What's new

49 years later, I finally got my pen back.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Around 1972 I had my first fountain pen taken away from me, a Sheaffer white dot. I was only 10 years old, so I'm guessing at the name "white dot", as it's been a while.

The nib is 14k, and the cap is 12k G.F.
20201226_194015_kindlephoto-247753709.jpg
20201226_194620_kindlephoto-247717938.jpg
20201226_194114_kindlephoto-247821833.jpg
I don't know if it works or much about it, just happy to have it back for sentimental reasons.

Attachments

• 20201226_194015_kindlephoto-247753709.jpg
    20201226_194015_kindlephoto-247753709.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 19

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
OK, who took it away from you and why did it take almost 50 years to get it back?

There's some pieces of this story gone missing here. :huh:
Given to me by my Father, taken away by my mother.
I had forgotten all about it over the years, but a few months ago I asked my now very elderly Mother if she remembered the pen during a conversation we were having about long ago, and she did. She had kept it in a drawer all these years, and returned it to me today.
I think the real problem was with my school teacher at the time for some reason. Other than that I don't remember.
Anyway, my Father passed away two years later so it's very special to me.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Wow, great story @Fred D and what seems to be a quite lovely Sheaffer Imperial VIII

Congrats on that!
Thank you, and appreciate you letting me know the name. This pen unscrews at the top to pull on a barrel to load the ink from an inkwell. I wiped the nib a little to clean it with a damp rag and there was such a beautiful color of blue ink that I don't see any more.
It really was very nice to hold that pen in my hand again so many years later,

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Great pen and a great story as well. Glad that your mum kept it all these years. That has made my day. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Touchdown filling system -- it fills on the down stroke.

View attachment 1200403
Good info for loading the pen, I would have thought the opposite when using the plunger, it's been a while since I used it.
I'm pretty sure I will have to send it out to have the bladder replaced, and any gaskets it may have inside.

Legion

Staff member
That is a cool story. Glad you have it back.
All the stuff taken off me as a kid were weapons, so I doubt anyone saved them for me.

I had a very similar model of Sheaffer restored by Danny Fudge, who does good work at affordable prices. Very nice pens, although not the largest ink capacity even when fully functional. Easy to refill, though, and very nice nibs. It's great that you got one back that had personal associations for you.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I had a very similar model of Sheaffer restored by Danny Fudge, who does good work at affordable prices. Very nice pens, although not the largest ink capacity even when fully functional. Easy to refill, though, and very nice nibs. It's great that you got one back that had personal associations for you.
Thanks for info, I checked out his web page and it looks like a very reasonably priced and safe place to send the pen to.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Beautiful pen and great story. Thanks for sharing! So you wiped the nib and ink came out? Was your mom using it all this time? Usually the ink dries up if the pen is not being used.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Beautiful pen and great story. Thanks for sharing! So you wiped the nib and ink came out? Was your mom using it all this time? Usually the ink dries up if the pen is not being used.
No my mother didn't use the pen at all, it just sat in her desk drawer. The ink was no doubt dried, but the water I used to clean the nib is what turned a diluted version of the ink I suspect. I was able to write my name a few times.
Sorry for the poor photo, but you get the idea.
20201227_070827_kindlephoto-252217755.jpg

I’ve got a couple Imperials, but a lower grade than yours. they're great pens. Danny Fudge fixed one of mine when it sprang a leak. He does impeccable work at a great price.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I’ve got a couple Imperials, but a lower grade than yours. they're great pens. Danny Fudge fixed one of mine when it sprang a leak. He does impeccable work at a great price.
I'm definitely planning on contacting him in the near future.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I was just about to send off my old Sheaffer Imperial to get repaired to a usable condition, but while giving it a closer inspection I noticed a hairline small crack starting right below the the touchdown where it screws into the barrel. I figured I really only wanted it for sentimental reasons anyway, I'll just put it on the shelf so I can see it.

However, it did get me interested in fountain pens again, so I just purchased an inexpensive Pilot Metropolitan to practice with for a while.

20210707_224755_kindlephoto-20434635.jpg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Can’t go wrong with a Pilot Metro! Very versatile FP for starting out. Excellent to try all the various inks in as well. Not so expensive so if you ruin it somehow not a major loss.

Top Bottom