What's new

A Family of Mama Bears- A review

Howdy all! Recently I received a very generous PIF from GUYGARR of several Mama Bears' samples, and I'd like to give a few impressions of my experiences with them. First off, I have never used any soaps from this maker before, and I always approach a new soap (especially an artisanal one) with a certain amount of trepidation. I've read a few comments around here about people having adverse reactions to them, so all the more caution was warranted. But, "Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained", Eh? Please forgive my lack of pictures; My old camera finally gave up the ghost, and I do not have a smart phone. Here we go!
Initial Impressions: Upon first opening the package, I was immediately surprised by the fact that they appear to be glycerin soaps. YMMV, of course, but I tend to be a tallow-lovin guy (Fat-Bottomed girls make the rockin' world go 'round, right?). I've liked what I've tried from Shaving Yeti, so I was determined to give these a fair shake. I will post each scent in a different post, as I work through them. Fair warning, I only shave every other day, so this may take a while. I first melted each quarter-puck into a small Tupperware bowl for ease of lathering. I will use the same razor (MD Dragon shavette), blade (Feather, cut in half), brush (Rein Dachs pure badger), and aftershave treatment (Alum and AV Ice Blue) for each one, so as to give the most objective review. At first whiff, most of the scents seemed to be quite floral, and I should note that I do not care for floral scents. But, you can't judge a book by it's, errr, smell. The Oatmeal stout appeals to me quite a bit though; it will be my first test.

Last edited:
Day one- Oatmeal Stout.
I picked this one to go first last night, as it was the first scent that grabbed my fancy out of the chute. I do love a nice Guinness...:001_rolle I soaked the mini-puck and brush while I showered, then set to loading and face-lathering. Didn't take as long as I would expect to load the brush satisfactorily, and the pre-lather that built up was surprisingly thick. I love the scent, even prior to application- toasty, nutty, and deeply comforting.
First Pass: After a vigorous face-lathering, I set to my first pass (WTG). I'm comfortable enough with my shavettes that I can shave pretty quickly, but that wasn't the point. I took my time, both in order to evaluate the lather longevity and to enjoy the experience. The lather was surprising- very slick- a quality I often associate with glycerin soaps- but also quite cushion-ey. It was also shockingly long-lasting. My first pass took about 5 minutes, and I didn't have any trouble with it drying out or falling flat.
Second Pass: Rinsed my face to re-wet it, loaded up again, and lathered up. It took a little longer to get a satisfactory lather this time, perhaps as I had less stubble to whip against. The lather was still well within my acceptable parameters, though perhaps a little drier and "tougher" than with the first pass. I wasn't concerned; this is pretty common with my second passes, perhaps since the longer lathering time lets a little more moisture escape from the lather. Second pass (XTG) was quite satisfactory; despite the "tougher" lather, it more than made up for it in slickness. This allowed me to complete my second pass with no problems. Rinsed with warm water, applied alum, rinsed with cold water, splash on AV, done.
End result- I'm quite impressed! It was an initial DFS (I never go for BBS, as my face doesn't like it), and has remained so till now, about 14 hours later. No nicks or weepers, a little mild irritation on the sides of neck (I have a whorl over each carotid, so that's normal. Nothing AV can't soothe). The scent stuck to my skin tenaciously; not necessarily a bad thing with this one, since one of my coworkers likened it to fresh-baked bread. I can see it being problematic with the more floral scents, however. Time will tell. Regardless of the olfactory ramifications, I am excited to continue this experiment, if only for the results.

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Your assessment is bang-on with why I LOVE Mama Bears soaps! Ease of lather, great scents, and the glide and protection needed for straights.

Mama Bear is my everyday soap. I think you will find they all perform equally well with scent being the biggest variable. Don't dismiss the floral scents though, they are some of my favorites.

Nice review! I have a few (like 6) that I have waiting for their turn. I should get to them sometime before the end of 2017.

