What's new

2nd home roast.

Hey people.

My first roast wasn't a disaster, but definitely was too dark. Here is a shot of my second roast. Dumped out of the popper at 3.5 minutes, into one of the cracks (can't tell which yet). Letting sit at least until later tonight, if I can hold out I'll try it in the morning.

proxy.php

hey, that's really cool.

How was your first roast's taste? Did you like it?

Let us know how you liked your second roast.

By the way, how do you brew your coffee?

I trashed my first roast, too burnt. Quite nasty to me, but the wife didn't mind it so much. I use a 3 cup french press, but I only have a cheapie blade grinder. Just have to convince the wife to let me get a nicer grinder in the future.

For some reason I was thinking of a beef roast when I saw this threadline. But coffee is good too.

For some reason I was thinking of a beef roast when I saw this threadline. But coffee is good too.

Haha, I did roast a tri-tip on the grill the other day. Was also very good.

I just brewed a cup, much much better. I'm enjoying it as I'm typing this, and just to think that coffee is supposed to reach its best at 2-3 days. Lookin forward to seeing how this plays out :)

Is it pretty bright and astringent?

It's a very light roast, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It probably doesn't taste much like "coffee", if that makes sense. Is that about right?

Give it 4 days, and it'll mellow out and become more balanced, or any errors will begin to show themselves a little more clearly.

Lighter is better. :)

Yep, I was going to say it looks too light. You can go quite a bit darker as long as the beans don't get shiny which means the sugars are starting to come out of the bean.

I just roasted some more, but I think I chickened out and dumped them at about the same level.

Whats funny is that I brewed a cup of the previous roast just a couple of hours after they came out of the roaster and it tasted pretty good - nice a toasted. But the next morning, it tasted burnt and a tad sour. Whats wrong here? Were the not cooled enough and kept roasting internally?

Usually they recommend letting the beans sit at least 12 hours and probably 24. Some take a couple of days. The beans in your picture I think were way too light. They degas and that affects the flavor.

I know this is getting off topic as this is past my second roast, but I have a question for you seasoned coffee pros. My 2nd and 3rd roasts were light, very light according to this thread. Why does it smell and taste burnt/sourish after 1 - 2 days of resting? Is it a characteristic of a super light roast?

"sour" and "bitter" are actually opposites.

I realize that your tasting vocabulary isn't very well developed at this point, but you may be describing an astringency along with a very bright acidity that is more dominant that you'd like (or may be preferable).

The roasting method you are using is quite fast, and as a result, the bean doesn't always get thoroughly dried in the early phase of the roasting process. "Roasting too fast" often results in astringency, and can result in a flavor that many call "green".

Also, some coffees just have a naturally higher acidic flavor than others.

I'd still go about 20-30 seconds into second crack before dumping.

First crack sounds kind of like popcorn popping. Second crack sounds kind of like Rice Krispies "talking". Everyone has their own analogy, but that's about what it sounds like to me.

Ok, put fewer beans in this time which slowed the roast down. Just into second crack, look better this time?

proxy.php

Are you using a thermometer to track temps? What kind of popper / set-up are you using?

I use a rule I garnered off another website to make sure that it takes no less than 3 minutes to get to 300 degrees, then let the roasting process run its course.

I target 465 to 475 degrees for most beans, rather than relying on the sound / colour. This is a light vienna roast (I think).

My roasting place is a bit dark and colour is not always the best guide for me....so temperature helps me track the roast better.

Even at 465, its nowhere near a dark roast. I find this temperature range works well for press pot coffee, and for my espresso machine.

Barry

It does look better.

I was never able to get accurate temp readings from an air popper setup, so I got used to going by color/sound/instinct.

Hey Jasonian

I just tried roasting again tonight, I think I did much better than the first go. I let it in to middle of the second crack this time.

I just realized that the first roast never even made it to first crack judging by this roast. Perhaps thats why I thought it was so horrible in my last thread about me giving up.

I cant wait to give it a go tomorrow the beans look dark with a touch of oiliness.

I would say my first roast was very green tasting, very astringent.

No thermometer, right now its just a stock popper. I plan on modifying it so I can slow the roasts down, right now the only variable I can control is the amount of beans, 1/4 cup is all I can put in and keep the roast long enough. Its a Presto Poplite, not the "proper" design, but works all the same. I'll keep an eye out for fires.

Are you using a thermometer to track temps? What kind of popper / set-up are you using?

I use a rule I garnered off another website to make sure that it takes no less than 3 minutes to get to 300 degrees, then let the roasting process run its course.

I target 465 to 475 degrees for most beans, rather than relying on the sound / colour. This is a light vienna roast (I think).

My roasting place is a bit dark and colour is not always the best guide for me....so temperature helps me track the roast better.

Even at 465, its nowhere near a dark roast. I find this temperature range works well for press pot coffee, and for my espresso machine.

Barry

Wow, you must like a really dark roast. my machine max's out at 480 and it never actually gets past 460. I usually let it run to 460 until first crack and then dial it down to around 440. Usually from start to finish takes about 11 minutes for a Full City or Full City Plus.

Wow, you must like a really dark roast. my machine max's out at 480 and it never actually gets past 460. I usually let it run to 460 until first crack and then dial it down to around 440. Usually from start to finish takes about 11 minutes for a Full City or Full City Plus.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/roasting-VisualGuideV2.html

According to BEAN temp, you're right. Unfortunately, in most home roasting machines, the measured temp is rarely as accurate as we'd like to think. His 460F may really be quite a bit lower.

What's important is that you can correlate the temperature reading with the cup profile with your own setup. It won't translate well, but if you're just roasting at home, it shouldn't need to.

Top Bottom