What's new

5 Over-Rated Wet Shaving Products – With Better Alternatives

The ymmv applies for pretty much everything from technique to products in wet shaving. I've been in both sides of the spectrum and i've seen people liking or hating things that I love (like Arko for instance) and I also dislike things that some people like and that doesn't bother me at all.

I've notice that when new products are introduced (especially if they are high end) most people forget about the old ones like they never existed. It feels like when in a video game a new more powerful items are introduced into the game and none is interested in the old ones anymore, but we're talking about shaving.

There are lots of things that i've learned from this and a few other forums and while there's a lot of useful information, tips and tricks, there are also many misconceptions, hype, myths and legends that are unproven, but spread around by a few people, which might mislead others, especially if they are new to this hobby and it takes some time to learn the difference.

My advice is to always take everything with a grain of salt, especially if we're talking about rare and expensive products.

I respectifully disagree having just purchased all three within the last month for family members.

I never found a Fatboy that sold for under $50 that wasn't beat up. The average was around $60.

However, I bought 64 Slim for $17 shipped and in great shape. I also bought a SA 84mm for $18 shipped also in great shape.

However as you said YMMV
I've bought 6 fatboys and the most I've payed was $20 amd the least I've payed was $5 all in good condition. This one was $10
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Notre Dame is always over rated. I prefer to think of shaving gear as valued, and that is always personal. I may see great value in a Manchurian badger, while the next bloke sees no reason to use anything other than his big soft boar. He and I value Manchurian brushes differently, that's all.

But like I said, Notre Dame is always over rated. We all can agree on that.

I've bought 6 fatboys and the most I've payed was $20 amd the least I've payed was $5 all in good condition. This one was $10

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I was never able to find a Fatboy even in bad shape for less than 40-50$ and they are always heavily camped on the bay and for the most part I gave up looking. I'm mostly interested to have one in my collection rather than wanting to shave with it all the time, since I doubt that a Fatboy is going to impress me more than a Slim or Super Adjustable.

Not a fan of the Futur myself. The razor hangs out in a drawer. I really like the clones of the of the Futur. They all seem to start much milder than the Merkur product, which I really prefer. My worst cut was with a Futur. So, in my view, the Futur is overrated. I wouldn't call MdC overrated, but perhaps over priced? Also, since I prefer the milder razors, the R41 isn't my favorite either. I think the headline of calling them "overrated" is simply clickbait. We've grown so accustomed to it online and on the air. It's really nothing new:

I used MdC Fougére today with the Mühle R41 and a Simpson Emperor 3. Results were superb and quicker to achieve than with any of my other razors (and I have many). In fact, Mantic’s post has reminded me that none of my other razors (vintage or modern) can hold a candle to the R41 in terms of the shave itself. If I didn’t know better I would say the R41 is underrated, but I happen to know and realize that it‘s just not for everyone.

I used a Simpson brush (the Astor) yesterday also. All together I have 28 Simpson brushes. I wonder if those are overrated also.

1614716210792.png

There are times when I think the only soaps, razors, or shaving products that are not considered overrated is if they advertise on the writer's blog or if the writer receives the product free.

I happen to like MdC soap both for its performance and longevity. I hear the praises of some artisan soaps and they may perform nicely - but disappear in half the time of MdC.

I recall getting into a debate with a fan of an artisan soap maker when he complained about my comment that a tin a Klar soap weighed about the same as his favorite soap, cost the same, but lasted five times longer and, therefore, was a better buy. It turned out the "fan" became a shill after he admitted that he became a tester for the artisan and received free soaps on a regular basis.

I came across this post yesterday in Mantic’s blog.

Two of the over-rated products mentioned were MdC Shaving Soaps and the Merkur Futur Razor. Since both of these are favorites of mine, I used them this morning (with an Astra SP blade). Using them today helped me realize how truly great they are.

Another of the over-rated products was the Mühle R41 Razor, which also happens to be a favorite of mine. I’ll be using that (2011 version) tomorrow morning with another variant of MdC.
Mantic prefers mild razors and has a sweet spot for the oneblade genesis so not a real surprise would have suited him better to simply say not my cup of tea.

And though I am happy with a futul found a r41 a nice challenge but not a daily driver and mdc nice soap just not mine (I prefer stronger scents) and heck even mantics beloved genesis wonderfull design and a very nice shaver but for me it was a wallhanger I preferred razors costing a fraction so I flogged it! And no would not call it overrated.... overpriced definitely!

Last edited:
Top Bottom