Day Two- Tahitian Flowers- I know, I said I don't like florals- and it's true- but this one was special. I read on Mama Bear's site that this one is primarily gardenia-scented, and my beloved grandmother always grew gardenias and wore gardenia perfume. Today marking a year since she passed away, I thought it would be apropos. Mea culpa, my friends; mea culpa...
Initial Impressions- Off the puck, this one has a very pronounced floral scent, not unlike the gardenia perfume I remember so well from my youth. It's nearly colorless and crystal-clear, as are most glycerin soaps. I set the puck and soap to soak while I showered, then set to it.
The shave- I think I'm getting closer to the golden ratio with these soaps, by pure dumb luck. Loading and lathering took less time than any soap I have ever used, and I discovered these puppies like a LOT of water. The gardenia scent got even stronger when lathered, and I think I detect just a hint of pear. Face-lathered as usual and set to my WTG pass. During the first pass, I noticed a slight tingling, almost a tightening in my skin. "Huh", I wondered aloud. "Is this what people are talking about when they say they have a bad reaction to a soap? This isn't so bad. Kind of like alum." My skin is not particularly sensitive; I've only had a bad reaction to one soap, and it was another artisan glycerin soap. Lather was very slick and even more fluffy than last time; very nice. The scent, while not something I would care for in a vacuum, brought back fond childhood memories. Lost in my nostalgic idyll, I finished and loaded up for the next pass (XTG).
The lather wasn't as tough as last time, at first glance. About thirty seconds after it hit my face, just as I was setting down my brush, it hit me. HOLY BLEEPING BLEEP-BLEEP BLEEPITY-BLEEP! IT BURNS!:cursing: I cried this aloud, causing my fiancé to run into the bathroom; she knows when I start cursing, something hilarious just happened. Perhaps due to the endorphin release, my mind went totally off the rails. I envisioned grinning crimson imps whipping lather in human skulls, dragging jagged, rusty razors over brimstone, all backed by the cacophonous, mindless cackling of the Abyss.:a51: Gentlemen, the Abyss smells like flowers. I vaulted into the shower to wash my face off, thus discovering that hot water is not the appropriate way to soothe a burning face. After stepping out, my face beet-red and all aflame, all my fiancé could say was, "You smell like flowers." I finished the shave with Stirling Glacial and topped it with AV Ice Blue, as promised, but I had to add something else- Gillette Cool gel. I NEVER use a balm or gel of any kind; it's only there for times when my brother stays over. Well, I needed it this time. The scent, mercifully, did not survive the second pass. DFS, as much as I could. The menthol and tallow helped soothe the burn a little, but my face is still a little tender; no faceturbating today!
As to what I will do with this puck, I am unsure. Melanie (my fiancé) liked the smell and asked if she could have it as a body soap. I'm certainly not going to use it again, so it's hers now. I will continue on with this experiment, but I will be sure to test-lather each one first and do a sensitivity test on my wrists. I would rather not repeat this morning's fiasco. Next up: Mountain Waters, coming Wednsday. I need time to lick my wounded pride. :crying:

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Sounds like an EO/FO reaction tp me. Nuke it a little (short 8 sec bursts) to semi-liquify it and then let it cool again. That will burn off some of the EO/FOs and you should end up with a milder version of the soap.

Thank you for the tip, Sam. I think I'd like to try that before I give up on it completely. I can't deny that the lather was one of the best I've had in a long time (almost in the same category as Tabac), and I think I could grow to like that scent, with repeated use.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
You're most welcome. If you're still getting a reaction, cut off a piece and zap the daylights out of in until you've basically got an unscented soap...... your house won't be unscented though. :tongue_sm See how that works. Not all of Sue's soaps are strongly scented and I'm sure she'll be able to provide you with some recommendations if it really is an EO/FO issue.

Day Three- Mountain Waters- My pride still bruised from the scorching I got Monday, I was a little smarter with this one and tested it on my wrists first. I got a bit of redness and a slight burning there, and given how much tougher the skin on my arms and hands is than my face, I elected to take Rockviper's advice to heart and cook it a bit before using it. I gave it 4 rounds of 30-second/high power blasts in the microwave, just enough to liquefy it and make if fume without scorching it. I let it cool completely each time, as well as taking note of the scent that rose from the melted soap. This one is a little difficult to describe; I was expecting a very aquatic "fresh" scent, maybe a Cool Water clone. On her website, Sue states that it is modeled after Creed's Silver Mountain Water, of which I have no experience. Regardless, it was considerably more earthy than I was expecting, with notes of dark fruits, citrus, and what might have been a light dose of musk. Not what I was expecting, but nice on it's own merits. Not something I would seek out, but certainly not offensive or off-putting. After 4 rounds of melting and cooling, I figured I had cooked out enough of the FO/EO to be safe.
The Shave- As with my past two tests, I set the puck and brush to soak while I showered. Afterwards, loading and lathering went smoothly. A little more patience was required than last time, but not much; even cooked to death, these soaps are still lather bombs. The scent was still present, though considerably muted. This was my goal, since I still like a nice scent to my lather (perhaps why I can't stand Arko, MWF, or Williams). I just wanted to avoid a repeat of Monday's excitement :tongue_sm. The first pass went well, no pre-burn tingling to speak of. I must say that while I am not the biggest fan of these scents, I have to admire the craftsmanship of a soap that holds an excellent lather after being nuked enough to kill Roachzilla. Second pass went smoothly, too; Remembering that these soaps are thirsty little buggers helped to ameliorate the "toughness" I have gotten so accustomed to on my second pass. Perhaps I will gain more than just an new beloved artisan from this experiment. No burning this time either.
End result- DFS, some spots of CCS. That's about as good as I ever get. I'm thinking at the end of this run, I might try breaking my long-standing rule and do a three-pass WTG/XTG/ATG shave, with BBS as the goal. If these soaps can do it without making me feel like my skin is on fire, it will be a first. Perhaps due to the "Radar Love" it got, the scent didn't really stick to me this time. No problem, since m'lady does love the smell of AV. The aftershave feeling was, well, just kind of "Meh". Not bad, no burning or irritation, but no real softening or moisturizing either. Didn't need the balm this time, so that goes in the positive column. Tomorrow- Sensual. Oh my...:blush:

