What's new

A difference between old and new Rex Ambassador

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That is a very beautiful piece of machining. And a very interesting explanation by the owner as to why he did what he has done with it. Thank you all for sharing your thoughts!

I had an O3 (3rd quarter, 2019) dated one that I bought direct from RE in late December of 2019. I only kept it for a little over a month. I just found it to be too much blade feel even at its lowest settings. It actually felt like the blade was not curved enough. I tried many different angles: ride the cap; ride the guard; everyhting in between, same excessive blade feel, rough feeling. Now, it's something I could deal with if I shaved less frequently, but as a 6 days per week shaver, it was simply not the feel I wanted. Since selling it, and reading many, many more impressions of the Ambassador, I sometimes wonder if I had a defective unit.

All that said, I love the design so much...and the grippiness of the handle is to die for. I kick around the idea of buying another, 2021 version, direct from RE again, even though I took a ~ $75 loss when I sold my O3-dated version almost a year ago.

I had an O3 (3rd quarter, 2019) dated one that I bought direct from RE in late December of 2019. I only kept it for a little over a month. I just found it to be too much blade feel even at its lowest settings. It actually felt like the blade was not curved enough. I tried many different angles: ride the cap; ride the guard; everyhting in between, same excessive blade feel, rough feeling. Now, it's something I could deal with if I shaved less frequently, but as a 6 days per week shaver, it was simply not the feel I wanted. Since selling it, and reading many, many more impressions of the Ambassador, I sometimes wonder if I had a defective unit.

All that said, I love the design so much...and the grippiness of the handle is to die for. I kick around the idea of buying another, 2021 version, direct from RE again, even though I took a ~ $75 loss when I sold my O3-dated version almost a year ago.
Unlikely with an O. They had most of the issues ironed out by then, particularly with regard to the blade alignment. You still get the occasional QC/QA issue coming out of the shop (my P2 had one) but it's mostly stuck adjuster knobs these days (that was the problem with mine).

Just an update on my Ambassador. I adjusted the setting each day up a number until I reached 6.5. I've been shaving at this setting for the last few days. The shaves don't seem noticeably closer at the higher settings, but they seem to last longer before stubble peeks thru at the highest settings. The only other razor I have that gives me comparible shaves would be my Merkur Futur. The edge the Ambassador has is I get zero irritation with it. I love this razor.

Same here. I have been using my Rex daily since I received it 2 years ago. I still use others on occasion but the Rex is my goto. I almost never go past 2.5 and that suits me just fine.

Matt the own of Rex has stated in several U-Tube the REX has evoked with time to make it better.

Living close to his shop, he sell BLEMS, honestly the Blem is difficult to see.

Lady was show me Ambassador that was blem, she pointed out buying tool mark.

Honestly it was nothing most people could find.

She said our customer are picky, so this tiny mark is big deal to PERFECTION'S.

Top Bottom