2021 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek

Still In

IMG_20210220_110911911~2.jpg

SOTD
Shark Super Stainless(20)
Rockwell 6c Plate 4
Vitos Green
Lonestar Aftershave

With no claim of the skills of JAHE and others, this was my shave today. Gillette New short comb with a Polsiver Super Iridium on the second day. Brush is what I believe is called the Omega Mighty Midget. It is one that I am really coming to like. Soap was Cella in a repurposed AOS tub. Frankly, I like the Cella way more than I ever did the AOS. Very smooth and close shave. Alum block let me know that I got a little aggressive in spots but that's the price of being in a hurry. I am still working through an 8 ounce of jar of shave balm that I picked up at TJ MAx for $6.99 It is not bad but nothing special. Nice enough scent. If I wasn't so cheap I would just throw out the last couple of ounces but my mother would haunt me.

It's like shaving... A whole lot of "try and error"... Just do it!
I too appreciate these excellent photos. Apart from trial and error, it seems you always take care to make everything scrupulously clean, arrange things nicely, ensure you have a light source that produces the effect you desire. Thanks for all that! The intelligence and care that you give to this certainly shows.

I like a lot of other people’s photos too, of course, including my own. They don’t all play by all the same rules, but they are good.

I want to make a correction to my post. I said the brush was an Omega Mighty Midget. The brush that I used is actually model 40033. It is a boar brush with a tiny plastic handle. I bought it during restock because I wanted to see what a $7.00 brush could do. I really like the feel with a lot of "scritch" and backbone. Because it is really small, it can be a challenge to get to the bottom of a deep tub but it lathers well, feels good, and costs next to nothing. I believe that this is not the Mighty Midget but it is a very worthy little brush that breaks in nicely
1613870867494.png

Still in.
Razor: FOCS
Blade: PolSilver (3)
Brush: Semogue 830
Bowl: Timeless
Soap & A/S: CC Nor’easter
Great shave today. Wanted to try the FOCS again as I haven’t used it since I received my Karve for Christmas! Also this was the best lather I’ve had with this brush to date. I’ve been breaking in this brush and it keeps getting better! Tried the @Marco method today for the first time. I was thoroughly impressed! Thank you for sharing that technique with us!
9D6F57D1-E3FB-4EDA-AE64-68C7CEBD1095.jpeg

I too appreciate these excellent photos. Apart from trial and error, it seems you always take care to make everything scrupulously clean, arrange things nicely, ensure you have a light source that produces the effect you desire. Thanks for all that! The intelligence and care that you give to this certainly shows.

I like a lot of other people’s photos too, of course, including my own. They don’t all play by all the same rules, but they are good.
Thank you, Sir, for your kind and positive feedback. That is true I try to do a bit of arrangement prior to taking a shot (with my mobile's cam).

With working from home these days it is way easier for me to take "proper" photos due to availability of daylight. I regularly shave in the very early morning (5:20 am), which means that the ambiant light is poor when I start shaving. Now I am able to postpone taking the photo to a coffee break from work (with having daylight available)...

Some photos posted here on b&b by others are true pieces of photography art in my eyes... However, I enjoy every single photo posted re: shaving gear and I'd like to encourage everyone to just add a photo (now and then)... No one HAS to post photos, for sure. I just wanted to emphasize: don't be reluctant to share a photo because others post "more skilled" photos... :thumbsup:

Have a nice Sunday, everyone!

Still in

Today I managed to get irritation from an almost toothless razor, my haste is to blame.

Efficiency of OC 84 has spoiled me, I'll continue to use the same razor for the week, hopefully by then I'll find that sweet spot of efficiency/ enjoyment again.

Once you go down the road of more efficient razors, it's hard to settle for well behaved razors.

RazoRock BBS Stainless Steel
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Gillette 7 O'clock Black (4)
Omega 10005
Anherb ASC

SOTD (052/2021)
21-02-2021

>> "One blade in February"- challenge <<

20210221_111715-01.jpeg

Preshave: frigid tap water.
Brush: Omega 11148 23/54
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Orange Chill
Razor: Fatip Open Comb Slant
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword China (21)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap ~ Orange Chill AS, witch hazel and psb.

