What's new

A Geezer Discusses Shaving

Mr. Gillette:

From one cranky, AARP-card-carrying old man on Social Security to another, please allow me to correct a misunderstanding; I'm 65.

Bovine feces not withstanding, a six minute shave suits me just fine, thank you very much.

Any time you want to have a debate, just name your topic and choose your side.

Best regards

You picked the topic, already, and my response is still the same. (YMMV).

Roman414:

Thank your for the endorsement about BBS.

You said a great truth, "... slow, careful shaving..."

We should know why we're making each stroke and not let ourselves drift to "automatic."

Turn off the radio, the television, and the tap. Listen to the razor. Be mindful of everything that's happening. Shaving can be a Zen moment and can be one of the peaceful moments of our day.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

AND DO IT ALL IN SIX MINUTES!:lol::lol::lol:

Pogo:

Obviously, I'm a little new here, and I do enjoy reading about everyone else's technique/philosophy and comparing them to my own. Thanks for providing a very comprehensive and (for lack of a more kind-hearted term) opinionated view. One quick question for you (below).

Blade08:

Nevertheless, I can make several general suggestions:

1. Map the direction of your beard grain on paper. The discipline of reducing it to paper will reveal indiosyncrasies in the grain you didn't know existed.

2. Shave slowly, deliberately, and mindfully. You should know why you're making each stroke. Never shave on "automatic."

3. Never bear down.

4. Never use a dull blade.

5. Keep your lather wet.

6. Rinse your blade frequently.

7. Resist the urge to go over an area a second time; if you do take a second stroke, you'll never learn to make each stroke count.

8. Never wipe your blade.

Hope this answers your question and helps.

Your first seven points make complete sense. Can you elaborate on number eight? Are you suggesting not wiping the blade against your face? Hands? Towel?

Thanks.

Roman414:

I found this: http://www.wisegeek.com/why-do-men-go-bald.htm when I Googled: "why do men go bald." It seems to negate baldness being of Y chromosome origin.

I found this: http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/beard.asp when I Googled "Why don't women have beards." The answer doesn't satisfy me; it doesn't explain why women have hairy axillae and genitalia but not facial hair. It seems just a pile of words and more teleologic reasoning.

Our ignorance persists.

Best personal regards.

Give a woman testosterone and she will develop facial hair. Men who are androgen insensitive will also display some secondary sex characteristics of women.

P

Pogo

DogcatcherDrew:

Rather than admitting I'm opinionated, I prefer to see myself as having a fully developed philosophy about shaving.

As far as not wiping your blade: some people will wipe their blade on a towel when they're finished shaving, perhaps thinking they will prevent rust or the build-up of calcium salts. It's the consensus that this wiping dulls the blade. Merkur blade dispensers include a card advising against blade wiping.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

P

Pogo

Howard Newell:

I think you've hit on it. Your explanation is clear and cogent.

It's the relative balance of testosterone and estrogen that determines the appearance of secondary sexual characteristics.

Another benefit of this community providing a forum for sharing ideas.

Best personal regards.

DogcatcherDrew:

Rather than admitting I'm opinionated, I prefer to see myself as having a fully developed philosophy about shaving.

As far as not wiping your blade: some people will wipe their blade on a towel when they're finished shaving, perhaps thinking they will prevent rust or the build-up of calcium salts. It's the consensus that this wiping dulls the blade. Merkur blade dispensers include a card advising against blade wiping.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

I think "a fully developed philosophy that you are willing to share and discuss" is a great way to put it. That's more of what I was going for :)

That kind of makes sense about why people might dry the blade off on a towel. I agree that it makes more sense to just give the razor a few good shakes and set it on a stand.

Thanks,
Drew

That wiping might be a hold-over from the days when blades were made of non-coated carbon steel. I tried some Treet Blues, didn't wipe them, just gave the razor a shake. They got rusty in a couple of days.

P

Pogo

Roman414:

I'm certain you're correct.

My father used Gillettte thin blades and the interior of his Super Speed was a rusty nighmare.

Best personal regards.

i have to disagree with you Pogo, you say that your face pays when yo do multiple passes,

if i am not mistaken that can be corrected even the most sensitive skin can take multiple passes with a blade that suits you with a razor that also suits you and enough lather to provide the cushion and slickness you need

i have sensitive skin myself, but using a futur on 1 and using a crystal blade i can do up to 5-6 passes with no ingrown hairs and irritation

so can you please elaborate on why you still get irritation and ingrowns on multiple passes?

P

Pogo

krayziehustler:

Well, here's an example of YMMV.

