What's new

Eton College has changed!

lasta

Blade Biter
Sad news everyone, TOBS Eton College is but a shadow of its former self!

This was my favourite lather scent wise, been using it since the mid 2000s.

I bought the matching EDT about 2 years ago and didn't like it. The bright, succulent and very refreshing orange top notes were toned down by excess synthetic musk and more dewy floral nuances.

I thought it was just the EDT (perfumers trying to make a citrus scent that lasts longer).

But opening a new tub today, the new cream smells exactly like the EDT!

Even compared to my near 15 year old nearly empty tub, scent strength is weaker and much less bright/sweet.

Another favourite chopped at the knee!

20231117_171528.jpg
20231117_171636.jpg

At some point TOBs revamped their entire line because the whole "paraben free" stuff was taking over and there were also new labeling requirements (from the EU, IIRC). I had several jars of the "old" and "new" cream and although there seemed to be minor differences in scent and texture performance was largely the same. My favorite was avocado which is now discontinued.

I never liked the "cologne" scents from TOBs and Eton College was never a favorite of mine. Recently I was at a shop where I got to sniff the EC cream and it smelled like a more soapy version of DRH Arlington to me and not nearly as pleasant. I couldn't tell you how it was "supposed" to smell. Many years ago I had sample vials of EC and St. James and did not care for either. SJ actually game me a nasty headache, though many aquatic laced scents will do that to me.

You know, it may have been that they switched fragrance manufacturers and the new one could not duplicate the frag, or certain ingredients were a no go under new requirements, or would be cost prohibitive with their pricing structure. I'm curious what they would say if you asked them how the scents evolved over time.

Note also: any cream that is 15 years old probably had some scent fade/change over the years.

lasta

Blade Biter
At some point TOBs revamped their entire line because the whole "paraben free" stuff was taking over and there were also new labeling requirements (from the EU, IIRC). I had several jars of the "old" and "new" cream and although there seemed to be minor differences in scent and texture performance was largely the same. My favorite was avocado which is now discontinued.

I never liked the "cologne" scents from TOBs and Eton College was never a favorite of mine. Recently I was at a shop where I got to sniff the EC cream and it smelled like a more soapy version of DRH Arlington to me and not nearly as pleasant. I couldn't tell you how it was "supposed" to smell. Many years ago I had sample vials of EC and St. James and did not care for either. SJ actually game me a nasty headache, though many aquatic laced scents will do that to me.

You know, it may have been that they switched fragrance manufacturers and the new one could not duplicate the frag, or certain ingredients were a no go under new requirements, or would be cost prohibitive with their pricing structure. I'm curious what they would say if you asked them how the scents evolved over time.

Note also: any cream that is 15 years old probably had some scent fade/change over the years.

Scent is personal I suppose, I really liked the old one!

As for compliance, I think it had more to do with oakmoss and certain animal excretions than essence of orange!

Scent fade is to be expected, but what I meant was the 15 yo smelt stronger!

Scent is personal I suppose, I really liked the old one!

As for compliance, I think it had more to do with oakmoss and certain animal excretions than essence of orange!

Scent fade is to be expected, but what I meant was the 15 yo smelt stronger!

If you do manage to contact them, I would be curious about what they say.

Here are the fragrance notes from their website:

• TOP: Citrus, Lemon, Orange, Mandarin
• HEART: Floral
• BASE: Patchouli

Musk isn't listed but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't there. FWIW sometimes I have trouble smelling synthetic musk in frags.

Limonene is one ingredient in the cream which is also a known irritant. Perhaps they reduced the strength of that or the fragrance overall to reduce complaints of allergic reactions.

And yeah EU regs had a lot to do with oakmoss but IIRC there were also labeling changes. Before manufacturers would just list "parfum" or "fragrance", now at the end of the ingredients list they have to list potential allergen compounds IIRC.

lasta

Blade Biter
If you do manage to contact them, I would be curious about what they say.

Here are the fragrance notes from their website:

• TOP: Citrus, Lemon, Orange, Mandarin
• HEART: Floral
• BASE: Patchouli

Musk isn't listed but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't there. FWIW sometimes I have trouble smelling synthetic musk in frags.

Limonene is one ingredient in the cream which is also a known irritant. Perhaps they reduced the strength of that or the fragrance overall to reduce complaints of allergic reactions.

And yeah EU regs had a lot to do with oakmoss but IIRC there were also labeling changes. Before manufacturers would just list "parfum" or "fragrance", now at the end of the ingredients list they have to list potential allergen compounds IIRC.
I suppose I might have mistaken the patchouli for synthetic musk...

In any case, Eton is not as fresh anymore!

What's the deal with oakmoss? I saw something about it a while ago, but it didn't affect me and I didn't look into it.

What's the deal with oakmoss? I saw something about it a while ago, but it didn't affect me and I didn't look into it.

It can cause nasty reactions on skin for some folks. It is also used in many classic categories of fragrances and there is not a simple substitute for it. After reading some more recent articles on it, my understanding is that it can only be used in tiny concentrations in the EU (0.1% or less) and the type available now is highly refined. Some frags had to be reformulated, others discontinued.

FWIW many ingredients in perfumery can cause problems for people. Bergamot oil, for example, is known to cause photo-toxic reactions on skin.

I'm a fan of TOBS and have three on the go and another three waiting in the cupboard, though I've not tried this flavour.

I'm wondering if this one's a marketing own goal in terms of UK sales. It should be. My local-state-grammar-school-kid-lower-middle-class shoulder-chip tells me the posh kids who went to places like Eton are suitable primarily for ridicule ("The cream of the land : rich and thick"). I'm sure I'm stereotyping the privately educated and that this is a great shaving cream, but I'd be continually expecting it to tell me that its dad's Jag was better than my dad's Cortina (of course it was second-hand, but it was the two litre Ghia, dammit).

So I'm no help to you here. Apologies, but thanks for the opportunity for some nostalgic Seventies schoolboy politics...

Top Bottom