Weather-wise, strange things happen in the western parts of Germany these days... 10 days ago the temperature was freezing cold (down to a whopping -19°C) with a lot of snow and ice (but at least we did not suffer as others do right now - hang in there, Texas!)...

Today, we have a sunny Sunday here with temperatures up to +20°C, which is just as uncommon in our region in February as the former icy weather...

However, it's been a great opportunity to get Orange Chill aka my preferred mentholated shaving stuff started.

I LOVE this stuff. Period.

Hope, your Sunday is as sunny as ours is!

Last edited:
Still in

Today I managed to get irritation from an almost toothless razor, my haste is to blame.

Efficiency of OC 84 has spoiled me, I'll continue to use the same razor for the week, hopefully by then I'll find that sweet spot of efficiency/ enjoyment again.

Once you go down the road of more efficient razors, it's hard to settle for well behaved razors.

RazoRock BBS Stainless Steel
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Gillette 7 O'clock Black (4)
Omega 10005
Anherb ASC
Sometimes you're looking to get the same efficiency with a mild razor and the reflex is to add pressure which is natural but it doesnt work and can lead to cuts or irritation. Either use a sharper blade, do an additional pass in a different direction and try to maximize the shaving angle. ( Heard that the BBS has a different angle than most razors.) Sometimes you just cant get the same results with a razor compared to another so in that case just learn to enjoy the best irritation free result you can get from a specific razor and if that result doesnt meet your personal requirements, just drop it. Maybe visit it later when your skills has improved if you still have it. To me I know that even if the FOCS is my daily driver, I will never get the results I get from my DS cosmetic Z0 (R41 clone), sometimes in just 2 pass because it's more efficient. But I'm satisfied with the results I get with the FOCS on a daily basis and wouldnt use the other one daily.

Sometimes you're looking to get the same efficiency with a mild razor and the reflex is to add pressure which is natural but it doesnt work and can lead to cuts or irritation. Either use a sharper blade, do an additional pass in a different direction and try to maximize the shaving angle. ( Heard that the BBS has a different angle than most razors.) Sometimes you just cant get the same results with a razor compared to another so in that case just learn to enjoy the best irritation free result you can get from a specific razor and if that result doesnt meet your personal requirements, just drop it. Maybe visit it later when your skills has improved if you still have it. To me I know that even if the FOCS is my daily driver, I will never get the results I get from my DS cosmetic Z0 (R41 clone), sometimes in just 2 pass because it's more efficient. But I'm satisfied with the results I get with the FOCS on a daily basis and wouldnt use the other one daily.

I started with BBS and got good results, then I switched to Game Changer.

You are correct about both razor having different approach angles and also about the tendency to add pressure to achieve efficiency.

I used this razor after atleast 2 months and I was out of practice, to actually see if it is still able to give me satisfactory results or not, I'll give it a chance.

Yes, I'll have to learn to leave the shave, especially when I have an idea about the level of close shave I'm going to achieve.

Live and Learn I guess.
It's not the tool's shortcomings, as the tool is doing what it's designed to do, it's user error.

Last edited:
SOTD (053/2021)
22-02-2021

20210222_090749-01-01-01.jpeg

Brush: Thäter 4125/2 2-Band Silvertip Badger Imperial Red 26 Fan Rounded
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap
Razor: Gillette Fat Boy
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword China (22)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Pitralon Classic AS.

Shave no.22. Just another effortless bbs in 3 passes.

JAHE-still in!

Still in.

Good BBS without irritation and same set-up as yesterday.

I'm following the same set-up for a week, this is a good way to dial in the method and also to enjoy the soaps as I get to use them for a number of shaves, before switching to another.

Perspective - I calculated that if I follow the same set-up for a week, then it'll take 12 weeks for me to complete a full circle.

Thos excludes the random soaps/ tubes that I don't use anymore, I'll have to PIF them.

This dampens my mood and at the same time, I feel great knowing that I have a great many soaps to look forward to.

IMG_20210222_190506.jpg

SOTD (054/2021)
23-02-2021

20210223_112403-01.jpeg

Brush: Yaqi Mokka Express 26mm 2-band badger
Soap: Tcheon Fung Sing ~ Danidevil Revolution
Razor: Gillette Fat Boy (5)
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword China (23)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Majestät AS.

Shave no. 23 with the chinese made Gillette Wilkinson Sword. - and still in.

Top Bottom