What's new

94 shaves wth a GD

Hello guys, I just finished a test I was doing on a GD 66(the cheap one LOL) and ended up with 94 shaves. NO PASTE, vintage linen and leather ONLY. I did 60 on vintage linen and 60 to 80 on leather every shave lately but for more than half the shaves it was only linen every 2 or 3 shaves.. The edge is starting to tug so therefore I will rehone it. So a $5 razor honed held up this long without any abrasive paste. The vintage linen had alot to do with it IMO. It was honed on a chosera 1k, tsushima black toishi and finished on a nakayama maruichi. I know Doc got 135 or so on a TI. So maybe that c135 is all that after all. I would post pics but you guys know what one looks like already.

I don`t think that this is special! Gold Dollars are a horror to hone, but once done they can compare to nearly every razor out there. Steel is good, so why not.

My best runner is a ERN Crown and sword with coti finish, did 256 shaves so far. Linen every week. And proper stropping, of course without pastes.

Greets Sebastian.

We should classify that "horror to hone" remark I think. They are a horror to hone the first time, but after that they're a breeze once the geometry is corrected.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Cool. The vintage linen is good stuff for sure. I've been using some that has the waxy/chalky stuff in it. Not sure what that substance is but it's good stuff.

We should classify that "horror to hone" remark I think. They are a horror to hone the first time, but after that they're a breeze once the geometry is corrected.

Right!, the first sharpening is awfull, after this it is just like the most other razors.

Greets Sebastian.

All 3 of my GD's (2 208's and 1 66) were trainwrecks from the factory. Even today, 2 of them have asymmetrical , non parallel, grinds that no amount of honing is going to fix (short of making a 6/8 into a 5/8's), but I can still get serviceable edges.

Ok ok, it was brooksie who told me about the linen! Glad he did! Not to get off topic but softer steel could probably get more out of a typical stropping than harder ones. I may be wrong about that though. In other words almost everything has some abrasion so a softer steel MAY get more out of a typical strop session than a harder one. I could be wrong though.

I think the steel is not soft nor hard. Ive honed much harder for sure though. Scratch tests bring it above Sheffield in hardness and it doesn't scratch and isnt scratched by vintage solingen steel. So my guess would be about what that is. Im not a fan of really hard steels. I dont find it necessary but thats everyones choice. Titan razors with the vg10 steel is a quality metal imo. Now large bevels and the typical spine wear leads to a lot of swarf, which may be why they appear soft. A scientific measure would be more accurate though.

A member measured the GD as a Rockwell 60 I believe.

So the myths of the GDs bring somehow "soft" is simple propaganda put forth from the SRP minions of misinformation.

Dont believe the hype

Craig, I just went by how fast it honed up. I admitted they shaved well and I've had 3 different varieties that have all shaved well so far. They just seemed to progress from 1k up faster.

Chosera 1k, tbn toishi with tbn as tomo and using the broken slurry on a nakayama maruichi. (Not brooksies lol) 7 minutes boom. Lol

Top Bottom