What's new

58 Gillette TV Super Speed

Are these razors rare, or are they fairly abundant? Are cases for them easy to come by? I can't seem to find much information on this particular razor here on the forum.

Thanks,

Phil

They're fairly abundant as I usually see several on auction at the bay, and can usually be had for less than $20 case and all. Now, the 1954 TV is a different story altogether...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Not extremely rare, but not as abundant as other Superspeeds. They made a bunch of 'em.

I have never seen a case alone without the razor, though I have seen a lot of the razors without the cases.
I have seen one case for sale on the bay with a different razor in it.

Not extremely rare, but not as abundant as other Superspeeds. They made a bunch of 'em.

I have never seen a case alone without the razor, though I have seen a lot of the razors without the cases.
I have seen one case for sale on the bay with a different razor in it.

Looks like it!:biggrin:

Check your pm.

BTW, there was a TV Special ('58) case only sold a week or so ago (I think, if memory serves). It went higher than I'd expect.

Also, have I seen a British razor using these cases? I think so.

The British razor you saw was probably a similar case, but different. The Parat is in a similar red case, but where the US TV has the TV on the case, the Parat has a G.
proxy.php
[/IMG]

There is also one like it but white that had a Regular Rocket.
proxy.php

They're fairly abundant as I usually see several on auction at the bay, and can usually be had for less than $20 case and all. Now, the 1954 TV is a different story altogether...

I haven't seen many '58 TV's that have gone for less than $20 with the case. There are two out there now with cases. One is at $29.50 including shipping with 8 days to go. The other is at ~$25 with no bids yet. I usually see $35+ range on eBay for them with the case as the final price.

It should be fairly easy to find. Take a close look at AsylumGuido's SS page and you'll see the handle pattern is different from other SS's. Just about every SS I see with a D date code has been the TV Special.

Len

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
That is correct, I saw the mismatched set above. Thanks!

Phil, looks like you got a good one. :thumbup1:

Yep!
This razor is one of the choices in the Czar's Halloween PIF.
Anyone who hasn't signed up for it yet, get over there.
Open to any and all B&B Members anywhere in the world.

Note that I didn't say you could never get one for $20. But that is an outlier. Too often people value a razor, and or set, at the lowest price the razor had sold for. That is just as inaccurate as valuing the same at the highest price (which in the case of the '58 TV I have seen for $100 plus) for which one was sold. The true market value is based upon the most common price range, which for a cased '58 TV runs in the $35-$45 range shipped.

You had mentioned that they could "usually" be had for under $20 with the case. I was simply pointing out that the "usual" price is much higher. But, I agree to a point, they can "rarely" be had at $20 if mislabeled or at an artificially low Buy It Now. But, the buyer needs to be extremely patient because they may be months between these type of deals. :cool:

Top Bottom