What's new

1st Razor Suggestions: Fendrihan Mk II SS vs RazoRock Mamba vs Game Changer

What is the best razor for DE virgin?

• Total voters
I have no experience with double edged safety razors. Been mostly using Gillette cartridges. I do have about 1 month worth of lathering experience FWIW. I'm asking for 1st razor suggestions from you knowledgeable gentlemen here.

There are a few things I want for my 1st DE razor:
  • No pot metal, Zamak, or any other inferior materials anywhere; just solid metal fit for the job
  • Preferably nothing plated; personally not a fan of anything plated
  • No vintage: I have read how solidly built the old Gillettes were, but I like worry about learning how to DE shave without going down the rabbit hole of model history, looking for cracks, learning how to clean used razors etc., FOR NOW
  • A price range not much higher than $50-60 USD
Based on these criteria I set up, I came up with these models in my own research:
So my questions are
  1. Can you add more razors to the list that fit my criteria?
  2. Which one(s) do you recommend for absolute DE beginner?
My reading is that the Fendrihan Mk II is recommended for beginners, many people say RR Mamba is both "gentle", Game Changer 84 is more "aggressive". I welcome feedback on any one razor, and also comparison of the razors among themselves.

Razor for shaving chin and above lips, want a clean shave for the office, nothing fancy folks!

TL;DR SECTION
------------------
My wet-shaving "background":
  • Use Gillette cartridges until now
  • Just started "proper" lathering with boar brush and Proraso
  • Now wants to start learning DE razor
Even though it will be my first razor, I would like for it to last and be well-made, so I pretend like it will be the only DE razor I'll have. (Realistically maybe I'll add one or two more, no intentions to be a collector; point being that I want each razor I own to be "high quality")

I've been furiously reading up on BB threads and wikis about buying suggestions and what to look for in a first razor, and I'll be watching plenty of Youtube videos. Obviously right now many terms mean little to me because I have no-hands on experience

I've only used the Karve out of the ones you listed, and it's awesome!
However, something else to keep in mind, if the Karve doesn't work for you, you could either trade with someone for a different plate or buy another plate by itself. . If you don't like any of the other razors, you'll have to buy an entire new razor. Another option is to get a Rockwell 6S. It comes with all the base plates, and it's %15off at Maggards until Feb 18th (coupon code ROCK15). It's a little over your budget, but it might save you money in the long term by eliminating the guesswork. Not to mention that it's an amazing shaver as well!

I have shaved with the game changer, Fendrihan and the Karve of those 3 I'd recommend the Karve and get multiple plates...yes it's more expensive but you're pretty much guaranteed to make it work for you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The closest to anything in the list that I've used is a Fendrihan with the Mk I head. The handle is the grippiest of any that I've used. It's like a large-diameter rat-tail file. :thumbsup:
I have no reason to believe that the ones that come with the Mk II heads are any different.

Personally I think the Karve, Rockwell, and similar "adjustable" razors give too many choices than a beginner knows to do with. What I thought going into this is to pick a generally accepted fixed razor, honing my skills with that, and move on from that point. Of course I could expand my horizons a bit and consider the Rockwell 6S and so forth, but right now I have no idea which setting/plate I would pick.

I have the Fatip Gentile & the Fendrihan MkII - both are good razors & very reasonably priced (better than any of the other listed options).
What I thought going into this is to pick a generally accepted fixed razor, honing my skills with that, and move on from that point
- I'd agree with that perspective - pick a razor & work on your technique (then experiment a little to find the blades you prefer). Also, I'd caution against initially chasing after a BBS - wait until you're happy with your technique & skills.

If you get a Fatip it'll probably have to be the piccolo special edition or testina gentile. The piccolo special edition includes two head, the milder gentile head and the aggressive OC head. Of your list it is the best bang for buck.

The Game Changer .84 would make a fine razor to both start and finish with.

The Karve, 6S, or another adjustable would be ideal later, after you’ve put some shaves under your belt and have the budget for it.

I have the GC .63, .84 and the Fendrihan Mark II. I love all 3 razors. You can’t go wrong anywhere.

