What's new

49 years later, I finally got my pen back.

I was just about to send off my old Sheaffer Imperial to get repaired to a usable condition, but while giving it a closer inspection I noticed a hairline small crack starting right below the the touchdown where it screws into the barrel. I figured I really only wanted it for sentimental reasons anyway, I'll just put it on the shelf so I can see it.

However, it did get me interested in fountain pens again, so I just purchased an inexpensive Pilot Metropolitan to practice with for a while.

View attachment 1293514
That's the pen I bought recently, my first fountain pen. I really like it.

I was just about to send off my old Sheaffer Imperial to get repaired to a usable condition, but while giving it a closer inspection I noticed a hairline small crack starting right below the the touchdown where it screws into the barrel. I figured I really only wanted it for sentimental reasons anyway, I'll just put it on the shelf so I can see it.

However, it did get me interested in fountain pens again, so I just purchased an inexpensive Pilot Metropolitan to practice with for a while.

View attachment 1293514

srill might be worth sending at least pics to Danny. My Imperial had a crack too. Works like a dream now.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
srill might be worth sending at least pics to Danny. My Imperial had a crack too. Works like a dream now.
I didn't know that once the barrel developed a crack it could be repaired.
I'll definitely have to look into that, thanks for the info!

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I managed to get a pic of the crack.
Is this similar to the problem you had and was able to have repaired?
Also, thanks for the advice, otherwise I wouldn't have thought there was even the chance for a repair.
I'll take your advice and send a pic to Danny.

20210708_180337_kindlephoto-29733984.jpg

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
It's not just cosmetic but Sheaffer made a Brazillian of that model and it's very likely Danny might know where there is a black body if it cannot be repaired.

Also, that is NOT a totally unknown place for that model to crack.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
mine was at the other end, towards the feed/nib, and internal. and I wonder if yours is just cosmetic.
I don't know if it's cosmetic or not, as you can see the silver of the touchdown tube through it. I think it might also get larger in time.

I took your advice and sent a picture to Danny, and he responded shortly after and said he may be able to repair the crack, and do the restoring as well. I just returned from the post office so the pen is now on it's way.

Thanks again for the advice about the crack, at least there is a chance of the pen working again, whereas it would just be sitting on the shelf if not for your suggestion. 😁

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
My pen arrived this morning!
Excellent work by Danny Fudge, and he was able to replace the cracked barrel. Only took one week from shipping to receiving, and Danny is a real pleasure to do business with, fantastic price also.

Thank you so much to everyone for the great advice and information!

20210716_112609_kindlephoto-14471834.jpg

View attachment 1293514
I have the very same one (the Pilot Metropolitan that is), and what a nice writer!

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I have the very same one (the Pilot Metropolitan that is), and what a nice writer!
Agreed, I've been enjoying the Pilot Metropolitan and Kakuno as well. I think both are great value for the price pens.

I have an Imperial that I love. The barrel cracked and I got an Australian barrel that fit to find a crack in the nib unit. The nib is wonderful, I may send it out to see if it is the culprit...

You have a nice piece there!

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I have an Imperial that I love. The barrel cracked and I got an Australian barrel that fit to find a crack in the nib unit. The nib is wonderful, I may send it out to see if it is the culprit...

You have a nice piece there!
Thank you. I hope you're able to get your pen repaired also.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Fred:
Lovely Sheaffer (white dot), FP after all these years and what an incredable and touching story (glad you got it back)! :thumbsup:

fountain-pen-icon-png.860996
"The art of writing [with a FP] is the art of discovering what you believe". Gustave Flaubert

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Fred:
Lovely Sheaffer (white dot), FP after all these years and what an incredable and touching story (glad you got it back)! :thumbsup:

fountain-pen-icon-png.860996
"The art of writing [with a FP] is the art of discovering what you believe". Gustave Flaubert
Thank you very much.
I got some excellent advice from the good gentlemen in this forum, and now enjoy using it again often.

Top Bottom