Day Three- Mountain Waters- My pride still bruised from the scorching I got Monday, I was a little smarter with this one and tested it on my wrists first. I got a bit of redness and a slight burning there, and given how much tougher the skin on my arms and hands is than my face, I elected to take Rockviper's advice to heart and cook it a bit before using it. I gave it 4 rounds of 30-second/high power blasts in the microwave, just enough to liquefy it and make it fume without scorching it. I let it cool completely each time, as well as taking note of the scent that rose from the melted soap. This one is a little difficult to describe; I was expecting a very aquatic "fresh" scent, maybe a Cool Water clone. On her website, Sue states that it is modeled after Creed's Silver Mountain Water, of which I have no experience. Regardless, it was considerably more earthy than I was expecting, with notes of dark fruits, citrus, and what might have been a light dose of musk. Not what I was expecting, but nice on it's own merits. Not something I would seek out, but certainly not offensive or off-putting. After 4 rounds of melting and cooling, I figured I had cooked out enough of the FO/EO to be safe.
The Shave- As with my past two tests, I set the puck and brush to soak while I showered. Afterwards, loading and lathering went smoothly. A little more patience was required than last time, but not much; even cooked to death, these soaps are still lather bombs. The scent was still present, though considerably muted. This was my goal, since I still like a nice scent to my lather (perhaps why I can't stand Arko, MWF, or Williams). I just wanted to avoid a repeat of Monday's excitement :tongue_sm. The first pass went well, no pre-burn tingling to speak of. I must say that while I am not the biggest fan of these scents, I have to admire the craftsmanship of a soap that holds an excellent lather after being nuked enough to kill Roachzilla. Second pass went smoothly, too; Remembering that these soaps are thirsty little buggers helped to ameliorate the "toughness" I have gotten so accustomed to on my second pass. Perhaps I will gain more than just an new beloved artisan from this experiment. No burning this time either.
End result- DFS, some spots of CCS. That's about as good as I ever get. I'm thinking at the end of this run, I might try breaking my long-standing rule and do a three-pass WTG/XTG/ATG shave, with BBS as the goal. If these soaps can do it without making me feel like my skin is on fire, it will be a first. Perhaps due to the "Radar Love" it got, the scent didn't really stick to me this time. No problem, since m'lady does love the smell of AV. The aftershave feeling was, well, just kind of "Meh". Not bad, no burning or irritation, but no real softening or moisturizing either. Didn't need the balm this time, so that goes in the positive column. Tomorrow- Sensual. Ooh la la...:blush:

Last edited:
Day Four- Sensual- I was in a little bit of a hurry this morning (got called in early to work), but I think I still gave this a decent spin. Tested it on my wrists last night; no reaction, so I figure I'm ok to go. Set the puck and brush to soak while I showered, then set to it. I'm a little on the fence about this one's scent, which means I'll probably love it the next time I try it. It has some similarities with Stirling Ben Franklin (one of my all-time favorites), minus benzoin and plus vanilla. I have a confession: I don't like vanilla, whether in my ice cream or my soap. But I do love spiced sandalwoods, and in this case the vanilla adds a nice roundness to the scent. As I have noted in my previous tests, the scent became even more pronounced when lathered. Lather was wonderful again, perhaps a little better than the cooked puck I used last time (which was still very good). Two passes, Alum, rinse, AV.
The Aftermath- DFS, some spots of CCS. I did notice a little bit of irritation on the sides of my neck, over those troublesome carotid whorls. A little worse than normal, but I'm chalking that up to being in a hurry rather than the soap. The scent that clung to my skin mixed nicely with the AV, turning it into a kind of soft incense-like aroma. It's sticking very close, but I like it, if nothing else. Another win for Mama. It's a working weekend, so my next review probably will not be until Monday. Fall Leaves is the next up, I believe. I'm interested to try it; I like woody scents. Ciao!

Top Bottom