What's new

2018 electrics market share

wow according to statista.com norelco is still smashing the competition..i expected braun & others to be closer...
Screenshot 2020-04-23 at 11.35.06.png

Could be because Philips is considered a trusted brand. Here in the UK is see s to be either Philips or Braun, well around where I am and those are the names I'm aware of.

Depends on who (and when) you ask. Most recent market share research reports are proprietary and fairly expensive (as in $ thousands). That one is two years old, but some additional dated reports:

SmartSelect_20200423-072042_Samsung Internet.jpg

Obviously Philips couldn't occupy the bulk of the market according to this projection, and earlier reports support this finding:

SmartSelect_20200423-072156_Samsung Internet.jpg

But it's a very competitive industry, and I suspect the major players are pretty close today. "Sales" in the original chart could also mean that Philips is selling a lot of less expensive shavers, and Braun is selling more of their high end, but fewer shavers. Takes a good analyst to interpret all the data, and good surveys to collect it. Hence the cost. :001_smile

As an aside, interesting global sales of electric vs non-electric:
SmartSelect_20200423-072615_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
wow according to statista.com norelco is still smashing the competition..i expected braun & others to be closer...View attachment 1090686

Interesting find. Phillips norelco does have a larger line of trimmers, the whole oneblade product line, as well as a ton of different rotary lines so it may have higher numbers to report in general. In addition, Philips norelco has many more placements in big box stores like Walmart and Target (in the US) which really boost sales.

Depends on who (and when) you ask. Most recent market share research reports are proprietary and fairly expensive (as in $ thousands). That one is two years old, but some additional dated reports:

View attachment 1090732

Obviously Philips couldn't occupy the bulk of the market according to this projection, and earlier reports support this finding:

View attachment 1090733

But it's a very competitive industry, and I suspect the major players are pretty close today. "Sales" in the original chart could also mean that Philips is selling a lot of less expensive shavers, and Braun is selling more of their high end, but fewer shavers. Takes a good analyst to interpret all the data, and good surveys to collect it. Hence the cost. :001_smile

View attachment 1090735
Looks like electrics are selling way more than manual razors. Interesting. I would have predicted the opposite considering the cost.

Not necessarily. Those figures are sales in dollars, not number of units.

Correct, hence "statistics." And likely the vast bulk of "non-electric" are disposable carts, not Wolfman. It does mean though, that more money is being spent on electric shavers, by a wide margin, than bladed razors. And that amount is increasing, versus the almost flat, or even decreasing trend in non-electrics.

Last edited:
Correct, hence "statistics." And likely the vast bulk of "non-electric" are disposable carts, not Wolfman. It does mean though, that more money is being spent on electric shavers, by a wide margin, than bladed razors.

I wouldn't be surprised if this also has something to do with your 'average guy' who isn't a shave hobbyist using their $5 cartridge twice a week for 2-3 months before tossing it. Realistically this would allow said 'average guy' to stretch a $20 4pk of carts over a whole year. Not saying it would be a comfortable, irritation free, well groomed year.... But a $20 year none the less lol.

This also doesn't take into account most non-hobbyist shavers at home will use a can of gel every 1-2 months. Not a huge financial addition here but we are talking an extra $10-$30 a year (depending on chosen product, edge on the low end and Gillette fusion pro whatever gel on the high end).

View attachment 1090732

View attachment 1090733

View attachment 1090735

I think that the pie chart of US manufacturers market share is very interesting because it appears that Remington and Phillips Norelco are very close and together make up more than 50% of the market with Braun a close third. This could be explained because Remington shavers are less expensive than either Phillips or Braun.

Top Bottom