What's new

1940s Super Speed compared to regular Flare Tip?

Yeah. I would recommend a Superspeed or maybe a Tech for beginner wetshavers.

I have no idea why i even started with those Zamak razors.

Having used a late 40s Superspeed for around a week, I noticed that it seems to be more forgiving than a regular Flare Tip.

The biggest difference seems to be the head. I can get it under my nose a little better.

Shave the man; That indeed makes sense, as the head is noticeably larger. Although you are comparing the shave to that of a 1960 Flare Tip- a 1954 would perhaps yield a more favorable comparison, as it has a similar sized head which I too find more maneuverable. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

A 1960 Flare tip has the different head? So did the Superspeed heads change by 1960?

I guess that's why people recommend only the Superspeeds from the 40s or 50s. The later one with the resin handles don't seem appealing.

They did indeed Shave the man! Note the taller blade silo door profile on the 1955 Flare Tip Super Speed on the right, in comparison to the earlier 1954 version. To be honest- the latest Flare Tip that I have shaved with was one from 1958, so I cannot speak beyond that. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Gillette 1954 and 1955 Head Differences Flare Tips Close View.JPG

I didn't realize there was a change between 54 and 55. There was a much more noticeable change sometime in the mid 60s, head really flattened out, and another change in the late 70s. Personally I don't find much difference in shave quality, but I don't chase BBS. Any Super Speed gets me a good enough shave with very little effort. Even my 79 is a wonderful shaver.

Troy; I agree- not too big of a change; for they (Gillette) had thrown their design dice in the 1954 Flare Tip corner, and it would prove profitable as the razor continued into their moderate beard user niche. I find the 1955 to have the perception of being slightly more aggressive, but I do find the 1954 more easily controlled for the close confines of my under-nose. Again- you are the expert as to those later years. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

A lot of the guys who notice the subtle changes seem to say it works better under the nose or on the chin. I haven't shaved those areas in 20 years. I just shave the easy parts. :thumbsup:

When did the SS heads change in geometry?

I know they have the unnotched Superspeed, the 48-early version, and then Flare Tips throughout the 50s-60s

Shave the Man; As Rabidus has said- the early Super Speeds from 1948-1950 are the same. In 1954 was the introduction of the Flare Tip; in 1955 the Red Tip; Blue Tip; and Flare Tip were designed for particular beard types, with the Red Tip being the more aggressive of the three. I do not have any experience with the Flare Tips past 1958 and the TV Special. God Bless and Happy Easter! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Gillette 1955 Color Advertisement for Three Super Speed Versions.jpg

Top Bottom