What's new

1946-47 Gillette Techmatic prototype

5E5AAEBA-196C-4293-900B-145D296A2EF2.jpeg

Almost no information exists online on the history and design of this model. Therefore, my aim with this thread is to document more detail for any interested Gillette enthusiasts outthere.

PART 1:

As the Gillette company emerged from the shadows of WW II their ingenuity had not slowed down. Already in February 1945 a patent was filed for this adjustable razor with an advanced and intricate blade feeder system.

But sadly, as far as we know, the model never made it to the market.

A failed design?
Searching for history on this model the only thing I was able to find was a hypothesis that only a few sets were built for Gillette executives to test before decision would be made to mass produce and market - and that the model then was abandoned prematurely.

If this hypothesis holds true, I am thinking that this could have been because the razor was overengineered or because the reusable blade loading system was too complicated/expensive. Or maybe it was simply because another Gillette invention team came up with a much smarter idea: The ingenious disposable blade dispensers which started to come out in the late 1940s with most Gillette model sets.

With the much simpler disposable blade loader solution Gillette was able for the next decades to continue with standard TTO razors. But with the collateral side effect that the few produced Techmatic razors, beautiful as they were, were relegated to the executive drawers of Gillette memorable failures.

Razor shown with the blade loader/injector accessories, very detailed, heavy and complex constructions.
82795A50-A663-4180-B33A-B37E47DB4CDB.jpeg

The prototype?
Only 4 specimens of this early Techmatic are confirmed in existence today. Of these four razors 2 are documented as part of full sets (of which one is pictured in mr-razor in its fantastic bright blue case), whereas the 2 other razors have no case. One of these sits with a famous collector in the UK and then there is this 4th one.

And to sum all up, in addition to these four razors only a couple of loose injectors/blade loaders are known to exist.

The UK owned immaculate full set as shown in mr-razor - bought by a lucky guy for 60 GBP!
7403A40E-B3E1-4B4E-B25E-FA1599C59AA4.jpeg

What makes this particular 4th specimen extra interesting is that it holds discernible differences from the one shown in mr-razor. And I found a photo below which seems to indicate that this 4th specimen could actually be the prototype shown in the photo. It has no Gillette markings or diamond logo on the baseplate, and it lacks the ‘1’ and ‘2’ on the top cap which the razor in mr-razor has. And a third difference to the below blue case set is that the knob has thinner side edges.. Wow.

Only 4 specimens known - including the prototype...?
3937C1C4-94C9-43BB-AF6E-1E4335E0A442.jpeg

The visual design
This razor is a gorgeous thing to hold. I love the visual design, the tactile grip/knurling is perfect and the industrial masculine design of the whole razor seems to have inspired the Fatboys and Slims that were to come more than a decade later.

I believe it is rhodium plated, but the rhodium has a fabulous silver-like shine to it, more yellowish than my other rhodium Gillettes. Stunning. Weighing in at 82 grams it feels truly solid and it is very well balanced.

795B0279-197C-46BA-AE09-353D8BBB17F6.jpeg
9196157A-4C6A-47C7-A255-8131C2F78455.jpeg
BF5553EE-9679-4604-8DD6-AD09305F10EB.jpeg
8E84BE4D-AFB4-43E7-A345-3FBDBAEEE58B.jpeg

In the last photo notice the thinner edges of the knob - if compared to the full blue cased set shown above. The plot thickens...

Last edited:
PART 2:

The mechanics

Sadly, I am no engineer and not either an English speaking native so I will refrain from trying to explain the mechanics. Suffice to say, as you can see in the video, that the razor is a 1-piece construction and that turning the handle knob expands the blade gap and ultimately makes it possible to load the blade. Interestingly it has some kind of perfectly working spring inside the handle which releases the topcap to its full extension.

