What's new

SR Shaving Stand with Bowl

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
For quite a while now, I have had the desire to get a SR shaving stand, like they use to use in the Victorian era. They do come up occasionally for sale online but the cost, including shipping, is well beyond my allowable budget.

I have been looking for a shaving stand made of timber that incorporates a bowl for water, mirror and provision for storing a large water jug. Something like this but not as elaborate.

8d2382dc341b2280eb902c60d1563b9e--shaving-stand-wet-shaving(1).jpg

I recently decided to make my own stand. With about five super-foot of western red cedar lying around, I will try with that.

First I needed to see what it was like shaving using just a water bowl as my sink. This morning I tried. I took a 2.5 litre stainless steel bowl from my galley and proceeded with the SR shave using the bowl as my sink.

I found that I needed three changes of water in the bowl:
  1. First for washing and rinsing my face (about 2 litres of water).​
  2. Water was then changed for lathering and shaving (about 1 litre of water).​
  3. The final water change was for rinsing face and cleaning up my shaving gear (about 0.5 litres of water.​
What I have found is that SR shaving out of a bowl is a little more difficult than when using a sink with running water available, but not overly so. The bowl will need to be about 2.5 to 3 litres capacity and my water jug will need a capacity of about 4 litres or a little more.

Now that I know the required capacities, I can set about designing my SR shaving stand. The making of this timber shaving stand will be a longer-termed project. I will update in this thread as it progresses (if at all).

The stand pictured is fantastic. I love that it has the candle holders for illumination. Very cool.

Hello rbscebu,

being able to design and especially build what you need is a great privilege.

Love the design you picked out, but have you considered the old two mirror designs?

Doing so could allow you to incorporate a magnifying mirror (having been using one myself for a little while now I could not imagine shaving without one)

Here is an example of one, not really pretty, but shows that it was done at the time:
1687567850340.jpeg

from this site: Antique Shaving Stand (With Mirror): Complete Guide | LoveToKnow - https://www.lovetoknow.com/home/antiques-collectibles/antique-shaving-stand

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The stand pictured is fantastic. I love that it has the candle holders for illumination. Very cool.
I haven't decided yet if I need candle holders on my stand. When I consider the electric power reliability where I am currently living, they may be a necessity. I am however looking to buy a house in town for my old(er) age. Power there is more reliable.

Other things I am considering are;
  • a fixed mirror as I don't intend to grow or shrink too much more,
  • a countertop size of about 600mm x 600mm so I'll have room to leave my daily shaving gear out,
  • a draw under the countertop for longer term storage of my current rotation shaving gear, and
  • a countertop height above the deck of about 945mm that I have found to be my preferred height.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Hello rbscebu,

being able to design and especially build what you need is a great privilege.

Love the design you picked out, but have you considered the old two mirror designs?

Doing so could allow you to incorporate a magnifying mirror (having been using one myself for a little while now I could not imagine shaving without one)

Here is an example of one, not really pretty, but shows that it was done at the time:View attachment 1675805

from this site: Antique Shaving Stand (With Mirror): Complete Guide | LoveToKnow - https://www.lovetoknow.com/home/antiques-collectibles/antique-shaving-stand
An interesting concept to consider incorporating. Thank you.

I’m no expert, but I believe the two small mirror designs were more created to use the natural light.

The stand was set with its back to a window, the viewer was then facing the natural light.

Don’t really know the availability of magnifying mirrors back then.

I haven't decided yet if I need candle holders on my stand. When I consider the electric power reliability where I am currently living, they may be a necessity. I am however looking to buy a house in town for my old(er) age. Power there is more reliable.

• a countertop size of about 600mm x 600mm so I'll have room to leave my daily shaving gear out,
  • a draw under the countertop for longer term storage of my current rotation shaving gear, and
  • a countertop height above the deck of about 945mm that I have found to be my preferred height.
Sounds like a bathroom vanity unit…

This sounds like an amazing project. If it works out you may be into a new career! Just kidding, but it does sound like a lot of fun.

All too many individuals take on similar projects without simulating dimensions that work for them.

Good on you for taking what I consider to be a critical step in the design process!

I had one thought about water "budget" ... a preliminary step to disinfect the bowl before or after step #1?

They didn't know much about bacteria in those days ;-)

... Thom

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Have you considered using a traditional scuttle? There are various ideas as to how they were used but I think you load the brush from the puck in the top, and then face lather or transfer to a lathering bowl, adding water as needed from the lower scuttle chamber. You could avoid polluting the whole basin of clean water with soap and bristles by using the scuttle for the entire shaving process, wiping your straight razor with a towel or sponge, not in the basin. This method also minimises the volume of water used for the shave which is an advantage in the absence of indoor plumbing.

Top Bottom