of "found" shaving gear and will check out AS tonight.

Codfish

Good idea! Wish I had thought of that, I have a collection of old Wedgewood mortar & pedstal sets up in the attic, from to small, to roughly a 1 gal size and several in between. I need to get up there and drag them out.

Top Bottom