What's new

2009 MLB Playoffs

After an epic 163rd game, we are finally here. What a great season this was. We saw a no-hitter, several walk-off wins, and even a perfect game. Unfortunately, we also saw the tragic death of a young pitcher, Nick Adenhart. This has been one interesting season.

Starting tomorrow, Wednesday, October 7, 2009 at 2:37 PM on TBS are the playoffs.

We have:

AL

Minnesota Twins (AL Central, 87-76) at New York Yankees ( AL East, 103-59)

Boston Red Sox (Wild card, 95-67) at Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (AL West, 97-65)

NL

Colorado Rockies (Wild card, 92-70) at Philadelphia Phillies (NL East, 93-69)

St. Louis Cardinals (NL Central, 91-71) at Los Angeles Dodgers (NL West, 95-67)

Make your predictions for the divisional series only and give reasons! Here are mine:

MIN at NYY: I say the Yankees take this in four. They have better pitching and better hitting. The Yankees also have a good record against the Twins, not only this season, but for the past seasons as well. I cannot wait to see Pavano pitch against NYY.

BOS at LAA: I say the Red Sox take this in three (sweep). A lot of people have suggested this may be the end of the Red Sox reign over the Angels, but I doubt it. Lester and Beckett will be going in Boston. Also, Lackey will be going in Boston, and we all know how he has fared there.

COL at PHI: I say the Phillies take this in four. The Phillies have some great pitching in Hamels and Lee. I would say they have the best two pitchers, but Hamels did not have a very good year. I expect Colorado's Cinderella story to end short once again.

STL at LAD: I expect the Cardinals to take this in five. Both of these teams are excellent and have some nasty pitching. I think the Cardinals have the best two starters in the playoffs with Wainwright and Carpenter. The Dodgers also have Billingsley and Garland and a very good closer in Broxton.

The one thing I hate about October is that baseball is just about over.

AL
Yanks and The Los Angeles Angels of Anahiem

NL
Phillies and the Cards

Because that's what I think. Matt's is obviously more in depth.

I'm not going to make any predictions, but I wonder how well the Twins will do in game 1 given their lack of rest.

ALCS = New York Yankees defeat California Los Angeles Angels of Anahaim, California playing in Pacific Standard Time on the West Coast of the United States of America on the Western Hemisphere of the Earth in the Milky Way

NLCS = St. Louis Cardinals defeat Philadelphia Phillies

WS = Yanks beat Cards

I'm not going to make any predictions, but I wonder how well the Twins will do in game 1 given their lack of rest.

Either they'll get swept because their bullpen, including Nathan is used up...or the adrenaline from last night's win will carry over and they'll win a game to avoid a sweep.

:biggrin:

Either way, Miguel Cabrera will be hungover.

all i know is that if the cards face new york in the world series, we're in for a heck of a time

on the other hand, i think we'd be spoiling for the rematch if it's the red sox

we've got great starters - but i worry about our late inning relief

anything can happen in the post-season, but i do expect the cards to make short work of the dodgers, despite home field advantage - we prevailed in both of the late season series against them (in st. louis and l.a.)

and i do think it's likely to be cards/phillies for the nlcs

and probably yanks over red sox in some sort of maddening heart breaker in the alcs

of course, i'd love to see a cards/twins world series this year

:^)

I'd like to see a big surprise in the NL - Colorado Rockies go all the way. Anyone but the Cardinals. Please.

As for the AL I'd like to see the Twins stun them all.

I would like for the Twins and Rockies to face off in the WS with the Rockies blowing them out.

Reality? We'll be blasted non-stop by the cheerleaders at ESPN talking about how great the Yankees and Redsox are until it's all over. In the event they are both out of the World Series, the announcers for the game will spend most of the time bemoaning the fact and talking about what they should've done to get there :lol:

I'd like to see a big surprise in the NL - Colorado Rockies go all the way. Anyone but the Cardinals. Please.

I would like for the Twins and Rockies to face off in the WS with the Rockies blowing them out.

Reality? We'll be blasted non-stop by the cheerleaders at ESPN talking about how great the Yankees and Redsox are until it's all over. In the event they are both out of the World Series, the announcers for the game will spend most of the time bemoaning the fact and talking about what they should've done to get there :lol:

Oh well, Life is never fair.:001_rolle

those of us in the reality based community suspect that a twins/rockies series might be fun - though, yeah - most unlikely

i'll drink a toast in your honor when the cards take their 11th world series

A WS with COL and MIN would get extremely low ratings.

I really would like to see a NLCS with PHI and STL. That would be interesting with the pitching.

those of us in the reality based community suspect that a twins/rockies series might be fun - though, yeah - most unlikely

i'll drink a toast in your honor when the cards take their 11th world series

When will they be doing that?? I know not this year, because the Yankees will be winning number 27. =^ )

Well, CC was dominant tonight and AROD finally did something. I just wish Girardi would not have used Mo.

proxy.php

MATT. KEMP.

A WS with COL and MIN would get extremely low ratings.

I really would like to see a NLCS with PHI and STL. That would be interesting with the pitching.

You have to be joking, the Twins have much more of a following then you give them credit for. They drew quite good ratings during their last two trips to the WS back in 1987 and 1991.

That said I hope the Twinkies get swept after yesterday's game. As much as I hate the Yankees, there will be hell to pay for beating my Tigers. :letterk2:

there will be hell to pay for beating my Tigers. :letterk2:

To be honest, I think the Tigers beat themselves. Porcello pitched a great game and then Miner blew it with the help of Rayburn's "catch". I too wanted the Tigers to win, but then again, I want Pavano to loose to the Yankees.

To be honest, I think the Tigers beat themselves. Porcello pitched a great game and then Miner blew it with the help of Rayburn's "catch". I too wanted the Tigers to win, but then again, I want Pavano to loose to the Yankees.

Well even more to the point both teams should not have been in the position they were in last night, where they even needed to play a tiebreaker game. I'll give credit to the Twins for making one heck of a run down the stretch, but I think Leyland's managerial skills, or lack thereof, is largely to blame. I mean to constantly rest key players, among other things, when your team is in race to win the division is just stupid, in my not so humble opinion. The Tigers front office needs to can him.

Well, CC was dominant tonight and AROD finally did something. I just wish Girardi would not have used Mo.

There's an off day tomorrow, so overusing him wasn't a concern. Plus, if you watch the Yankees as much as I do, you know that Mo pitches best when he pitches often. He does not like lots of rest. So, let him pitch the 9th to keep sharp, and he'll have the day off tomorrow to recover.

Top Bottom