Demonstrating the adjustability and how to open the razor

Loaded with blade
6FBE2245-7DCD-40AE-A371-89AFBB8B32C1.jpegF5788DD1-97E5-41A9-AA82-E5F0488AAADF.jpegE5B59B0E-C787-45DC-89B8-FCC79EB28853.jpeg

I hand-fed a Feather blade into the razor which was quite easy, scooting the blade in from the side. Once inserted the razor tightens up easily and the blade sits firmly in place. A clever detail is the small protruding tap/screw which (as the topcap is tightened) inserts itself through the blade hole to lock it in place. Thus, even when the adjustability is opened the blade still sits tight, thanks also to two big blade springs under the topcap, seen clearly in the video.

The shave
CC79FE26-F7AD-46A1-B505-511B4BFADBF1.jpeg

This Techmatic gave me a perfect, problem-free mild shave. All tightened up the razor shaves like ... well, a Tech. No, correction: More like a Hybrid Tech, the rhodium makes for the perfect smooth glide over the skin and the bulkier/heavier head creates a Hybrid Tech overall feel. When opened up the shave of course gets more efficient with more blade feel, but it maintains its balance and smoothness.

I would say the main problem in regular use would be that the razor is very hard to clean - which probably further added to the razor never making it to commercialization. Also, getting the blade out took some wiggling as the blade spring really holds the blade tight.

Thus this razor will not see regular use with me, I would be afraid to twist the blade springs or something. Or wear it out, haha. But maybe for that annual birthday shave it could be an extraordinary luxury.

No matter what this razor is a magnificent and unique piece of Gillette history.

Last edited:
Your collection continues to amaze Peter. Congrats on scoring a piece of history. The Ever Ready 200 is nice too!

Thanks Thomas! - And you are right, that green Ever-Ready is a worthy partner. It is one of my favorite brushes, thanks for sending it forward to me!

So you're the one who bought it from the bay? That's a really nice razor for both shaving and as a collection piece. It might not be the best shaver, but it sure is one of the top 3 rarest razors of all time.

R

romsitsa

Thanks Adam! - I wil try to make a better video tomorrow showing the head movements.

Thank you :) Judging by the mechanism it uses a different method to adjust, than other Gillettes. If the blade is pressed to the base plate by the springs then only the cap moves and dialing it up (cap further from blade) would mean the razor becomes less effective? Like putting shims on the top of the blade.

Very very awesome write-up. Hadn’t heard of it before. I’d love if I stumbled onto something unique in the wild lol. Another razor to salivate over [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! - In the meantime I found out that Matt Picarsik from Razor Emporium owns a 5th and slightly different one. That one indeed looks more like a prototype and further seems to be dated August 1945. That one alledgedly came out of Toronto, Canada. The plot thickens!

C67F90EA-81D8-4EE0-985C-1983DB98C836.jpeg
DB04D50E-8797-4763-AE90-05FEA138812D.jpeg
BF28E91D-E055-4B8E-ADEC-16AA7C943691.jpeg
2F2515AE-5B77-4C67-BCF8-73D7FD03AB2A.jpeg

Wanted to tie a knot in this thread to make it as complete as possible - because Matt Pisarcik uncovered some fascinating new back story on the wonderful 1947 Techmatic prototype:

Matt thus went to the Gillette archives and found out that the Techmatic was actually only sold in one test market: Akron, Ohio. And apparently that didn’t go very well because the model was ditched shortly after. Maybe the lack of interest had to do with the purchase price: 10 USD(!), a significant amount of money in 1947.

Enjoy the following background documentation!

Superb work, Matt, thanks!

42FF00AD-6087-42FA-8F9E-900C281EDCA4.jpeg
B0BADDFF-B32D-4BAA-8F80-258B87D9856E.jpeg
9B859502-E033-4EDC-9026-7AB9A301D455.jpeg
8985C52D-1FD7-4405-A328-FA97EF167143.jpeg
A31961C3-EC60-4621-A7CD-4CEC155532A5.jpeg

Top Bottom