What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

I mounted my new to me Leupold 24x on my .22-250 BDL Varmint Special today. I used a small level across the receiver to level the rifle on the bench and a plumb bob at 50 yards to set the vertical crosshair on to level the scope. I mounted a scope level on the scope tube once the scope was mounted and leveled. I took out the bolt and looked through the bore to adjust the crosshairs to the target. It took 4 shots to walk the impact to where I wanted it. My end goal was 1.5" high at 100 yards. This is a 5 shot test group. I declared it ready for groundhog season.

20240313_134501.jpg

1.5 and 4.5 sounds pretty darn good to me?

When you say running without a mag well, do you mean a competition mag well?

What pistol are you running?
Running a 5” 1911 in .45, and without an extended magwell. Which isn’t a problem with a double stack gun as the magazines are tapered at the top. But with a 1911 it turns into trying to fit a box into another box. Mine has had some beveling done but it’s still not as good as having an extended magwell/mainspring housing or weld on magwell.

On the 5x5 drill I was getting draws in the 1.05-1.1 range but reloads were about 1.7-1.9 all done from real life concealment. Not IDPA style.

IMG_7868.jpeg

IMG_7622.jpeg
IMG_7686.jpeg

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Running a 5” 1911 in .45, and without an extended magwell. Which isn’t a problem with a double stack gun as the magazines are tapered at the top. But with a 1911 it turns into trying to fit a box into another box. Mine has had some beveling done but it’s still not as good as having an extended magwell/mainspring housing or weld on magwell.

On the 5x5 drill I was getting draws in the 1.05-1.1 range but reloads were about 1.7-1.9 all done from real life concealment. Not IDPA style.

View attachment 1812074

View attachment 1812075View attachment 1812076

Great looking pistol. A 2 second or just under reload is what I have been shooting for when practicing with my new Shadow Systems.

Shadow Systems has an separate mag well that comes with their upgraded Elite models, but the Foundation Series I have, while I can purchase that same mag well from the company, It already has a pretty decent built in flared mag well into the bottom of the grip/frame which I find user friendly and more capable of concealment.

I get what you’re saying about a box in a box with the 1911. My Springfield has a very slight ‘bevel’ at the bottom of the mag well, but not much.

I haven’t carried it much as of late as it’s a more heavier clothing type of pistol for me and we are in a very early spring this year. Ya know, I thought I read somewhere once that it’s easier and faster to load a single stack compared to a double stack, but to me, my Glocks seem to load smoother and faster than the slim profile of my 1911’s?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Loading a single stack magazine quickly takes a bit more practice and technique to do quickly compared to double stacks and /or competition mag wells, which I detest on a 1911. I only have a slight bevel on my 1911s. I find the trick to smoothly speed load a single stack is to grasp the magazine with having your index finger extended along the front of the magazine so that the finger tip is resting on the nose of the top bullet in the mag. This greatly facilitates finding that small magazine well opening without having to look at the gun to perform a speed reload.
I shoot with a guy who shoots matches every weekend and has the whole competition rig, etc. Of course he's shooting a double stack with a "Super bowl" sized mag well. He always beats me in our informal RSO matches, he's very fast and accurate (usually). But his reload technique sucks! He could be even faster if he'd pay more attention to his reload technique.

Great looking pistol. A 2 second or just under reload is what I have been shooting for when practicing with my new Shadow Systems.

Shadow Systems has an separate mag well that comes with their upgraded Elite models, but the Foundation Series I have, while I can purchase that same mag well from the company, It already has a pretty decent built in flared mag well into the bottom of the grip/frame which I find user friendly and more capable of concealment.

I get what you’re saying about a box in a box with the 1911. My Springfield has a very slight ‘bevel’ at the bottom of the mag well, but not much.

I haven’t carried it much as of late as it’s a more heavier clothing type of pistol for me and we are in a very early spring this year. Ya know, I thought I read somewhere once that it’s easier and faster to load a single stack compared to a double stack, but to me, my Glocks seem to load smoother and faster than the slim profile of my 1911’s?
No a 1911 will always be harder and especially from slide lock as you can’t release the slide with your dominant thumb. At least not with breaking your grip (or being a circus sized giant).

