What's new

$50-60USD To Spend - Need Brown Liquor

I just polished off a gifted Woodford Reserve Masters Collection (Aged Oak Finish). So, I'm needing something to fill that spot in the cabinet. When I buy it, I can't keep Makers in the house, and Johnny Walker goes nearly as quickly. For single malts, I've had my share of MaCallan, Highland Park (12), Glenlivet, and others. I've sampled some higher end stuff thanks to my Brother in Law, such as Highland Park (18), Talisker, Ardbeg, Laphroaig, and Bunnahabhain.

I'm open to all suggestions. Go.

I believe I picked up a bottle of Balvenie 14 Year Caribbean Cask for about $55. Very good stuff for the price IMO.

I highly recommend Balvenie Doublewood, it's a fine 12 yr. Also check out the very underrated Bulleit Bourbon (no that is not a typo :)) Bulleit does a Rye and I'm sure it's just as good but I haven't tried it yet.

I highly recommend Balvenie Doublewood, it's a fine 12 yr. Also check out the very underrated Bulleit Bourbon (no that is not a typo :)) Bulleit does a Rye and I'm sure it's just as good but I haven't tried it yet.

You, sir, have excellent taste. Balvenie Doublewood is my father-in-law's go-to scotch and one of my favorites. In addition, I just finished a bottle of Bulleit Bourbon 2 weeks ago and have to agree its a fantastic bourbon at a fantastic price.

You say you like Makers and JW so it looks to me like "smooth" is your thing.
Redbreast 12
Dalwhinnie 15

Let's replace Bourbon with Bourbon. I suggest the 18yo Elijah Craig. Should hit your price point perfectly.

Looks like I will have to pick up some Redbreast as well, you guys talk so highly of it, as does Wikipedia.

Bulleit does a Rye and I'm sure it's just as good but I haven't tried it yet.
It is. I've been using it to mix manhattans as of late. It's a fairly pricey rye, but not an expensive whiskey.

May I suggest a cognac? Snag a Hennessy or Remy Martin VSOP and enjoy neat. It'll be more delicate than bourbon or scotch, but every bit as complex and rewarding. Armanac (spelling error, I'm sure) is also a great option and sometimes a little cheaper than cognac. It's pretty much the same, but a little different. ...think scotch vs irish

A very underrated scotch is Old Pulteney if you can find it. Great stuff and and 12 year is around $35.

Old Pult is definitely distinctive on this thread. It's the scotch with the bubble gum essence! I also think a Bourbon would go well here, too. I like Bulleit and I like Elijah but Elijah (12 or 18) > Bulleit >>>> Makers.

So, I backed down my budget in order to put some more cash towards other purchases (new razor, specifically). I ended up weighing a Glenlivet 12 vs. the Bulleit and went with the Bulleit. I just finished a glass with 2 ice cubes and enough bourbon to cover them. It is quite tasty for under $30. It came well recommended by you all, and it definitely fits the bill. Thanks B&B for a winner!

You, sir, have excellent taste. Balvenie Doublewood is my father-in-law's go-to scotch and one of my favorites. In addition, I just finished a bottle of Bulleit Bourbon 2 weeks ago and have to agree its a fantastic bourbon at a fantastic price.

+2 on Bulleit, great stuff!

Top Bottom