What's new

Help! Trying shaving again after 3.5 years

Shave in one pass with the grain only and don’t use pressure.

Don’t try for bbs and don’t go nuts on your cleanup passes or problem spots.

Use an alcohol based product or aftershave post shave and then apply a moisturizer. I like clubman bump gel but witch hazel is fine and stings less.

Don’t feel your face excessively post shave.

Dunk your razor and blade in rubbing alcohol post shave.

Shave once a day at most.

Ymmv

I should have mentioned it on my first post. Your pictures indicate you are getting too deep of a cut. If you are using a DE adjustable razor, back off the adjustment to the mildest setting and use mild blades.

The Proraso preshave oil is but you might try out olive or vegetable oil it does a freaking good job. If your lather is poor the oil will add that extra slickness. This is my routine if I use any oil:

1) Take a super hot shower
2) Apply the oil on your face
3) Apply the lather on your face
4) Shave
5) Rinse face and start with point 2 except this time you do a different pass, however I'm not sure if you're able to go an ATG or and XTG.

You can't go wrong with an Astra SP blade, they are very mild TBH I think they're the best blades for beginners. I would completely avoid Derby blades they always gave me an annoying rash the next day. If you still have that beard I would first use a hair clipper to reduce it to the minimum before shaving with the DE razor.

As for the aftershave, you can use that Proraso pre-shave cream as an aftershave it works too. One of the most important lessons I had learned during my DE shaving journey is always wait for your face to recover before you shave.

The only time I got whiteheads after shaving was using an electric shaver and over shaving (abrading) my skin while trying to get an extremely close shave.

So, I'm wondering if your skin is sensitive to too many passes. I think the advice given already: a single pass WTG shave, or a two pass WTG/XTG (at most) is sound advice.

My skin is not super sensitive but will break out occasionally, so I limit my shaves to every-other day to give my skin time to recover fully.

I also use Stridex pads (5% salysilic acid) once or twice per day and it has eliminated even the occasional shaving-related blemish. The only caution would be that salysilic acid has a drying effect, so it may potentially make the situation worse for someone with ultra-sensitive skin.

Good luck. 🙂

Was that pict taken after your first shave after having beard??

If you have had a beard:
trimm w electric down
wash and exfoliate for 3+ days.....
Then consider a one pass shave..... I still use that Stridex wipe on the skin those days and pre shave.
Any pre shave
And a new sharp blade , 1 or 2 passes.....
Dont' shave every day.....
Use an aftershave: witch hazel with alcohol
Then balm...

If this doesn't work, try a Norelco One Blade and use it 3 times a week, without pressing hard (use Lectric Pre shave and and aftershave) it won't be as smooth as a blade, but may work.

This advice took me YEARS to find out.....had issues like you describe....; I now shave every 2-3d....and rarely have any issues.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I suffer from a painful, disfiguring, chronic skin disease with chronic lesions, that is exacerbated by any skin irritation during shaving. One ingrown hair could turn into a large lesion that may take many months to heal. I have so much scar tissue that a beard is out of the question. I've tried electrics, cartridges, double edges, etc. but the only thing that has even come close to keeping the attacks at bay is using a straight razor.

I wish I would have known about straight shaving when my children were babies. The smooth straight shaves would have been much better on their baby skin than any of my other attempts at a close shave. Most likely, better on my skin also. I really liked smooching my babies....and felt a lot of guilt when the wife pointed out the irritation on the babies skin, even after freshly shaving.

Dude, you look great with a beard. Wish I had that option. With 3 days of beard growth I just look......deplorable...and it goes down hill fast from there. YMMV

There's lots of good advice here and I suspect OP already has enough to think about but the top picture makes me want to jump in, as I can also get bumps like these in those same areas of the face. It's rare and usually after a serious lapse in concentration - I can feel when I have made a mistake that will cause them during the shave, long before they actually appear.

For me, the cause is always over-shaving and too much pressure, which paradoxically seems to be more of a problem with milder razors.