I will say that the Mark II is more aggressive than both GCs and will bite you if not careful. The Fendihan is one of 2 razors I own, the other being the Timeless Bronze SB, that will give me almost a BBS shave after the first pass. Just a little cleanup, that’s it. That is with a Kai blade.

The GCs are excellent choices and some prefer the overall looks of the GC to the Fendrihan. The Mark II has a classic dimpled baseplate, I think if memory serves, it is sintered stainless. The GCs are CNC. The Fendrihan has a polished top cap, but the GCs have a duller finish. If you got a GC, some Flitz (Gray tube), a microfiber cloth and about a half hour, you will achieve a mirror like shine so not a big deal there.

As mentioned above, the Mark II handles are simply wonderful.

Between the RazoRock Mambo 70 and GameChanger 84, which do you think is better for someone who's never used a safety razor before?

The Game Changer .68 would equally be a good choice - just not sure how available they are.

I have both versions and think they’re great razors.

I also second the idea of a Rockwell.

And a Karve is the next razor I’ll buy. And hopefully my last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Game Changer. Not materially more expensive than the MK-II, and superior build quality. I like them both, but I also think the Game Changer provides a smoother and more efficient shave, one that rivals the “premium” razors. Can’t speak to the Karve since I don’t own one, but even after all the reviews I wouldn’t know what plate to buy and in any event is more than what a beginner may be willing to spend. The Rockwell on the other hand and even more expensive requires you to buy all plates providing six levels of aggressivess, only one or two of which I ultimately use (the first two I find unusable, the next two are not not my preference and the final two are almost indistinguishable).

I tried the first iteration of the Mamba. It distinguished itself as the only razor I have ever sold, and would have been too frustrating as a first razor. I had no interest in trying the .7.

I have used the Karve and the GC84, both are really good razors but my daily driver is the reliable Gillette slim.

To me the GC84 can be a bit aggressive and requires some smoother blade choices if you want it to not to bite.
The Karve is an excellent razor but the number of options could be a bit overwhelming to beginners.
Fatips have a reputation for having some alignment issues, it seems things are better now but I don't own one and can't comment. I am looking to get a Gentile though lol!

My 2 cents from when I first started DE shaving in Dec 2018.
1. I didn't know what I liked or didn't like until I tried it.
2. Focus on technique not the gear. A razor didn't help me shave better it just made it more enjoyable or less so.
3. Don't worry about zamak or plated or whatever, if all you want is a decent shave pretty much any de razor will do that. I'm getting great shaves from everyone of my razors from a Futur to a New SC to a GC84. They all will shave well once you get your technique right.

I keep going back to my Slim because it's basically idiot proof lol. I can shave in the dark while showering and get a BBS every time.

Look around the buy, sell section for a Slim and message the seller to have it cleaned for you if possible.

Cheers.

Get the game changer. What you see is what you get. No mystery in how it shaves. It’s exactly what you need.

The mambas are both mysterious in their performance delivery. Twould be likely to frustrate a new de user.

The mambas are both mysterious in their performance delivery. Twould be likely to frustrate a new de user.

I agree with this. Very, very, very narrow shaving angle. Unlike the name though, get the angle wrong it won't bite. Just won't shave or shave efficiently. Get the angle spot on, it's both smooth and efficient. It gives almost no audible feedback. Also needs a sharp blade, a Derby Extra for example wouldn't be a nice experience.

All right, the people have spoken! GC better than Mamba for beginner.

Between the 68 and 84 Game Changer versions, is one much better for learning to DE shave? I know the 68 is not sold anymore, but I could patiently watch the buy-sell board.

All right, the people have spoken! GC better than Mamba for beginner.

Between the 68 and 84 Game Changer versions, is one much better for learning to DE shave? I know the 68 is not sold anymore, but I could patiently watch the buy-sell board.

I doubt you’ll go wrong with either. May as well give the .84 a spin!

Thanks to everyone's suggestions and helpful advice. I just purchased the Game Changer .84, along with Astra SP and Derby Extra blades. Are these enough to get me started? Any other blades work well with GC 84?

Thanks to everyone's suggestions and helpful advice. I just purchased the Game Changer .84, along with Astra SP and Derby Extra blades. Are these enough to get me started? Any other blades work well with GC 84?
The 7 o'clock greens from Russia are excellent for this razor IMO.

Top Bottom