What's new

1972 Gillette Prison/Psycho Tech

Here's mine

That's a good looking razor! :thumbsup:

ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS! Congratulations!

Thanks!

I'm not a collector, I buy razors to shave, so this is one I'll have to see from afar. Very cool you got one complete with key. :thumbup1:

Yeah...I make sure that I shave with all mine. But this one will be used in limited fashion.

Nice Pickup Don! I received a Psycho for Christmas last year, but it has an after market key. I'd love to find one with an original key!

Evidently, they are still out there. Thanks KJ!

Now, if I can come across an unopened box of the ten razors, that would like getting the complete set and unopened 1975 Tops baseball cards.

Here are three that I've managed to accumulate along with the makeshift key I made after seeing it done in Robert Waits book. The pair with Gillette logo heads are dated 1969 the plain head is from 1960. I havent got around to cleaning them yet as I doubt I'll ever use them.
I was told by a retired ASR employee that the 1966 super speed in the photo was used in prisons as part of a blade trial. It has a threaded hole in the handle to accommodate a set screw so the blade couldn't be removed. I don't have any documentation to back this up so it could be inaccurate.
IMG_1070.JPG
IMG_1071.JPG

Here are three that I've managed to accumulate along with the makeshift key I made after seeing it done in Robert Waits book. The pair with Gillette logo heads are dated 1969 the plain head is from 1960. I havent got around to cleaning them yet as I doubt I'll ever use them.
I was told by a retired ASR employee that the 1966 super speed in the photo was used in prisons as part of a blade trial. It has a threaded hole in the handle to accommodate a set screw so the blade couldn't be removed. I don't have any documentation to back this up so it could be inaccurate. View attachment 822329View attachment 822330
Wow... interesting collection! The Super Speed has a great story. I wonder if they considered using modified Super Speeds as a replacement for the Psycho Techs?

Regarding the plain head Tech. The beveled head (zamak) Tech appeared in 1964 (J1 is the earliest I've seen). If that truly is a 1960 razor, it means that the beveled head first made its appearance on the Psycho razor years before the Tech. Just curious, what is the date code on it?

Wow... interesting collection! The Super Speed has a great story. I wonder if they considered using modified Super Speeds as a replacement for the Psycho Techs?

Regarding the plain head Tech. The beveled head (zamak) Tech appeared in 1964 (J1 is the earliest I've seen). If that truly is a 1960 razor, it means that the beveled head first made its appearance on the Psycho razor years before the Tech. Just curious, what is the date code on it?
My bad it's a 1973 T4 date code some old bit of convect gunk made it look like an F. The other two are diffenitly O1 and O4 date codes.
As far as this Super Speed goes I doubt it was intended as a replacement for the institutional locking razor but it could be. My guess would be that it was to gauge a blades performance in the ever popular SS. I'll have to try to get in touch with the man who told me about it and see if he remembers any more details.

My bad it's a 1973 T4 date code some old bit of convect gunk made it look like an F. The other two are diffenitly O1 and O4 date codes.
As far as this Super Speed goes I doubt it was intended as a replacement for the institutional locking razor but it could be. My guess would be that it was to gauge a blades performance in the ever popular SS. I'll have to try to get in touch with the man who told me about it and see if he remembers any more details.
OK, the T4 makes more sense.:001_smile

I wonder why there are so many missing keys? I can't imagine even a novice tossing the key.

Well, maybe I can. There are all kinds of novices out there, God love 'em.

I wonder why there are so many missing keys? I can't imagine even a novice tossing the key.

Well, maybe I can. There are all kinds of novices out there, God love 'em.
A box was 10-12 razors, with one key. Razors were prepped, then handed out to inmates/ patients. Guard/Nurse kept the key. So there was only one key made, or included for every 10-12 razors.

Brother Hey,

Ah, of course. That explains a lot. Thanx for reminding me of the obvious. Too many keys floating around would compromise security. Excellent observation!

Just had to post my excitement as I have a acquired a razor that I have been interested in for a while now. The other day I was able to acquire a 1972 (S3) Gillette Prison/Psycho Tech that I believe is new old stock (if not it certainly has never been used or only once or twice). But the best part of it is...the key came with it! Here are some pics...you might want to cover the keyboard on your computer to protect it from the drool. :drool:

View attachment 821590 View attachment 821591 View attachment 821592

BOOM! - RAD here. So envious, really want one of these. Congrats on a superb score :001_tt2:

Top Bottom