What's new

1st Razor Suggestions: Fendrihan Mk II SS vs RazoRock Mamba vs Game Changer

What is the best razor for DE virgin?

• Total voters
Update: I got both the Mamba (70) and Game Changer (84). Cut my teeth on the Mamba, not super proficient or anything, but I can get an acceptable shave with little to no irritation/weepers.

Thought I'd try the GC as well, so I put a blade with 4-5 shaves in it, and have used it twice. Definitely felt rawer than Mamba, had 1 weeper the first time. So I think i'll return to the Mamba for now.

Anyone have the original Mamba or Game Changer they'd want to part with?

How heavy is your beard? What is your skin like? Do you shave every day or only once or twice a week? Are you wearing a suit and tie to work or do you have a professional need to look conservative and perfectly clean-shaven every day, or is that only a sometime thing? Once you have your technique down, have mapped your face and beard, and answered these questions, you will do a better job of figuring out the right type of razor, and the right model, for you. For now, I agree with you about leaving vintage razors aside, but don't worry about zamak. Start with a Merkur or EJ89, or maybe an inexpensive clone of those or of a Tech, and use it for a couple of months before you try another. It might take a year or more, but at some point you'll see what style works best for you. Then you can try a high-end gleaming steel or titanium version of that style, if you have the cash.

How heavy is your beard? What is your skin like? Do you shave every day or only once or twice a week? Are you wearing a suit and tie to work or do you have a professional need to look conservative and perfectly clean-shaven every day, or is that only a sometime thing? Once you have your technique down, have mapped your face and beard, and answered these questions, you will do a better job of figuring out the right type of razor, and the right model, for you. For now, I agree with you about leaving vintage razors aside, but don't worry about zamak. Start with a Merkur or EJ89, or maybe an inexpensive clone of those or of a Tech, and use it for a couple of months before you try another. It might take a year or more, but at some point you'll see what style works best for you. Then you can try a high-end gleaming steel or titanium version of that style, if you have the cash.

I definitely agree I still need a lot work on my technique, angles, and so forth. Work business casual where clean shaves are expected. I think I have light to medium facial hair.

That advice is a little too late since he already has the Mamba 70 and Gamechanger 84.

My advice is swap the Mamba 70 for a GC 68. You might get easily frustrated by the narrow window of the original Mamba. It can be pretty inefficient otherwise.

That advice is a little too late since he already has the Mamba 70 and Gamechanger 84.

My advice is swap the Mamba 70 for a GC 68. You might get easily frustrated by the narrow window of the original Mamba. It can be pretty inefficient otherwise.

+1! Good advice!

I've been using my .68 GC for the last week after having using the .84 GC, the Mamba, the Progress, the Rockwell 6C, and various other cheaper razors that I won't bother mentioning, and I find the .68 is perfectly fine with 24-48 hour stubble, depending on the blade. The .70 Mamba is much more picky about blades, needs to be a sharper blade, and angle, it has to be right on.

Thanks for the input guys. Seems like Game Changer 68 is pretty hard to come by these days.

Thanks for the input guys. Seems like Game Changer 68 is pretty hard to come by these days.
I guess so, and after my use the last week or so, I doubt I'll sell mine. It's a great razor and I like that it's stainless steel. Won't need another one.

I've been using my .68 GC for the last week after having using the .84 GC, the Mamba, the Progress, the Rockwell 6C, and various other cheaper razors that I won't bother mentioning, and I find the .68 is perfectly fine with 24-48 hour stubble, depending on the blade. The .70 Mamba is much more picky about blades, needs to be a sharper blade, and angle, it has to be right on.

I got to (I think) a pretty good place with the .70 Mamba, and Derby blades. Rarely irritation, and while not the vaunted BBS, I can with a bit effort get reasonably close. (Still learning more about my face though, as every time I am happy with a shave, I later discover a patch here and there that could use more work)

I don't have the Mamba .70, only the original one and the two GCs, so I do not know where it falls in terms of efficiency and aggression. However, IMHO swapping razors frequently as a beginner is not going to help. Since your beard is not that thick and the Mamba seems to give you acceptable results, why not keep using it for now? Let's say a couple of months. Once you get more experience, you can more easily determine the type of razor you prefer. You can always give the GC .84 a try later on.

Except the GC 68 is no longer for sale. And for less than the price of one of those, he could try a RazoRock Teck II, Old Type, Mission and Mentor for a month or two each and get a good idea of the style he likes best using Chinese-made zamak. Then he would have no need for the advice he seeks here, which will never be as good as his own first-hand experience. I'm a big fan of the GC 68, but I have a relatively light and thin beard, and I'm not surprised others think it milder than ideal.

I don't have the Mamba .70, only the original one and the two GCs, so I do not know where it falls in terms of efficiency and aggression. However, IMHO swapping razors frequently as a beginner is not going to help. Since your beard is not that thick and the Mamba seems to give you acceptable results, why not keep using it for now? Let's say a couple of months. Once you get more experience, you can more easily determine the type of razor you prefer. You can always give the GC .84 a try later on.

My plans exactly, it's just that the curiosity bug got ahold of me. By being very careful with the GC, I cut down irritation significantly, but I still think it's counterproductive to learn on multiple razors.

In your experience (speaking to everyone here), which affects the shave more: the razor or the blade?

Knocks about the .68 being mild doomed it as I mentioned previously. Funny how it is in demand now that people realize how great it was. Very similar to my pre-war Tech but a little more efficient. I have both baseplates but just prefer the .68. I don’t think the .84 is too aggressive for me but I think the .68 works out better for more daily shavers out there.

If I were to mass produce just one DE razor, it would be just like the .68. Meets the needs of most people. Shame it’s gone.

If I were to mass produce just one DE razor, it would be just like the .68. Meets the needs of most people. Shame it’s gone.
I'm currently using a 7 O'Clock green SS blade in mine which is smooth and efficient for me. WTG/XTG 2 pass shave is a DFS.

My plans exactly, it's just that the curiosity bug got ahold of me. By being very careful with the GC, I cut down irritation significantly, but I still think it's counterproductive to learn on multiple razors.

In your experience (speaking to everyone here), which affects the shave more: the razor or the blade?
The razor far more than the blade for me, unless the blade is a Feather (which seems to be significantly sharper than others, at least for the first 2 or 3 shaves) or a KAI, which is wider. I could only detect slight differences at best in most other blades I've tried.

I used the Game Changer .84 as my first ever DE razor, transitioning from carts. The large blade gap allows for a larger range of cutting angles, which meant it was more forgiving with my beginner technique. For me, efficiency is the most important thing, especially when I was used to the efficiency of carts.

No regrets at all on my end, it's a great razor and fantastic value for money at $55 for an all-stainless razor

AFAIK the 68 Game Changer's not gone, it’s just out of stock. There are separate product pages for the 68 and the 84.

I love my 68 Game Changer, it’s a keeper.

AFAIK the 68 Game Changer's not gone, it’s just out of stock. There are separate product pages for the 68 and the 84.

I love my 68 Game Changer, it’s a keeper.

I disagree, the page is there but every comment from rr is that it will no longer be produced.

Top Bottom