What's new

Van Der Hagen Badger Brush

Item Description

Van Der Hagen has made a nice brush here. The solid black, acrylic handle is well designed, and makes for a nice tool to hold onto. There is no seam in the handle (I assume it's been lathe-turned) and it sports a high gloss shine complete with their new windmill logo. Also, at the base of the knot, VDH has added a metal ring surrounding the base of the hairs... a nice touch.

The badger hair is of good quality, and in my opinion is somewhere between a 'Pure' and a 'Best', if there is such a thing. It generated lather from the VDH Luxury Scented Soap in no time, and held onto the lather quite well. After 12 test lathers now, it has only shed one hair. The badger hair felt soft against my face, and coated my beard well, with just the right amount of stiffness with no uncomfortableness. At first I thought it felt a bit droopy, but wasn't so when making and applying the lather.

The cost is quite reasonable for this nice of a brush (about $25.00). It's refreshing to see Van Der Hagen upscale their line, and this brush (along with the new Luxury soaps, razor and brush stand, and the apothecary shave mug) is just the ticket to get them into the running with higher-end products.

Latest reviews

Pros: Inexpensive
Cons: Bad initial smell, terrible quality
This was the first badger brush I owned. First impressions are not great as the "badger funk" was strong with this one. Even after the typical treatment with washing and shampooing, it still smelled for several uses afterwards. Something that concerned me at first but didn't after a while was how much it shed. The first dozen or so times I used it at least five to eight hairs would fall out. After the smell had finally subsided the knot separated from the handle! *** brush, and one I would not waste money on.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
1.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Soft, lathers easily, cost
Cons: None that I know of
This was my first badger brush and I bought it from an eBay store before discovering B&B and some of the "better" badgers.

It has a nice face feel but I prefer to use it with creams while bowl lathering. IMO it is not stiff enough for face lathering but my preference is boars for that. It's also not that densely packed but the quality of the hairs is good. And after at least a dozen lathers it has shed fewer than 10 bristles and retains its' shape quite well.

In summary I think this is an excellent "starter badger" and for the cost you can't go wrong here.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
Pros: good backbone, great lather,and brilliant loft.
a brilliant brush that does its' job perfectly with minimum effort. I've used this brush with Van Der Hagen luxury soap, and with Williams Mug Soap and have gotten consistent, well body lathers. a must form beginners in the Van Der Hagen starter kit with brush, stand, mug, and soap for only $20.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)