So, to repeat and add to what has already been said:

- Map the beard direction all over. It probably changes direction in different parts of the face. You need to memorise those changes and have a mental image of the growth directions, because you can't see the bristles when your face is covered with lather!

- Proper preparation is key, especially if you are getting tough, grey, old man whiskers. 2+ minutes exposure to warm water is best. A shower is the easiest way to achieve this. I would also use this time to wash the face, so that it is clean prior to shaving. Properly saturating the hairs reduces the force needed to cut them by up to 65%. That means less pressure is required and reduces the chance of over-shaving from having to hack through tough whiskers.

- To begin with, shave only with the grain. The shave won't be especially close, but it should help you to start getting your technique down while reducing the chance of ingrowns and bumps. You can make two passes WTG if necessary.

- Use a very light touch. No pressure. Just gently remove the lather. Imagine you are shaving the surface of a balloon without bursting it. Too much pressure means over-shaving and trapped hair follicles, which cause the bumps. If you didn't have a history of dermatological issues I would say that, based on your picture, the problem is almost certainly too much pressure. DE razors ain't like cartridges and don't need to be pressed down to shave effectively. A light touch is even more important if you find that you do need to go across the grain or against the grain in some areas to get an even result - if you can feel contact between the razor and your face, that's all the pressure you need.

- But to use light pressure effectively, the angle of the razor needs to be right. A common problem for new DE users is compensating for a slightly off angle with pressure. The easiest way to find the angle is to start on the sideburns with just the cap touching the face and the handle perpendicular. It won't shave. Gradually move the angle of the handle down so that it becomes more acute. Eventually, you will feel the blade starting to grab at the tops of the hairs. It will feel tuggy. Move down a little more and the blade will be angled directly at the base of the hairs, which is where you want it. When the angle is right, it will feel efficient. You may need to repeat this process consciously with each stroke when you are learning, until you develop the muscle memory to automatically adjust.

- As stated above, keep strokes short at 5-10mm. It's easier to maintain the right pressure and angle with short strokes.

- Make sure your blade is up to snuff. Sharp blades can actually be easier to use than dull baldes. Dull blades = hacking, discomfort and too much pressure to get them shaving. Don't worry about blade life. If you feel like you need to use a fresh blade for every shave then do it. Another advantage for you could be that using fresh blades helps to keep things sanitary. Speaking of which, although it doesn't help ingrowns, keeping the face clean can often help with general shaving irritation, so that's another good reason to wash the face before shaving, and keep it clean throughout the day. I have pale skin that's prone to allergies / dermatitus, etc and have certainly noticed that after a slightly rough shave, the build-up of dirt and oils during the day can cause irritation to appear that wasn't there immediately after shaving, and washing the face with a gentle cleanser calms it down again.

- Personally, I would avoid greasy aftershave balms and things that plump the skin, as this could cause the pores to engulf the recently shaved hairs. As suggested, an astringent like witch hazel is a good option, or a plain old alcohol splash. I would also avoid pre-shaves unless your goal is to add more slickness to the soap. That could be helpful for you - more slickness is never a bad thing - but in terms of skin / whisker preparation, they don't really add anything.

- Practice is key. You don't say how long you have been DE shaving, or how often, but it takes time to learn to shave with the right technique and routine for your face. Don't give up. Just remember: good prep, with the grain only, good angle, short strokes, no pressure.

- I don't know for sure, but I think that perhaps the razor you are using is a mild, chinese razor. Whilst I am sure it is possible to get a nice shave from it, you may actually find life easier with something a bit more aggressive / efficient. Gear preferences are very personal. If you are happy with it then carry on, but maybe other members can comment on how mild it is and perhaps suggest something else that would be a step up in efficiency whilst still being beginner friendly. Inevitably, people will suggest Hensons...ironically, the last razor that gave me bumps like the ones in your photo was a Henson! For solving "shaving problems" I would stick to traditional razor designs - they may need more work at the outset, but they have stood the test of time.

- And finally, did I mention "no pressure"? That's super important! :001_smile
Outstanding post! And I'll "amen!" the point about pressure. I think of it as "skimming" the skin with the blade; just enough pressure for the blade to touch the skin. Best of luck to you!

