What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

I generally don't think a scope is at home on a lever gun, but a rainy day lead me to a little playing around. I had a cheap 16x scope laying on the bench and found some rings. I put the scope on a 50+ year old Marlin 39a and went to the range. I have owned the gun a few years and have never bothered to clean the bore, so I am sure it's far from benchrest clean. Anyway, I zeroed it with some cheap ammo and then put a target up at 50 yards. My first 5 shot group is below. I shot it with Eley Team. I was quite surprised. I never repeated it, though. Every group after that was about twice that size.

20230129_160516.jpg

20230129_160800.jpg

This was the typical group from less expensive ammo.

20230129_162826.jpg

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I generally don't think a scope is at home on a lever gun, but a rainy day lead me to a little playing around. I had a cheap 16x scope laying on the bench and found some rings. I put the scope on a 50+ year old Marlin 39a and went to the range. I have owned the gun a few years and have never bothered to clean the bore, so I am sure it's far from benchrest clean. Anyway, I zeroed it with some cheap ammo and then put a target up at 50 yards. My first 5 shot group is below. I shot it with Eley Team. I was quite surprised. I never repeated it, though. Every group after that was about twice that size.

View attachment 1596782

View attachment 1596783

This was the typical group from less expensive ammo.

View attachment 1596787
Man, I GOTTA get a lever action!

"I shoulda been a Cowboy, just like Gene and Roy!"

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Hoo boy! Season opener was brutal! Rain and mud galore, lots of trash talking, and a super challenging course of fire! Last stage was 2 shots at 253 yards, 232 yards, and 228 yards from a "boat" (The boat is a 4'x8' sheet hung from a trolley by chains at the 4 corners so super wobbly!) followed by 3 shots at a spinner at 116 yards off a tank trap ON the boat! I shot horribly... No excuses but I "think" I jacked up my windage while I was zeroing my rifle. I was shooting about .2Mils left and I am pretty slipped the turret more than I should have as in .7Mils so my wind calls were trash! Next time no loosening anything! Just pop the locking turrent, adjust, and use wind holds. I never dial for wind anyways. Stupid on my part! Elevation is a different story but also easier to not screw up! :lol: Next match will be better and I have about 16 to go.

Tonight was rimfire sporter benchrest. It was 48F outside. We had 15 shooters. Rifles were a Anschutz 64, a Thompson Center, a 10/22, two Remington 541's, a Steyr, four Savages, and 5 CZ's. We only got in 4 matches. I had a good night. I got a first, a second, and 2 third places, plus split a side money pot. I didn't count my cash again, but came home with more than I started with.

Final setup with the Ruger American Ranch rifle in 5.56. The compact stock and Limbsaver recoil pad are both installed. Time for a 50 yard zero session with the Trijicon RMR Dual illumination sight.

Conditions at 8 this morning, light misting rain mixed with snow. Breeze of 3 - 5 mph. Dark overcast skies. 36 degrees. Great conditions for the RMR sight.

Winchester 55 Gr at 100 yards after the 50 yard zero. Group measures 2 inches. Note this is wider than the 1 3/4 inch group with Winchester greentip.
86B980DB-38A5-4882-BFDA-DBADE5C20DA9.jpeg

Mixed 55 and greentip at 25 yards.
4DF75043-49F8-419B-9199-8113D0A4BCD6.jpeg

Shoots 1 inch low at 25 yards, on at 50, and on/slightly high at 100 yards. Next range session will be at 200 yards.

What a difference in felt recoil the Limbsaver pad makes. Notable improvement.

Everyone said use 55 grain it is more accurate than greentip. Well everyone is wrong with respect to this rifle. Plan to use greentip in the future.

The rifle is likely capable of sub MOA at 100 yards just not without magnification for my eyes. The Ruger American definitely shoots above its class.

The rifle is pretty much setup now. Should be good for another 4 - 5 years of shooting without any magnification. That is the goal anyway.

Tonight was unlimited rimfire benchrest. The temp was 29F. We had ten shooters. The rifles were 2 Lonestars, a Turbo, a custom 40x, 2 Anschutz, and 4 stock 40x. We only got in 4 matches. I got two first place spots, a second, and a fifth. After my fees were paid, I cleared $15.00.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Took the S&W Shield .380 EZ to the range this morning for the first time in ages and man that is one fun gun to shoot. Almost no recoil, super accurate and it really is easy to rack. I don't know why it hasn't gotten to go WalkAbout more often.

Reactions: ctr

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Took the S&W Shield .380 EZ to the range this morning for the first time in ages and man that is one fun gun to shoot. Almost no recoil, super accurate and it really is easy to rack. I don't know why it hasn't gotten to go WalkAbout more often.

When I visit Cabela’s and browse around where they keep consignment and used gun sales, I noticed an unusual amount of the S&W .380EZ models that are being re-sold as used. Like an un-ordinary amount? It kinda makes me wonder, what’s the deal with them where so many people are re-selling them?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
When I visit Cabela’s and browse around where they keep consignment and used gun sales, I noticed an unusual amount of the S&W .380EZ models that are being re-sold as used. Like an un-ordinary amount? It kinda makes me wonder, what’s the deal with them where so many people are re-selling them?
No idea. Mine is so soft shooting compared to my many other .380s that it really shocks me. It's so easy to control that it always surprises me. It's so easy to rack, field strip, load magazines that I am quite certain I'll lose it too.

But this time to my sister.

Top Bottom