What's new

7/8 Wade & Butcher For Barber's Use in Leopardwood

The is one of two W&B's from Brian that are coming off the bench...

This is a heavy near full wedge that was pretty beat up when it got here...

View attachment 63998

This one required a near full regrind to get rid of the bad wear and the pitting after that I went from 80 grit Greaseless compound to 600 grit on the low speed buffer This was followed by Emory up through Chrome compounds on the high speed buffer... The results came out to a near perfect mirror finish...

The scales were Brian's choice of Leopardwood I decided on an Ebony & Brass lined wedge to keep the heavy blade balanced with the lighter Leopardwood...(yes it does balance to the tang but I figure eveyone is getting tired of those pics)
I managed to keep a very unique knot on the front side scale, I wish I could have found a matching one for the backside but I wasn't that lucky...The scales were sealed with Dem-Bart and final finished with Premalyn....
The hardware is all brass using stacked washers, and the oversized pivot hole was sleeved....

View attachment 63999

View attachment 64002

View attachment 64003

View attachment 64004

In a restoration like that, how much metal do you remove?

Look at how muted the shoulder is now. Beautiful work!

That one is pretty extreme, and Leche is exactly right, you have to look at the edges of the metal on the old pic and compare to the new ones....Another clue is always the tang stamp, see how this one is still sharp and deep, indicates that not much metal was removed....

Honestly though if you were to measure, it is way less than you think, if I were to put it real world terms think less than 1mm overall on the blade....

Last edited:
Top Bottom