What's new

A beginners reflections on Cirmes Tonsorial Scents

Hello All,

I read a few posts that mentioned Cirmes tonsorial (http://www.etsy.com/shop/9cirmes) so I decided to contact Andrew to see if he offered samples. They weren't listed on the site at the time, but they are there now. His customer service was great, he responded to my emails very quickly and shipped the sampler pack quickly. I've worn each of them twice so I can get a good idea of the smell. Here are my feeble attempts at describing the scents.

Sapera - This the scent that I was anticipating the most - the site's description was tantalizing to me! The first impression is - powdery and spicy. It really reminds me of the "Nag Champa" incense, I pick up sandalwood too - really, it's smoky, and spicy. It's a pretty complex smell.

Absinthe - This is my favorite so far. It's bright and fresh. The more pronounced note is anise - the first thing to pop into my head was "black jelly bean" - and I do NOT like black jelly beans. It's quite a complex mix..I'm smelling it now and I pick up anise, and citrus (lemon or lime, I can't decide).

Fougere - Fresh cut grass. This scent is super fresh and super green - it's my wife's favorite. I can't pick the notes apart, there are many. This one lasts a good while for me.

Mouchoir - This is the only one that I'd classify as a truly feminine scent. It's bright and has a barely perceptible powdery feel to it. I pick up some lily of the valley, some citrus, and something that reminds me of a cake baking in the oven. My wife said there's a hint of fruity pebbles in there somewhere.

Monsieur Jameson - This is a manly scent for sure, and it's the longest lasting of the bunch. Pipe tobacco is the primary scent in this one...there are others in the background but they aren't distinctive enough for me to pick 'em out.

Longevity on some is tremendous. You have a few en route. Only thing I'd say, Randy, is some have a thicker oil-like consistency that you'll probably not be fond of. Not something you'll want to put on your clothes, I'm afraid.

I agree, Andrew's replies and interaction are top notch, as well as rather enjoyable.

I like Fougere, Sapera and Abinsthe the best.

Longevity on some is tremendous. You have a few en route. Only thing I'd say, Randy, is some have a thicker oil-like consistency that you'll probably not be fond of. Not something you'll want to put on your clothes, I'm afraid.

I agree, Andrew's replies and interaction are top notch, as well as rather enjoyable.

I like Fougere, Sapera and Abinsthe the best.

Thanks Rick, and yes, as you know I don't generally care for fragrance oils of any kind. I wasn't sure from a quick look at the website but it did say something about oils.

Thanks Rick, and yes, as you know I don't generally care for fragrance oils of any kind. I wasn't sure from a quick look at the website but it did say something about oils.

Yes, they have a thicker consistency. Not an oil, per se; but close enough. They could probably be added to some perfumer's alcohol and made into a nice spray, but then...dilution would occur.

Thanks for the post (review). Never saw nor tried these (still pretty new at this).
Some sound interesting. Prices are reasonable compared to many on the market.

I have both the Sapera and Mouchoir - both are very nice and last the whole day because they are Eau de Cologne strength . I ended up putting them into an atomizer bottle just to ease application and keep it from my fingers as they are packed with essential oils. A thin mist right on the skin is plenty.

As far as projection; they wont smell you coming, but you will get a wiff of the scent every now and again throughout the day.

I tried the Fougere the other day (thanks, Rick!), and "fresh cut grass" is a pretty good description. I was surprised, because I had forgotten that description in this thread, and expected it to smell more like a typical fougere scent. It was very long lasting, and almost wouldn't come off with soap and water in the shower. I'm looking forward to trying the others.

Top Bottom