I'm about to buy some Shaveworks The Cool Fix lotion to try as it's got good reviews in helping people with ingrown hairs, might be worth looking into. I get razor bumps in the lower portion of my neck when going ATG so going to give the product a try and see how it goes and report back. I've taken a break from shaving for a similar time and grown a beard due to ill health and just start shaving again recently and my skin isn't liking it.

The purpose of this post is to ask for some advice. I'll give a brief history of my experience with shaving in hopes it will procure the best responses. Thanks in advance!

I'm a 44 year old mixed caucasian male (Italian/Spanish/German heritage) with medium brown curly hair. Most of my facial hair (whiskers) have turned white, as has my chest hair (but not the hair on my head). I started shaving when I was about 15 years old and always had a problem with ingrown hairs/razor bumps, etc that led to infections, crusty skin and just a host of shaving problems over the years. While I could sometimes shave and initially it would feel ok, it was rare that it felt or looked good hours later or days later, as I would see razor bumps forming, sometimes a few, sometimes in patches (picture below, though it got much worse than that; this is the only pic I have).

View attachment 1735117

Over the years, I have tried: single, double and triple blade disposables, foil and rotary electric shavers, depilatories, straight razors and about eight different double edge safety razors with a variety of blades. While the latter combination seemed to be the best, I still had the same outcome. The patches of bubbling, scabbing infections around my mouth and chin only seemed to get worse and worse. Sometimes I would just notice that while whiskers above my lip and on my cheeks were growing back, I couldn't see any whiskers coming in below my lips on both sides and I could feel trouble brewing below the surface. Sometimes the whole area would crust over and be infected with pus underneath. I was taking antibiotics orally and applying topically. To have to shave again was almost unbearable, and it took weeks to heal, just to start all over again. It got to the point that I decided to stop shaving about 3.5 years ago, since which time I have maintained a beard (picture below), which is what dermatologists and skin estheticians have recommended for me to do for many years now. While I was happy to find out I can have a very nice looking beard that is filled in and well-shaped, I've never really wanted or had a beard before, though I grew accustomed to it (though I dyed it since a lot of it is white, especially on the cheeks). Still, I prefer to be clean shaven.

View attachment 1735116

A couple of days ago I decided to give shaving another go for a few reasons. For one, I now live in a different environment (near Cancun, Mexico) and didn't know if that would have any effect since places I previously lived (the 'foothills' of South Carolina; Panajachel and Antigua, Guatemala) were different in elevation, humidity, etc. Also, maybe there are some advances in products in the last few years that I haven't tried. Mostly though, I think I can try to be more methodical and careful in my approach to shaving. I somewhat did this when I started wet shaving with DE razors (age 35-40), but perhaps I could give attention to pre-shave and post-shave practices that will help. I don't know if it is the products, attention to cleanliness of equipment, process or whatever - but I am hoping to get some good advice here.

Currently I have a Vikings Blade "The Chieftain" DE razor, a good variety of blades, Proraso Eucalyptus and Menthol Shave Soap and GoodFellas After Shave Moisturizing Balm. I don't have any pre-shave product, but was considering the Proraso Refreshing Eucalyptus and Menthol Pre Shave Cream. I invite and greatly appreciate any advice you can give (products, routines, best practices, etc), especially if you have had a similar issue and had success overcoming
I kinda have a similar problem my facial hair is like wire. My post shave ritual is rinse my face with cold water then rub my alum block over my face. Wait 2 minutes rinse again then apply witch hazel it will prevent razor bumps from happening and it soothes the skin if you have razor burn. I like using Thayers witch hazel with aloe but any witch hazel will work. Hope that works for you.

@originalBear , I'd reiterate the recommendation from above that in addition to the best pre and post shave routines, all covered above, you just so a single one pass shave with the grain. While this won't be BBS it will be socially acceptable. Also get as mild a razor as you can that will do the job. The King C. Gillette razors are very mild, reasonably readily available and typically sold for $20-$25.

Top Bottom