What's new

Truefitt & Hill "Ultimate" Shaving Cream....

Item Description

So I got a sample of this stuff from Charles at QED USA and decided to give it a test run...

Ready to rock and roll.... now what brush to use?
displayimage.php

Finger swipe away....
displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Soaked Polo 12 ready to go to work...
displayimage.php

T - 10.....9.....
displayimage.php

10 Swirls...
displayimage.php

25 Swirls....
displayimage.php

More Cream added - 10 more swirls....
displayimage.php

Verdict?
I am quite underwhelmed. I have since used up my sample - and thus far for the life of me - I cannot get a decent shave with this stuff... I get more nicks with this shaving cream than ANY other cream/razor/soap/etc I have ever used. This cream is very thin, doesn't seem to lather all that impressive, doesn't smell all to wonderful, and is very underwhelming.

At least to me - this product seems to be wholly worthless. Maybe I got a bad sample... maybe I don't know how to use it... but as far as I am concerned, from my experience with this shaving cream.... I'd rather use Gillette Foamy. Blech!:thumbdown

So I made the out-of-the-way trip to Nordstrom last night because I had to expand my shaving experience... I'm still waiting for my Kent to arrive; my Moss Scuttle hasn't come yet; and I'm too much of a ***** to switch blades to anything other than my Merkur Classic DE HD.

So this morning I shaved with my Vulfix 2233, a Merkur HD with Merkur platinum blades, and T&H pre-shave oil and the ultimate comfort shaving cream.

First, the OIL: It's incredibly light weight, which is a very nice change from the very heavy Art of Shaving and Anthony oils. I can't yet say how it compares to the Nancy Boy pre-shave oil, but this is nice for someone with oily skin. It does not leave your face feeling heavy... Also, I would point out that it has a wonderful tangerine scent that's fresh and citrusy without being too fruity.

CREAM: The cream, although it says is unscented, has a very light, pleasant scent- I can't place it right now, but my recollection is that it's similar to the scent in the Oil. I used a tiny bit of the stuff on the tip of my Vulfix and it immediately lathered up. This is a VERY LIGHT but firm lather. What I mean to say is that it did not fall or drip at all, but it was not heavy or creamy like, say, Nancy Boy or Proraso, both of which remain pretty creamy while on my face. The texture of the face-lather is evident even before you get the lather going because the cream, in the jar, is fluid... I imagine that it has a lot of air in it, but NOT at the expense of slickness... This stuff is SMOOTH!

I gave the packaging a lower rating because it comes in a cheapy plastic jar in a box- the jar is nothing special, and much lighter in weight and heft than the Nancy Boy or Art of Shaving plastic jars. (I didn't buy the tube because the jar is only four bucks more for much more cream.)

For those of you wondering, I finished with the Nancy Boy after-shave gel, of which I am a tremendous fan.

So, as I continue to shave with the T&H I'll post updates if I have any... Otherwise, I hope this was helpful.

Latest reviews

Pros: no nasty chemicals
Cons: fragrance
Overall face lathers very well and rinses out very easily. The packaging is excellent and the product is very concentrated so you will get good value out if it. The razor glide is very good but you will have to reload with cream for third pass (face lather) You won't be dissapointed and the worse case scenario is that it will be your no.3 cream in your rotation.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Great Lather
Cons: Stinks
Tried a sample. Great shaving cream, but stinks. To my nose, its like something dead. Too bad it is a fantastic cream like all other T&H products, lathers well and very slick. But the scent is a turn off for me.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Excellent product
It took me a while to get around to trying Truefitt & Hill's Ultimate Comfort. I was able to buy it off the shelf in a local shaving shop, and was happy to pay full retail for it, considering the effort and expense of opening a brick and mortar store. It smells great, not really unscented, just a nice pleasant fresh fragrance. The lather is as good as any. The performance, cushion, glide, protection, and post shave moisturizing aare as good as any. Just between you and me, I'm secretly weighing the possibility of buying the 1 Liter pump bottle container. It's that good, and the price in that large container is a very good value.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)