Pogo

Ontario:

Thank you for the compliment.

It's a pleasure to contribute.

P

Pogo

Michaelskar:

Thank you for your question.

Respectfully, don't get hung up on brands of superfatted soap. Buy the one you can find at your local store.

Hope this helps.

P

Pogo

Studdg:

Amen to your comments.

It's a poor workman who blames his tools.

P

Pogo

Lucius:

Thanks for the compliments. I've only written one very short book.

May I respectfully refer you to my post in the newbies forum, "Dutch Uncle Help for Newbies."

Hope this help.

Good luck.

P

Pogo

Roman414:

Thank you for your comments.

If you feel your annoyance of stubble after your shave is irrational, that should tell you what to work on

Your post shows that we all have to find our own way.

Good luck.

P

Pogo

Antique Hoosier:

Thank you.

Your point about diversity of opinion is critically important. We grow and improve when we encounter challenges and different Weltenschauungs. The path to good shaves is eclectic and without end.

As responsible adults, it would be antithetic to allow another to dictate our beliefs and how we conduct our private lives.

Good luck.

P

Pogo

crankymoose:

Thanks for the compliment.

I'm originally from Philadelphia.

Best regards.

From one old geezer to another:

Just like two old cranky bastards, sitting on their AARP cards, playing cribbagge...I can only say one thing:

"BULL****"

I disagree with you. What the hell? You're 62 and your life is so full you can only give up 6 minutes a day to shave? Why not use a M3 and get it done with in 2 minutes?

:lol::lol::lol:

WELCOME, though...always happy to have another geezer around here

P

Pogo

Mr. Gillette:

From one cranky, AARP-card-carrying old man on Social Security to another, please allow me to correct a misunderstanding; I'm 65.

Bovine feces not withstanding, a six minute shave suits me just fine, thank you very much.

Any time you want to have a debate, just name your topic and choose your side.

Best regards

Pogo, your post is a good one. I don't share all of your sentiments. I like using a brush and enjoy my small collection of a few cheap boars and one or two budget badgers. I wouldn't regularly use a disposable as I prefer the weight and downright artfulness of a well made classic Gillette DE. As for BBS, If a fellow wants it and has developed the technique to achieve it without inflicting personal damage, then good for him. Unfortunately, for many shavers BBS is a standard that is compulsively pursued. Failure to meet the standard is seen as a personal deficiency that needs correction or an inopportune inheritance of bad skin and/or wild hair growth patterns that must be compensated for with advanced techniques, oils, moisturizers, and balms. All for a few hours of stubble-free silky skin. The appeal escapes me.

Welcome aboard and enjoy your stay.

Well hell, isn't shaving itself irrational? Facial hair is no doubt there for some reason. And if you don't like it, why not just go to a dermatologist and have the follicles zapped either chemically or electrically, and be done with it forever? Cheaper in the long run, I am sure, and look at all the time you save during a lifetime.
Me, I enjoy a good shave. And I don't like having stubble when I put the razor down. Rationality be damned.

P

Pogo

Straight Arrow:

Thank you for your compliment.

I agree with everything in your post.

The thought occurs to me that we have inherited _ab ovo_ the unquestioned quest for a baby-butt-smooth (BBS) shave as an article of faith. Few have pondered the worthiness of the goal. The phrase _non impediti ratione cogitationis conloquium currus_ comes to mind.

As you said, the hair always wins. I can't understand why some of us (or all of us on occassion) will inflict injury on ourselves for such a fleeting accomplishment.

Best personal regards.

P

Pogo

Roman414:

Yes, indeed, shaving is irrational.

I have no idea why facial hair evolved, and why in men and not in women? If both sexes develop hairy axillae and genitalia, why not faces also?

Regardless of what you might have heard, there is no absolute method to go permanently from hirsute to glabrous artificially other than disfiguring burns (chemical, thermal, or ionizing radiation).

I enjoy a good shave also.

We are irrational and the world doesn't always make sense.

You make a lot of sense about the BBS thing. I will not sacrifice a layer or two of skin chasing that last molecule of whisker. If the choice were between stubble and irritation I would grow a beard. But I have discovered that with a gentle blade...for my face it is a Dorco or a Merkur...and slow, careful shaving, I can eliminate any feel-able stubble and get no irritation.
Interesting point about women not having whiskers. I can't imagine why that is.

Roman414:

I have no idea why facial hair evolved, and why in men and not in women? If both sexes develop hairy axillae and genitalia, why not faces also?

Hair in those areas is to reduce friction. I'm sure you've heard of masons carrying hods and developing one hairy shoulder. As far as facial hair, one idea I heard from an anthropological field was that the women in colder climates found really hairy men more virile than their smooth skinned brethren, so the hairy guys got all the babes and passed on their hairy genes. I keep using this an excuse for my back hair with the ladies. No takers so far.

P

Pogo

Roman414:

Thank your for the endorsement about BBS.

You said a great truth, "... slow, careful shaving..."

We should know why we're making each stroke and not let ourselves drift to "automatic."

Turn off the radio, the television, and the tap. Listen to the razor. Be mindful of everything that's happening. Shaving can be a Zen moment and can be one of the peaceful moments of our day.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

P

Pogo

Howard Newell:

I've heard the one about reducing friction but the hod-carrier theory is new to me.

The stories don't ring true to me and sound like teleologic reasoning. Children are active; don't they need friction-reduction also? Why would Nordic women prefer hairy guys but Mediterranean, African, and Asian women not? Why does nonscalp hair develop at puberty? It seems linked to our sex hormones.

We don't have the answers yet. I have to live with my ignorance.

Best personal regards.

Yet more men than women go bald. "Male pattern baldness" is carried on the Y chromosome which women don't have. Maybe hairy faces are linked to that Y chromosome also?

P

Pogo

Roman414:

I found this: http://www.wisegeek.com/why-do-men-go-bald.htm when I Googled: "why do men go bald." It seems to negate baldness being of Y chromosome origin.

I found this: http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/beard.asp when I Googled "Why don't women have beards." The answer doesn't satisfy me; it doesn't explain why women have hairy axillae and genitalia but not facial hair. It seems just a pile of words and more teleologic reasoning.

Our ignorance persists.

Best personal regards.

Top Bottom