What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Nothing special today. Playing new bullets aka Lapua Scenar 300gr. I like the QC on these and they are cheaper than Sierra SMKs if you know where to look. Found a node at 97gr of Ramshot and touching the lands I pushed all the way to 101.5grs (2933fps) with little pressure signs but there's no point really except wearing out the barrel and the brass. Tomorrow I find the jump node.

You guys have no idea how jealous I am of you right now. It will be 109 today in Phx. I will play this game of sitting in my truck with the AC cranking, jump out, hit a few targets, jump back in AC, repeat.
Anyway, today I will pound my shoulder with this Finnish M39.
C699F2B2-2ED0-45A4-869F-01C1ED1CE02F.jpeg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
You guys have no idea how jealous I am of you right now. It will be 109 today in Phx. I will play this game of sitting in my truck with the AC cranking, jump out, hit a few targets, jump back in AC, repeat.
Anyway, today I will pound my shoulder with this Finnish M39.
View attachment 1126021

Yes, and you should!

"The Queen of the Mosins," M39 is the best of the breed! Round or hex receiver?

SKy?

EDIT: Looks hex. Original sling, too?

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Had a problem with my handgun.

I was unloading my Colt 1903 that was made in 1919 before putting it back in the safe. Magazine out and unloaded and then I needed to clear the chamber. The slide simply wouldn't budge.

Now one thing I don't do is put a semi-automatic away with one in the chamber but the range at my LGS is closed during the Covid-19 since they are trying to minimize the number of folk in the place. I gave them a call though and they said I could sneak in to fire off the round. I drove over and went in, turning on lights as I entered, picked two lanes with me in one and just my hand and the pistol on the other side and squeezed the trigger. Bang; slide cycles, case flies, all better now. Found the case and it looked okay so not swollen or bulged or split our oval.

Got home and cleaned the gun even though it was just one shot and no signs if any issue in chamber or barrel. Looked the slide and frame over carefully and again, nothing out of norm. This particular 1903 does have a very tight slide to frame fit but nothing excessive; no where near what I've found to be the norm on some Berettas.

Put it all back together and filled the magazine with snap caps and everything cycled normally. I must admit I really have no idea what the problem was and since the gun fired and cycled it was not an issue that would have been a problem if used in a self defense situation but would definitely been embarrassing had I been told to clear my weapon when on the line.

Please, just one more down range sir and it will be clear! Seldom gets a positive response from my experience.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Had a problem with my handgun.

I was unloading my Colt 1903 that was made in 1919 before putting it back in the safe. Magazine out and unloaded and then I needed to clear the chamber. The slide simply wouldn't budge.

Now one thing I don't do is put a semi-automatic away with one in the chamber but the range at my LGS is closed during the Covid-19 since they are trying to minimize the number of folk in the place. I gave them a call though and they said I could sneak in to fire off the round. I drove over and went in, turning on lights as I entered, picked two lanes with me in one and just my hand and the pistol on the other side and squeezed the trigger. Bang; slide cycles, case flies, all better now. Found the case and it looked okay so not swollen or bulged or split our oval.

Got home and cleaned the gun even though it was just one shot and no signs if any issue in chamber or barrel. Looked the slide and frame over carefully and again, nothing out of norm. This particular 1903 does have a very tight slide to frame fit but nothing excessive; no where near what I've found to be the norm on some Berettas.

Put it all back together and filled the magazine with snap caps and everything cycled normally. I must admit I really have no idea what the problem was and since the gun fired and cycled it was not an issue that would have been a problem if used in a self defense situation but would definitely been embarrassing had I been told to clear my weapon when on the line.

Please, just one more down range sir and it will be clear! Seldom gets a positive response from my experience.

Headspace/check the overall length of the remaining ammo.

7.62x25mm Tok ammo from different countries, for example, has issues in different guns.

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Headspace/check the overall length of the remaining ammo.

7.62x25mm Tok ammo from different countries, for example, has issues in different guns.

AA
Worth checking but it was new factory Geco ammo which is what I normally use in my older 32s. No way to check the round that was involved of course and not sure how even a head space issue would keep the slide locked in a blow back like the 1903.

Plus the 32acp is semi-rimmed while the 7.65x25 Tok is rimless so they head space differently.

nikonNUT

I've developed a flinch so I took the 6.5CM out to play and get a handle on things! Decided to dial in the gas block for the can only to discover it was carbon locked. :( A spritz of Aero Kroil fixed everything and I got her locked down and proceeded to shoot groups. I haven't tweeked the scope for the POI change but I'd say they are all minute of feral pig! I also learned that the 6.5 is hearing safe and suppressed gas guns are SUPER fun to shoot!!!Average group size came out to .788 MOA.
6.5CM hushed.jpg

P.S. Top target was just an aiming point while I adjusted the gas block.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
2FD450CB-66C9-44F0-9B5D-628DDE40F5A3.jpeg
F014E9C3-1324-4B19-BC15-8F1F9353AA87.jpeg

Savage 110 .308. Last time I shot this gun was several years ago and it was sighted in for shooting FTR @ 600yd.s
I was re-zeroing for 100 yd.s. Yes, the target was mounted sideways. Still a little tweaking to do.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
E3721A2A-13AE-4245-8B26-487031180BDF.jpeg
AF4E6741-9F2D-4A31-AD62-E1BEC3013624.jpeg

After our Range Safety Officers pistol match this morning (came in 4th, AKA 3rd loser), I put a few through the Savage .308. Getting there. Slight windage adjustment change between targets. These targets are part of a quarterly RSO match, kinda like a postal match, honor system and submit as many as you like. Winner gets $100 and the money in the pot ($1.00 per target submitted). These were shot with my handloads. I shot a third target using factory Federal Gold Medal Match, same bullet, Sierra 175 gr. SMKs. The feds gave a group twice as big and a POI shift! ***! I'll have to load some more up and shoot a few more targets this week end. The match ends this month, so one last session to submit if I can best what I've already submitted. The bottom group is approx 0.76 CTC, the rifle can certainly shoot 0.5 or better. The cluster in the X ring is approx. 0.48 before the last shot opened it up.

Last edited:
I went to a local range today. I have not been to one in two years! I was in for quite a surprise. First, the range I picked out was quite reasonable. $15 for an hour and you can use your own ammo and targets. I picked up two targets for $1 each. In contrast, in Florida, the range I went to charged $20 and you had to buy your ammo and targets from the range. And the price of ammo was very high.

I went with my G19 and used some Corbon DPX ammo I won in a raffle several years ago. It is really surprising how fast your memory returns. I'm sorry I didn't keep the targets. I went through 45 rounds and the only time I was a little off was when I was shooting from about 50 feet.

Another surprise was the number of young females at the range.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My local range is an outstanding value at $6 ALL DAY! Lots of females/ assorted family members in attendance.

nikonNUT

$15.00/hr? $6.00/day? My range is $3.33... a month! Of course there are very few females around but I know this cute 28y/o that said she likes to shoot. That can’t end well but darned if I won’t enjoy it! 🤣

nikonNUT

Went back out today to plink at 200 yards with some "Employee Only / Not for Resale" Rem 6.5CM Sicrocco II seconds ammo. I still suck but had a OK group...
Ballistic-X-Export-2020-07-26 18_57_47.949801.PNG

I followed that lame performance up with the high point of the week, a Covid test. My boss, the one who nixed my training trip to Texas due to concerns about his health, had a BIG 4th of July get together and viola! His wife got it and he tested positive yesterday. He's been out for 2 weeks but I was volentold to get tested. I think I'm still cross-eyed from the swab. Gonna screw up my shooting even more for a while! :lol:

Top Bottom