What's new

100 shaves in

My razors were all shave ready. I basically strop them. When I get the feeling they aren’t doing the job, or I’m wondering if they could do better, I take them to my Naniwa 12K for 12 to 20 laps.

I don’t want to over-sharpen them, and I’m looking for the sweet spot. When I know what that is, I will probably move to film. I have it in my head that film would make it too easy to over-sharpen and I need to know when to quit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I think I could get by with less, but I am somewhat anal about schedules. Plus I want to keep honing somewhat regularly for practice, not everyday but at least once a week.

Before I started on the Naniwa 12k, I was doing once a week on 1 um film. There I was doing 50 laps or so. Never had any issues - the edges seemed pretty similar to the 12k / 10 x strokes. Of course this particular piece of film was used maybe 5 or 10x before I started finishing on it, so that is another variable to consider regarding film (it wears out). My impression is actually that the Naniwa is more aggressive. After 20 x strokes I could see the 12k stone darken. I don't recall generating visible swarf on the 1 um film. But possibly I missed it. The Nani 12k stone is white whereas the 1 um film that I have is light green.

Interesting. I think I could get by with less, but I am somewhat anal about schedules. Plus I want to keep honing somewhat regularly for practice, not everyday but at least once a week.

Before I started on the Naniwa 12k, I was doing once a week on 1 um film. There I was doing 50 laps or so. Never had any issues - the edges seemed pretty similar to the 12k / 10 x strokes. Of course this particular piece of film was used maybe 5 or 10x before I started finishing on it, so that is another variable to consider regarding film (it wears out). My impression is actually that the Naniwa is more aggressive. After 20 x strokes I could see the 12k stone darken. I don't recall generating visible swarf on the 1 um film. But possibly I missed it. The Nani 12k stone is white whereas the 1 um film that I have is light green.

I haven’t used my film yet and probably should. The way folks talk, I was thinking film was fast.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I haven’t used my film yet and probably should. The way folks talk, I was thinking film was fast.

Seems that 12k is 12k and should hone at the same rate. Of course, if the film is worn, it will be slower. It believe the lower grit film wears faster than the higher. It is quite obvious when setting bevels with 30u (600 grit). I especially like that film never has to be lapped and is precise. I’ll never go back to stones.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Is that right? Did you just prefer the edge you got with film?
No the edge is about the same. Both are synthetic and should give the same results but film has advantages:

Never have to lap
Store your kit in envelopes
Inexpensive
Easier to learn and to use - fewer variables
Easy to go from one grit to the next - just slap a new piece of film an your acrylic
Clean! Don’t get mud all over the place
Consistency
I just can’t think of a downside. Oh wait - no MOJO.

Seems that 12k is 12k and should hone at the same rate. Of course, if the film is worn, it will be slower. It believe the lower grit film wears faster than the higher. It is quite obvious when setting bevels with 30u (600 grit). I especially like that film never has to be lapped and is precise. I’ll never go back to stones.

I don’t know that there isn’t a difference. When I brush my fingers over my Naniwa 12K it feels like glass. When I look at my 1μ 14K film it looks and feels rougher. Might be psychological.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
proxy.php

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I don’t know that there isn’t a difference. When I brush my fingers over my Naniwa 12K it feels like glass. When I look at my 1μ 14K film it looks and feels rougher. Might be psychological.

Yeah Scott, you have psychological problems. Just kidding. I'll have to check that out tomorrow. You are feeling the light green film and not the dark green aren't you? I can feel the dark green (30u) but the 1u not really.

Yeah Scott, you have psychological problems. Just kidding. I'll have to check that out tomorrow. You are feeling the light green film and not the dark green aren't you? I can feel the dark green (30u) but the 1u not really.

It’s the light green and it’s 14K. I admit the visual might be misleading.

Top Bottom