What's new

A bad shave

Do you ever have one of those days where you have a bad shave?

I have these sometimes, the thing is that I don't know what I do wrong, the razor usually is really pulling/tugging at my face.

I am out of ideas, did you ever figure out what you did wrong? Do you have any ideas what I may doing wrong?

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Maybe you should try another blade. Try a Personna blade. That’s my favorite one.

This hour to get answers to your questions is not good.

Pulling/tugging sounds like a blade issue. For me, that happens on the second day with a cartridge razor and a third day with my favorite DE blades. My adjustable Mergress XL will extend my blades another three days. Favorite SE blades get six days..

I'll second Billski on Personna Blue DE blades. Their Med Prep blades even have a slight edge, but costs thrice the price.

Maybe you got a bad blade or your razor angle was off...often times if I feel like I’m not having the best shave within the first pass, I change blades, redo the lather and start over fresh

I have nailed down my goto blade, the GSB, and it works well in my few razors. The wildcard for me is that I own close to 20 soaps now which I rotate. When I do have a bad shave, it can usually be attributed to my lather being subpar.

I have nailed down my goto blade, the GSB, and it works well in my few razors. The wildcard for me is that I own close to 20 soaps now which I rotate. When I do have a bad shave, it can usually be attributed to my lather being subpar.
That's what I am starting to think, I'm wondering if my lather was not thick enough, proraso can be quite tricky in regards to finding the right water/cream balance in my experience, I'll try shaking more water out of the brush next time.

When I have bad shaves, it's usually because my blade is ending its life. I usually get 3-4 shaves per blade (I like GSB, Nacet, and Permasharp), and get rougher shaves after that with irritation being more of a potential.

Do you face lather or bowl lather? If you're wondering about your lather, try adding more soap/cream then adding more water to make a good slick lather. Don't hesitate to try some different things!

I would also add, bloom your soap for a few minutes with some hot water before you kick up a lather
I should clarify that I used the Proraso tube cream lol, I use a mug to lather it up.

However I could try using one of my kitchen bowls, I have done that before and had surprisingly good results!

I should clarify that I used the Proraso tube cream lol, I use a mug to lather it up.

However I could try using one of my kitchen bowls, I have done that before and had surprisingly good results!
Yes, try using a bowl. It’s easier to whip up a good creamy lather, since you have more room to work

Give it a try. One thing is don't be afraid to try things, like using more product and water. Also, the shave soaps/creams last longer than cans of foam/gel, so they last a long time and no need to be afraid using it!

This is great advice. When I first started, I tried to minimize soap usage to make it last longer. A little bit down the road and I have enough soap for 5+ years. I quit worrying about soap usage and started adhering to the phrase “load it like you hate it” on everything I have and my shaves improved exponentially. This happened with both my regular DE and my 37c slant.

Definitely don’t be afraid to change things or try different things. Soap is relatively cheap. Use the hell out of it.

Happy shaves.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Great suggestions above!

First, Lucky Tiger to sooth your face.

Then, analyze what went wrong and what you can do differently. To me this looks like the most likely culprits are a dull blade and/or your lather. So new blade, more product and more water!

Tomorrow is another day!!

Sometimes I have a bad shave when I try to force something to happen. For example sometimes I try too hard for BBS on the neck area and I end up with a lot of razor burn.

Other times it is going too long with a blade. Sometimes I am trying a new soap. Sometimes I am just not in the zone.

Usually I can identify what went wrong.

Prep may not be long enough. Beard hair should be fully absorbed of water. A shower can do this.

But it is probably your blade choice. Like for me, a Voskhod is a very tuggy blade. It didn't used to be, but it is now because I have the tough, wirey, slightly grey stubble of a guy who accompanied Admiral Byrd to the north pole. And killed a polar bear with a bowie knife.

Sharper blades, like the Astra, or Personna blues or the Feather should not produce this sensation.

Now, don't go and buy 100 of some kind of blade. Try them by the pack, or tuck, then buy in bulk.

Top Bottom