I've been shaving over half a century and experience has taught me that, regardless of the shave setup, multiple passes give me folliculitis, razor burn, and ingrown hairs.

Hope this explanation helps.

Good luck.

krayziehustler:

Well, here's an example of YMMV.

I've been shaving over half a century and experience has taught me that, regardless of the shave setup, multiple passes give me folliculitis, razor burn, and ingrown hairs.

Hope this explanation helps.

Good luck.

have you ever tried using a straight, sorry if im persistent but i believe that hair is meant to be knocked down w/o irritation and ingrowns

P

Pogo

Krayziehuslter:

Yes, I tried a straight (actually something like a Shavette). It gave me a good enough shave (and no nicks); however, I like the convenience of a double-edge and I'm not dextrous enough to wield a straight for cross-the-grain or against-the grain swipes.

Please help me understand something: if I'm getting an exceptionally good shave with a single-pass, with-the-grain technique; and I'm avoiding folliculitis, razor burn, and ingrown hairs; why is it important to you that I do multiple passes?

Thank you.

Hello, again. Interesting thread here. I'm back after a day off. I must say the comments have gone far afield. Much of the "off topic" comments are just amusing or maybe a bit irritating (and I don't mean to the face).

However, one idea is so bass-ackwards that comment, I must. The question of why "we" developed facial hair is not so much the issue as why "we" don't have pelts over our whole bodies. Other great apes (I am proud to count myself among them--others of you might try to deny this, but such is false pride) are lushly hirsute with species variation. Butts and cheeks may lack the pelt. I am no expert in this so some of you might know the specifics much better than I.

Anyway, we did not "develop" facial hair as much as we lost most of the hairs elsewhere. Sigh. It gets complicated, I fear, because the exact "kind" of hair we are left with is not the same on our arms as on our heads. I won't go there because of vast ignorance of the details.

How on Earth we got to these far flung issues escapes me. I thought we were discussing the merits or lack of merit of a no frills, once over, anhedonic, low cost, low time and effort shave. What did I miss other than an evolutionary cul-de-sac?

P

Pogo

bookmark:

Good questions.

We certainly violated unity of theme.

You bring up an excellent point. Undoubtedly we lost hair on most of our bodies as we evolved from brachiators to pedestrians.

Why did we lose our hair? I remember reading _The Naked Ape_ by Desmond Morris 30 or 40 years ago. The answer was probably there but I forget it.

Why do different parts of our body have different types of hair? I don't know.

Why are the patches of hair in our axillae diamond-shaped? I don't know.

Why is the suprapubic hair patch diamond-shaped in men and triangle-shaped in women? I don't know.

We're going further and further afield and are now in the high grass and weeds, completely lost.

Maybe a member of the community has answers.

Best personal regards.

However, one idea is so bass-ackwards that comment, I must.

The idea that I mentioned was just an explanation of how men retained facial hair. I didn't intend for it to be taken as the Gospel truth, but if you have any other idea of why we specifically have hair that serves no purpose, I'd love to hear it.

PS The idea I mentioned also included sexual preference to explain nipple and genital color variations in distinct populations.

P

Pogo

Howard Newell:

Good grief! We're really out in the weeds.

Perhaps a moderator could cut and paste these comments into a new thread; however, I wouldn't know how to title it.

Best personal regards.

I don't "know" the answer to these why-questions any more than you do (maybe less) but I do know that genetic pressures may not be "ON" the genes we spend our mental energy discussing. For example, a strain of algae that is green might be supressed by an algicide except for some mutants. Those mutants would grow out because they are resistant to the algicide AND that mutant strain might be brown. They did not survive BECAUSE they are brown; they survived because they were resistant to the algicide AND the surviving strain just happens to be brown. SOOOO....males might develop facial hair in response to testosterone because that is what happened when most of the other "humanoids" were wiped out by a plague that killed off 99.99% of the "humanoid" population and the only ones who made it through the plague just happened to be mostly low-hair mutants except for the faces, etc. when hit by testosterone. I am sure we can come up with a better story. Want to write a screenplay?

Ain't no way I'll ever disagree with you. Damn! You quote Latin. I can't quote anything except one phrase I memorized. It is a good phrase though. Useful in almost all situations and one that is sure to make one popular: "We're number one!" I use this for all sports related discussions, politics, world trade discussions, and more. It seems to make people happy and it makes me very popular. The one place I would consider supressing my one-phrase-fits-all is in a gathering of FBI agents talking about the "most wanted list".

That one book you wrote wouldn't have been the King James Version, would it?

Top Bottom