What's new

Yardley English Lavender Bar Soap - American Version

Item Description

Aside from Ivy Club Spice, Barbasol Pacific Rush and Skin Bracer aftershaves, this may be the next best reason to check out your local dollar store.

Price - Easy 10. I get this stuff for a dollar a bar and have never seen it higher than $1.25 for a 4.25oz bar.

Quality - A+. It is atleast as good as some soaps I've tried that were 5-8x the price. Very, very solid product.

Latherability - No issues here; tons of tallowy awesomesauce. You can use very little product to do the job, but I'm a latherhog and end up using about 3x what I really need to.

Moisturizing - My skin doesn't really need any extra moisturization, but this soaps does a tremendous job in that department. Absolutely no drying or harshness; leaves my skin soft and supple.

Scent - OK, here's the deal -- I think it's been reformulated in the past few years. I remember when I first picked it up, the scent was a very soft, very pleasant lavender coupled with the soapy scent. Now, the scent is much stronger and much soapier. It smells very strong right out of the package, but that's not really a bad thing; still very pleasant.

Efficacy - A real hum-dinger. Again, just as good if not better than much more expensive bath soaps. Cleans thoroughly using little product, yet doesn't strip your body of it's natural oils. Leaves your skin feeling awesome with a very faint lingering scent. A bar usually lasts me around three weeks, but that's not bad considering I use a good bit of soap and sometimes shower twice a day.

Packaging - Cardboard box FTW!!! Whatever, it's soap, not a high-end cologne. I can't knock it down any points considering how inexpensive the product is.

I used to buy TONS of soap; mostly expensive, top-shelf brands. However, the American version of Yardley English Lavender is a reliable stand-by and easily accessible. ALL of the American Yardley London (LOL) soaps are terrific and come in great scents.

Latest reviews

I stumbled over Yardleys over a year ago at Big Lots for 70 cents a bar. Tryed the EL first and started branching out. All the scents are great and leaves you feeling clean and smooth. No more Dry skin issues for me.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
I recently picked up a bar of Yardley's EL, and I have to say, it's quite nice. The price is right for under $2. It's a beautiful, curved oval bar and it's 4.25 ounces, fairly dense and hefty, good quality, so it's a great value.

Lather-wise, I'd say it's good, but not the greatest . . . I use a plastic loofah in the shower and it collects lather fairly well, but this soap kind of scrapes on it - that's not really an indictment of the soap, as much as it's a possible neg on the plastic loofah. But having also used this as a hand soap, I do notice that it sort of scrapes off between your fingers as much as it lathers.

I have noticed that this doesn't leave my skin dry . . . pretty good for cheap soap!

The scent is a tad artificial, generic Lavender, although it works beautifully with Aqua Velva Ice Blue & Cool Water (which boasts its own synthetic lavender). One truly amazing thing about this soap is that after 12 hours, I can still get an impression of it off my body, a very clean afterglow, and to me that's more than I can ask of any soap. How Yardley does this is beyond me, because when I'm using it, I'm not really bowled over by the smell. But they've managed to infuse a little complexity into this soap's fragrance, and it's pretty good all around.

Needless to say, it really does get you clean, so its efficacy is not an issue.

The packaging sucks. Just a cardboard box, with nothing keeping prying hands from just pulling it open. But heck, it's soap, right? It self-cleans. So for the money, what can I expect.

I agree with the reviewer and say this is a good buy.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
This really is a good reason to stop at your local Dollar General. $1 per bar is a pretty decent deal for a soap of this quality.

I use a washcloth with this soap, and after a week of use and showering twice per day my bar is about half gone. This soap lathers easily with the cloth, but the lather isn't really anything to rave about imo. There is definitely enough lather to get the job done though.

As mentioned, I shower twice daily and my skin has not felt dry at all as a result. I believe that Yardley Lavender is a very good moisturizing soap.

The scent of this soap is very pleasant. It is a bit strong right out of the box, but it is not overpowering when you use it. The scent lingers just enough to give you a hint of lavender for an hour or so after showering. I am not a fan of strongly scented soaps so this is a big plus for me.

Efficacy - I work in a machine shop. I'm exposed to oils all day. This soap gets me clean and smelling good, so in my book that earns it a 10.

The packaging of this soap is nothing special. It is pretty standard. A bar of soap in a cardboard box. The packaging doesn't matter that much to me in a case like this.

Overall, for $1 you can't go too wrong with Yardley Lavender.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)