Loading a single stack magazine quickly takes a bit more practice and technique to do quickly compared to double stacks and /or competition mag wells, which I detest on a 1911. I only have a slight bevel on my 1911s. I find the trick to smoothly speed load a single stack is to grasp the magazine with having your index finger extended along the front of the magazine so that the finger tip is resting on the nose of the top bullet in the mag. This greatly facilitates finding that small magazine well opening without having to look at the gun to perform a speed reload.
I shoot with a guy who shoots matches every weekend and has the whole competition rig, etc. Of course he's shooting a double stack with a "Super bowl" sized mag well. He always beats me in our informal RSO matches, he's very fast and accurate (usually). But his reload technique sucks! He could be even faster if he'd pay more attention to his reload technique.
Yeah that’s the technique I use. I should emphasize I don’t think a 1.7-1.8 reload from concealment is all that slow. But when I’m going against guys with double stack guns and mag wells my times sure do suffer.

I take care of the steel at one of my clubs. For years, we have hung the gongs from chain. It lasts a long time, but not forever. The price of chain has doubled. We decided to go with conveyor belt. I hung the targets and shot the rubber today with 12 gauge slugs, buckshot, and .44 magnum. They'll probably get shot at 1k times this weekend. It will be interesting to see how the belt holds up.

20240322_135708.jpg

20240322_132247.jpg

20240322_132227.jpg

Last edited:
I take care of the steel at one of my clubs. For years, we have hung the gongs from chain. It lasts a long time, but not forever. The price of chain has doubled. We decided to go with conveyor belt. I hung the targets and shot the rubber today with 12 gauge slugs, buckshot, and .44 magnum. They'll probably get shot at 1k times this weekend. It will be interesting to see how the belt holds up.

View attachment 1816509
View attachment 1816497
View attachment 1816498
Neat idea! I’d be interested to see pics after they’ve been shot this weekend!

View attachment 1812074

View attachment 1812075View attachment 1812076
Don't flinch, but the Chen magwell is the way to go. Minimal, and I do mean minute, filing to blend the leading edge with my Tisas Carry. The chute itself was a spot-on channel.

View attachment 1816509
View attachment 1816497
View attachment 1816498
Used fire hose works great as a hanger as well

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
That's what they say. I can't ever get any because the local fire chief uses it around his boat dock...lol
Great stuff. Most common lengths are 25' and 50' sections and a 2½" or 1½" diameter. In either case you get four layers when you cut it up, heavy canvass then bonded heavy rubber x2 and the second heavy canvass.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Our RSO match yesterday was a revolver match shooting both paper and steel. I shot my 6 in. S&W 686. I was a little off my game and ran middle of the pack score-wise. We had one stage that was a pure speed shoot. A single IPSC style target with all but the center A-zone blacked out at about 7 yds. Draw and fire as fast as you can, only A-zone hits counted. I cleared leather and got all six A-zone hits in 4.15 seconds, but the stage winner smoked it in just under 3 seconds.

Today, I did a trigger spring swap and adjustment on a CZ 457 in .17 HMR. The factory trigger was 2 lbs 14 oz. I set it at 12 oz with no creep or post travel. The CZ 457 trigger has 3 set screws. They adjust trigger weight, pre and post travel. It's an improvement over the 452/453/455 triggers.

Before:
20240328_120229.jpg

After:
20240328_131544.jpg

You can see the adjustment screws. Two in the front of the housing and one under the trigger:
20240328_130954.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Took a couple of classics to the range; hadn't shot the magnum in years.

Love my Colts, but K-frame sweetness was my first love:

fghhhhh.jpg

Switched from S&W Magna stocks to these Uncle Mike's (I think), better speedloader clearance. And they feel great.

The High Standard Derringer goes BOOM every time; in fact it's like a magic trick: Nothing in my hand ... nothing in my hand ... and PRESTO! 3' fireball at my fingertips. Can't hit diddly with it, but sure is fun. :letterk1: Once you get past the 36-pound trigger pull ...

fdgfdg.jpg

Probably don't need to adjust the sights ...

fdhhhh.jpg

Get out there and make some brass, yo.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
^ Pachmayer grips (Sp?)
🤔 No; I had a pair of those from the 1980s, with the brass-color logo inlay. Time made them a bit harder, and these were in the K-frame grips Ziploc as well, so. Gripper and slightly smaller. Coulda swore they said Uncle Mike's on the inside. It was a fun shoot. Ladies Day, but it was quiet.

AA

Top Bottom