What's new

1909 Script Logo Model #460B

My latest acquisition, was the result of finding this 1909 Single Ring razor in a Model 460B case with a Script Logo. The razor is serial number A899421. 1909 was the first year that the metal cased razors were produced. The case has the ABC style hinge type clasp, the Gillette script logo on the inside lid, and the Diamond and Arrow on the case bottom, above the patent dates.

This makes me wonder if Gillette furnished parts other than razor heads to the American Button Company for their contract, or if, possibly, the A.B.C. produced other parts to Gillette, as this small size hinge type clasp disappeared from the #460B and #460C case production about the same time as it did from the A.B.C. cases....

I would appreciate any feed back about this.

Cheers,
Kevin 1-A.jpg 2-B.jpg 3-C.jpg 4-D.jpg

The above line should read: .....if Gillette furnished parts other than razor heads and blade boxes......

R

romsitsa

Very nice set Buick. Not a real answer to your question, but it looks like this latch lasted one or two years (1908-09) and the hinge design also changed in this time frame from consisting of three tubes to four tubes on all metal cases.

Based on ABC sets, my opinion is that this latch was a miserable design. When the case becomes slightly warped (from dropping for eg.) or the hole on the latch worns out, it won't hold the case closed, will pop open all the time.

So I think after the first run of these boxes (both ABC pockets and 460) they redesigned it.

Wonder if your case has the in peg inside the box to secure the razors knob?
Also wonder, was this peg deleted together with this kind of latch and hinge, or at another date?

Adam

Thank you, one and all
Razor585-GilletteSingleRing-1909-Ex_13.jpg

Adam~ The pictures are from the seller, however i will post more as soon as I take them. In answer to your question, yes, this is the peg. Do you know what year it was discontinued? Thank you,
Kevin

R

romsitsa

I'm just guessing Kevin, as I saw maybe three sets similar to yours and an advert, and my guess would be the peg was used in 1909 or 1909-10 to use up surplus boxes from the first series.

Adam

Latches and hinges were made by outside companies and installed by Gillette or The Gillette Sales Co, or possibly made by Gillette and sent or sold to other companies (but it would require less capital investment to buy inexpensive items like that, so that's less likely) I've got small metal boxes with identical metal clasps to the abc boxes and older wooden boxes with slide clasps identical to the DR and early 1906 SR boxes. I've even got a sewing scissor box that, compared to a double ring box; has the same slide latch, hinges, velvet, leather and even a slant ribbon with the name of the company printed on it. I thought it might have been produced by The Gillette Sales Co until I found a magazine ad for the exact set from 1896.

It is possible that Gillette had ABC produce their first 460 cases, or that Gillette sent them the hardware for them.

Seeing both the script logo and diamond logo on the same box is rather neat.

I received one of these script/diamond & arrow cases today. It will become the new home for my 1909 single ring. Now, time to get some blade cases.

123.jpg
134.jpg
135.jpg
136.jpg

Top Bottom