What's new

40 years ago....

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Today is the 40th anniversary of my start of Cosmetology school instead of my senior year of high skool. Oh, that barely 17 year old me had no idea what he was getting into! But, at least it kept me from wasting money in college for the next 22+ years! I may keep this thread alive by posting some fun stories about people and their hairstyle choices. Or the things they tell some dude cutting their hair!

1979 was a very good year...

You heard the Reader's Digest condensed version of the stories told their bartender.
dave

Fifty years ago...I was going with a new hair style. The shaved head look went with the just issued Army green fatigues.

Actually, I blinked when Uncle Sam took my military ID photo. Looked like a pic of an Idaho potato.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Fifty years ago...I was going with a new hair style. The shaved head look went with the just issued Army green fatigues.

Actually, I blinked when Uncle Sam took my military ID photo. Looked like a pic of an Idaho potato.

I remember that time...had to wear the heavy combat boots instead of the tennis shoes they use now days.

FarmerTan

The tale is told that once Mark Twain came to a town to give one of his lectures, and went to the local barber for a haircut. The barber asked if he was going to see Mark Twain. Then he told him if he wanted to, he'd better hurry, as it was down to standing room only. Twain replied, "Every time that fella speaks I have to stand up!" That was for you, @Brian C. !

The tale is told that once Mark Twain came to a town to give one of his lectures, and went to the local barber for a haircut. The barber asked if he was going to see Mark Twain. Then he told him if he wanted to, he'd better hurry, as it was down to standing room only. Twain replied, "Every time that fella speaks I have to stand up!" That was for you, @Brian C. !

Thank you so much sir. :) I am looking forward to hearing some stories.

FarmerTan

No, not really. I ran into an old friend from then once at a craft store with my wife. She hadn't changed at all, but she recognized me right away. She was also still doing hair, though by then I had lost most of my female clientele. Marriage kinda hampers women from flirting with their hairdresser, lol.

FarmerTan

How much do you hate cutting a Flat Top ?
Man, it really REALLY depends on the head! My first one I ever did the guy came back a week later! Ticked me off. Wanna know why he was back so soon? Seems he enjoyed his time in the presence of a certain lady? and figured I was his good luck charm.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Man, it really REALLY depends on the head! My first one I ever did the guy came back a week later! Ticked me off. Wanna know why he was back so soon? Seems he enjoyed his time in the presence of a certain lady? and figured I was his good luck charm.
Most of my life, until about 25ish I wore a Flat Top. Amazing how many barbers could not do it right. Only 2 were worth their weight in gold. And they all hated my cowlick on the back of my head.

FarmerTan

Most of my life, until about 25ish I wore a Flat Top. Amazing how many barbers could not do it right. Only 2 were worth their weight in gold. And they all hated my cowlick on the back of my head.
Lol, everybody has a funky spot on their head. And most folks want a hairstyle that either doesn't fit their hair or doesn't fit their face.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great thread FT! Look forward to some stories. My long time barber was a salt of the earth sweetheart and hot head combined. He ran a rooming house above his shop. Once he punched a misbehaving tenant and broke his hand. When he was a young man he gave a baby up for adoption. I got a chance to meet his son after they reconnected some how decades later. he reestablished that connection and had 2 grand sons to get to know. As you can tell i liked him very much. One life can touch so many. He passed away too early in his 60s from the big c. He is missed by the town and his family.

FarmerTan

Great thread FT! Look forward to some stories. My long time barber was a salt of the earth sweetheart and hot head combined. He ran a rooming house above his shop. Once he punched a misbehaving tenant and broke his hand. When he was a young man he gave a baby up for adoption. I got a chance to meet his son after they reconnected some how decades later. he reestablished that connection and had 2 grand sons to get to know. As you can tell i liked him very much. One life can touch so many. He passed away too early in his 60s from the big c. He is missed by the town and his family.
Sounds like a great guy. I only got mad once in a while in my shop, and the guy was a Pastor and a part time real estate agent. He tried to steal some of my land and my Irish and Native blood combined to kick him out of my shop. I wish it had been in the middle of a haircut. I give the details when I settle down!

My mom just closed her shop and retired after being in the same location since 1972. Some of the stories she used to tell about her clients would keep you in stitches. I remember once, however, in 1975 or so, she had a client in a nursing home that was 102 years old. Her mind was still sharp as a tack and mom had taken me with her on a Saturday while she did her hair. She told stories of coming across the plains in a wagon with her dad driving the wagon and her mom with a rifle across her lap. I wish I had paid more attention to her when she was telling the stories.

Top Bottom