What's new

4711 Surprise

Well, after being on the forums for a short time and slowly expanding into other threads, I now find myself in the fragrances with a short post on the subject.

I have had a bottle of 4711 stashed away, untouched for probably 30 years, maybe more, and decided this evening to crack it open again to see if there was any scent left. Lo and behold, the smell was just as nice as I remember. I am sure that it's not as strong as it once was, but still smells wonderful!!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
:lol: It wasn't strong to begin with!

But add a few drops glycerin and it becomes a very nice aftershave.

the glycerin may help it linger longer if used as cologne. Anyways. I have a half-gallon bottle of the stuff, I could wash my car with it. Love 4711!

AA

I love 4711 and use it for 99% of my shaves as an aftershave splash. Right now, though, during my own private Speicktober, I sam using and loving Speick aftershave. Very soothing, and the scent lasts longer than my beloved 4711.

4711 gave us the very term Cologne, which makes sense as it it a street number in that city. It was standard issue to U-boat crews to combat the stench of oil, bilge, unbathed and unshaved men and foul air- something like most urban centers today. Most saved it for their girls. Another marvelous german product Ballistol ; universal lubricant, cleaner, leather dressing is also still in production. Unlike 4711 it really stinks.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Wow! Interesting. Der Unterseeboot-Cologne.

+1 on Ballistol; makes me cough when I smell it. Not bad, just very licorice/anise-y. And a fine product on leather, wood, steel or even wounds. (I tried it; works, but you wind up with a scar).

AA

I picked up an older unopened set of the aftershave and cologne. Just what I remember as a kid. The aftershave is a bit more musky on the top note than the cologne.

i have just got some 4711 cologne and AS. i have to say it is a nice smell. quite flowery and feminine though.

Last edited by a moderator:
A while back I bought one of the big bottles at Bed Bath & Beyond. It's enough for three lifetimes!
I haven't even used up the small squeeze bottle into which I offloaded a portion.
I like it well enough but it gets only occasional use.

Top Bottom