What's new

A 3 piece that shaves as nice as my Aristocrat?

I'm narrowing down to what I wish to have in my den. My favorite razor is my 48-50 post war Aristocrat. Quality of shave and feel to me is exactly what I want in a razor. I do love my 3 piece razors and want one that has around the same feel in comfort & aggressiveness..

Does anyone have any recommendations on a nice 3 piece that matches the shave quality of my Aristocrat? I do plan to make the purchase my last in DE's so want to make sure it's the right one!.

Thanks in advance for any help given!

I would have to say you should try any of the New Improved, especially the New Improved Big Fellow. I think it gives a better
shave than any in my collection.

Bob
Dragonmaster

I suggest looking at the blade gap chart for a comparison point of razor aggressiveness. The late 40s aristocrat was in the .64 gap range.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Blade_Gap

The Gillette new at .58 might be a good candidate.

This ^

I was writing up something similar.

Similar blade gaps in 3-piece are:

Stainless - ATT R1, Wolfman WR1-SB
Vintage - Gilllette NEW; these are all open comb.

I have almost all versions of the NEW (long and short comb, British raised flat bottom, and DeLuxe) and they are fatastic. I also have a ATT S2 open comb. Never used a true US Aristocrat but have used just about every other TTO including the 34' Aristo. My favorite though is the British Aristocrat #16.

The Gillette NEW LC

The Gillette NEW SC

The Gillette New Improved

BTW I find the Gillette New Improved gives the best shaves when the handle is lowered a little more than is normal.

I suggest looking at the blade gap chart for a comparison point of razor aggressiveness. The late 40s aristocrat was in the .64 gap range.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Blade_Gap

The Gillette new at .58 might be a good candidate.

When it comes to aggressiveness, the blade gap chart is a very poor reference. One of the best examples is the Feather AS D2 and the ATT R1, see where they rank in that chart and you'll understand what I'm saying. Blade gap has little to do with aggressiveness/efficiency.

But, I'd also recommend a NEW, they're all great as Brent said.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have actually owned several NEW's, LC & SC, and though they are a great shaver, they never quite gave me the shave I get with my Aristocrat and I don't want to have to shim my razor. I guess I should have also mentioned I prefer closed combs. The 3 pieces I have had so far are old and new type NEW's, Maggards MR5, Muhle & EJ R89's, IKon 102 & DLC slants, Merkur slant.

I have to agree with Edgar on the aggressiveness chart. I find its not always the best tale of a razors performance.

Top Bottom