What's new

A Geezer Discusses Shaving

It doesn't bother me as a member when these topics wander a bit. One thing naturally leads to another...I remember a technical discussion about radio antennas that morphed into a four hour argument about who was probably sleeping with whom on Gilligan's island. It just kind of happens, especially in the wee midwatch hours.

P

Pogo

bookmark:

Wow!

A subtle insight.

I certainly don't know if this explains beards, but I'm fascinated with the concept and will spend the day wool-gathering on it.

Thank you for the explanation.

Best personal regards.

P

Pogo

bookmark:

Please don't attribute intellectual vigor to me; I know I don't deserve it. You gobsmacked me with your explanation of environmental pressure selectively supporting mutations.

Please don't confuse my stock of Latin phrases to be familiarity with Latin; they're only literary devices. I have learned to say, _Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur_ (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin).

Incidently, what is the Latin for "We're number one"? I want to add it to my list.

The book I wrote was merely a short technical manual on how to write radiology reports.

_Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista line in lingua Latina_. (Google it; you'll laugh.)

Best personal regards.

P

Pogo

Roman411:

We have certainly been discursive and it's been fun.

Perhaps this is an example of why the jokes get better as the evening gets longer.

You may have lost your tip, but not your point.

Best personal regards.

Phew! It is a relief to know I don't need to go out for a copy of "Latin For Dummies". I'll bet the Cliff's Notes "Philosophy of Ciccero" and "Works of Pliny" go for a song on Amazon these days. Maybe I should order them just to be sure I can keep up in future ramblings here. Back to face scraping!

It doesn't bother me as a member when these topics wander a bit. One thing naturally leads to another...I remember a technical discussion about radio antennas that morphed into a four hour argument about who was probably sleeping with whom on Gilligan's island. It just kind of happens, especially in the wee midwatch hours.

BTW...it was the professor and ginger...you may have thought mary ann...but it was ginger

I went back to the start of this thread by Prof. Pogo. The ideas are solid though not the only way. I know the professor agrees with that. The pre-shave wash with a high fat soap is a basic easy and inexpensive good idea. Shaving "with the grain" surely cuts down on skin irritation and is the way to go for those with sensitive skin or frequent in-grown hairs.

The tube shave cream I can back for travel but, when home, a brush (any reasonable kind of bristle you want) frothed lather feels better and does not add to expense or time. The soap in the shaving bowel can be any good quality mild soap (try a hunk of Kirk's Original--it cuts to size with a serrated bread knife, if needed). If I want to be fancy, one drop of "aroma therapy" type smelly stuff adds to the experience. Or...after the pre-wash with the high fat soap, try pre-oiling the face with two or three drops of almond oil or similar food quality oil. Then the lather.

Sir Pogo prefers to shower after shaving and, generally, so do I but not for the same reason. My mirror steams up if I shower first. If one does not shower after shaving, try using a smallish towel held first under hot tap water, squeezed dry, and then applied for a couple minutes to the face--feels good, removes excess lather/cream, and opens those little pores.

After that you are ready for the apres shave ritual of your choice. Some people use balms, some splashes, I apply espresso internally (I believe those oils eventually work their way to the beard by way of the blood stream--don't skimp on this step), in some cultures they throw themselves into the icy waters of a fjord (luckily, we don't have any fjords around here--which keeps the temptation to try that down).

A modified Pogo method...voila tout.

P

Pogo

bookmark:

An excellent post.

It broadens horizons and keeps us from drifting into stagnant orthodoxy.

Best personal regards.

Just wondering if any others here have tried the pre-lather oil?

For those with sensitive skin, it will decrease razor burn; for everyone it makes the razor just glide. The cost is next to nothing because the stuff is inexpensive to start with and because so little is used for a shave. Next to the sink, I keep a small bottle with a dropper built into the cap; this I fill from the store-bought oil bottle. I think the last bottle was 8oz. I keep that in the fridge to retard the rancid oil change--not that one can't use rancid oil but I don't like the smell. I most like almond oil or apricot pit oil of those I have tried. Safflower oil is quite adequate as is canola. Some use olive oil but again, I prefer the smell of that on salads rather than on my face. There must be dozens that would work but I have not tried them. Finally, for those who worry that the oil will make their faces oily or give them acne, it won't. Most of the extremely small amount used comes off with the lather as the shave is done. Any which remains on the skin is harmless and could even help keep the skin supple. Avoid using large amounts of the oil, not because it is bad for you but because you will have trouble working up a lather.

Cheers.

Pogo,

I very much enjoyed your perspective.

But see below where I think you are saying that disposables are OK for day-to-day....not just for travel.

I’ve learned that a single-blade razor is all that is necessary and will do the least damage to my skin. However, multiple-blade razors can do an excellent job and do only minimal skin damage if you make a solitary with-the-grain pass. Pivot head razors don’t require you to pursue the golden 30-degree angle; they take care of it for you.

Razor companies charge more for refill blades for their reusable handles than they do for disposable razors. They work on the premise that you believe the blades are better in the refills than in the disposable razors. I don’t believe that; it’s my opinion that, with negligible exceptions, the steel and the blade coatings are functionally identical and I resent being Gillette’s or Schick’s *****. Bic Sensitive disposable single-blade razors aren’t so bad. If you can get over paying less than 25 cents for a razor, you might find yourself satisfied and richer. They last me at least three days each.

If your approach is to be sensible and minimalist, why the disposables?

Even the Bic Sensitive...which I like as an emergency or travel razor....is not sensible or minimalist. It is personally convenient, low cost but in my view an ecological loser.

One of the real benefits of DE is the smaller ecological footprint. Less trash and less ecological burden on the system as a whole.

Wouldn't it be better to use a Feather Portable or Gillette Travel or an injector.

A DE or injector can give a one-pass you prefer....why not go minimalist?

Jerry 10016

P

Pogo

Jerry10016:

You're right, of course.

Double-edge shaving is unquestionably greener than disposables.

I'll work on doing better.

Thank you.

Top Bottom