What's new

A good edge readily achievable with a Norton 4k/8k, Naniwa 12k and buffalo strop?

The title pretty much says it - should a good edge on a new razor be readily achievable with a Norton 4k/8k dual stone, a Naniwa 12k "Superstone" and a Duke City buffalo strop?

Legion

Staff member
Generally with a new razor I like to reset the bevel so I know I have a good foundation.

Add something about 1k and you should be good.

All stones need to be flattened. So you need a way to do that. Some use sandpaper on a tile, others use a diamond plate.

Setting bevels on the N4k is do-able but not what I would call a fun time. Back in the 'old days' of the original shaving newsgroups, the N4/8k combo was the go-to option. Followed by Crox on linen.

If the blade in question needs a real bevel-set, then adding a good 1k would be my 1st move.

Can that set up produce a shaving edge?
Plenty of people have used those stones.
I am one of those people. I shaved off that set up early on.
I don't use Nortons anymore.
I have a Nani 12k here but like many of the newer examples it has warping issues. When it behaves it is a decent synth finisher.

More importantly though - why was my avatar 'enhanced' with a white blob?

should a good edge on a new razor be readily achievable with a Norton 4k/8k dual stone, a Naniwa 12k "Superstone" and a Duke City buffalo strop?
I say yes. You should not have to set a bevel on a good quality new razor.

If I was to add anything, pasted balsa strops are very effective (and inexpensive) to maintain the edge between trips to the 12k.

I have honed many new razors that not only needed a bevel re-set but also needed geometry corrected, a bevel setting stone in the 1K range is often necessary. Just because a razor is new, out of box from the manf. doesn't mean the bevel is set!
As Keith stated some effective way to lap stones flat and a tool to verify this (straight edge).
Given an appropriate skill set the progression then would work well enough.
If you are just looking to keep a shave ready edge shaving the 12K and strop is adequate.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Need bevel setter. Without a good bevel, you will be wasting time and money.

I don't like combo stones. Norton stones used to be okay then they went waaaaay downhill. I recently used and then bought a 1k and they seem to be okayish again. In fact since you want to use Nortons for the mid range, you may as well get a Norton 1k for setting bevels. The reason I don't like combo stones is the two sides will sometimes swell and contract at different rates and cause them to split apart or the stone to warp or crack. Better to have regular discrete stones.

The Naniwa 12k has always treated me okay. However, while I do have a pretty good range of stones, featuring the Naniwa Superstones, I actually prefer lapping film and I recommend it to a beginner. Sandpaper works for a bevel setter if you get the right stuff and use it the right way.

What you got picked out will sorta work except you need a bevel setter. You can shave off that, yeah. But it can get a lot better. Look up the "Newbie Honing Compendium" thread, aka "The Method". Read the whole thing, end to end, including all the linked threads.

All stones need to be flattened. So you need a way to do that. Some use sandpaper on a tile, others use a diamond plate.

Setting bevels on the N4k is do-able but not what I would call a fun time. Back in the 'old days' of the original shaving newsgroups, the N4/8k combo was the go-to option. Followed by Crox on linen.

If the blade in question needs a real bevel-set, then adding a good 1k would be my 1st move.

Can that set up produce a shaving edge?
Plenty of people have used those stones.
I am one of those people. I shaved off that set up early on.
I don't use Nortons anymore.
I have a Nani 12k here but like many of the newer examples it has warping issues. When it behaves it is a decent synth finisher.

More importantly though - why was my avatar 'enhanced' with a white blob?
I think it's snow because people are afraid to say merry Christmas these days, there was an avatar for hanukkah and Halloween too if I remember correctly. I've had a couple deaths in my immediate family over the last week and a half so I haven't watched as closely as i usually do, but I think there was something.. you guys are helping keep my sanity and I'm thankful for that. The sound of steel on stone has helped a lot. I appreciate the collective knowledge that's gathered here. I discovered things I wouldn't have imagined existed.

If you use this set up(never have, and I've not use synths for any formative amount of time but) if you were to use the 4k you could possibly bevel set on it easily if you had a cheap diamond plate to flatten/ slurry it some with. I don't have months worth of hours on water stones but if you slurry them(or they auto slurry) they chew dips in the stone wherever you put pressure. It's why I like arks (they eat concrete), especially 100+ year old washitas. They generally last a generation or 2. Raise your progeny correctly and they'll maintain the stone and pass it on. Mine are doing it with rifles, shotguns and pistols. I also think my son has acquired a fondness for antique blades. I've got a service issued, ball and cap, colt navy .36 my son(8yo) is working on with me, I'm proud of his ***. He gets why antique tool, stone, knife, razor, French press, still, ect.... are important. Sorry for rambling and only like 3% of that was explicitly for you. Thanks for listening to my whining.

Yup, you will be fine. You can set the bevel on a new razor with the 4k, unless it is a gold dollar. Tape the spine until you master honing.

Lap the stones on a steel, dollar store cookie sheet on your granite surface plate, a $5 granite floor tile and a sheet of 220 wet & dry or a $30, 300/1000 grit diamond plate from Chef Knives to Go.

Lapping on a calibrated lapping plate will take it out of flat.

Post a photo of the razor.

Top Bottom