What's new

A Couple o' Shavemacs (my first)

I traded away my Duke. The bristles are not as floppy as Vulfix, but I would hardly call them stiff. As for "finest", there are some words here.

rtaylor61 said:
Scotto,

Any floppy or moppy tendencies?

Randy

Randy:

There has been some discussion as to differences between the same brushes in the Simpson's line. It's almost like Scotto and I had two different brushes. My Duke 2 is easily the most dense, stiff brush I own, much more so than my Shavemac or SR silvertip. Even with the firmness, it is still soft on the skin. Moppy and floppy are on opposite ends of the spectrum from this brush. I even mentioned once it almost feels like a pad instead of a brush, it's so dense. I really have to push hard to get it to splay at all. My only complaint is that I wish the handle was just a little longer.

Jerry and Scotto,

Thanks for the replys. Based on what the two of you have said, I'll stick with consistent...Shavemac!

Randy

I've been using a Vulfix 2235 Super Badger since I started DE last year, but it seems to have a lot of "flop" to it. I'd like to move up to one of the ShaveMacs...possibly the 22579 (23 mm knot) or something similar. The Vulfix is a 24 mm knot and it seems to big sometimes but I think that is due to the fact it is so "floppy" on the face.

From what I have read I like the description of stiff shafts and soft tips of the ShaveMac. I don't really think I need a larger brush than the 23 mm, but I could be wrong. Hope to get some feedback from the brush gurus on this issue.

Also, the handle is longer on the XL than on the L. I would like the longer handle I think. I don't have money to throw away but I want to get a brush I will be happy with since they last so long and I'll be stuck with it. It's not like I can just buy another brush or two if I don't really like the one I pick.

End of rambling!:biggrin:

Ron:

Check out the Savile Row Silvertips. They are SO similar to Shavemacs, that they MAY even be made by Shavemac....maybe not but they're wonderful! They're available in the US from QED. I've never heard a negative comment about them....ask Scotto how he likes his. or Quenron, or.......!

I have the Vulfix 2235 and it's not even in the same league as the SR or Shavemac in my opinion!

PottyDoctor said:
I've been using a Vulfix 2235 Super Badger since I started DE last year, but it seems to have a lot of "flop" to it. I'd like to move up to one of the ShaveMacs...possibly the 22579 (23 mm knot) or something similar. The Vulfix is a 24 mm knot and it seems to big sometimes but I think that is due to the fact it is so "floppy" on the face.

From what I have read I like the description of stiff shafts and soft tips of the ShaveMac. I don't really think I need a larger brush than the 23 mm, but I could be wrong. Hope to get some feedback from the brush gurus on this issue.

Also, the handle is longer on the XL than on the L. I would like the longer handle I think. I don't have money to throw away but I want to get a brush I will be happy with since they last so long and I'll be stuck with it. It's not like I can just buy another brush or two if I don't really like the one I pick.

End of rambling!:biggrin:

Here's what I ended up ordering Saturday afternoon:

View attachment 540

A ShaveMac #22579, 23mm knot, 4.1" high, horn imitation.

A man always needs one more brush:thumbup1:

And remember... "Friends don't let friends buy NO ugly brush!"

Joseph,

I know lots of folks advised to take a look at the Savile Rows, as they are quite possibly made by ShaveMac and were supposedly less expensive. However, I did not see a huge price difference, at least in the smaller knot size [23mm] I wanted. And ordering from the ShaveMac site is much easier than trying to order from the QED site, at least for me. :confused:

I really liked the "dome" shape of the ShaveMac brushes as well as the description of "stiffer shafts, softer tips" by many experienced wet shavers. I think that is what I'm looking for, but I'll let you know once it arrives here, hopfully later this week.

I know Bernd has raised prices but he is still nowhere near "irrational exuberance" as some seem to be. I have heard nothing but good comments about ShaveMac brushes and combined with his current pricing his product is still a good value in my book. :thumbup1:

i'm just mad i sent him an email about a special order and instead of answering it he raised the prices. i turned down a more expensive brush that was offered and told him i was going to take the cheaper one.....so he raised the price of it. now i guess the more expensive one is a more attractive deal since that one was a great deal before the hike, now it is just average.

i'm sure your brush will be great, let us know how it works for you!

Sorry I haven't given an update sooner but work has kept me too busy to B&B lately!

I ordered my ShaveMac 22579 via internet on Saturday evening. Got an email on Monday morning that it had shipped. FedEX brought it to my door Wednesday morning about 10AM. Now that's service with a smile!

I'll be taking some pics in the next couple weeks hopefully [after vacation] and I'll let everyone know how the brush performs. I love the horn imitation handle and the first few times I've used it I really like the soft tips of the Silvertip Badger.

Later...gotta' go make some Lather!!!:cool:

Top Bottom