What's new

Truefitt & Hill "Ultimate" Shaving Cream....

Pros: no nasty chemicals
Cons: fragrance
Overall face lathers very well and rinses out very easily. The packaging is excellent and the product is very concentrated so you will get good value out if it. The razor glide is very good but you will have to reload with cream for third pass (face lather) You won't be dissapointed and the worse case scenario is that it will be your no.3 cream in your rotation.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Great Lather
Cons: Stinks
Tried a sample. Great shaving cream, but stinks. To my nose, its like something dead. Too bad it is a fantastic cream like all other T&H products, lathers well and very slick. But the scent is a turn off for me.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Excellent product
It took me a while to get around to trying Truefitt & Hill's Ultimate Comfort. I was able to buy it off the shelf in a local shaving shop, and was happy to pay full retail for it, considering the effort and expense of opening a brick and mortar store. It smells great, not really unscented, just a nice pleasant fresh fragrance. The lather is as good as any. The performance, cushion, glide, protection, and post shave moisturizing aare as good as any. Just between you and me, I'm secretly weighing the possibility of buying the 1 Liter pump bottle container. It's that good, and the price in that large container is a very good value.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Review after a couple of shaves from a sample pack. I enjoy this cream's scent during lathering, it's pure juniper berry. I won't downrate the cream on the scent's short life as this is supposed to be a minimal-scent product. Otherwise this cream acts a lot like GFT creams; easy to lather with great moisturizing properties.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
T&H Ultimate Comfort shaving cream is a one of the greatest shaving creams of all time.
It is a pure example of excellence.
This cream has a terrific, subtle lavender fragrance, which is really appreciated.
It devolpes a huge quantity of rich, creamy and thick lather.
The razor just glides over the skin, due to its great slickness.
Moisturizing properties are outstanding.
Shaving with the Ultimate Comfort is a true pleasure.
From T&H you want the very best and with the UC you get it.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Once again, leave it to a beautiful Shavemac brush to save the day! I own a shavemac 177 and its the cream of the crop! Watch it whip up lather like a lather-making-monster! Just remember, it might be the type of brush used. Not always but sometimes. Just stick to the good kind such as:
-Shavemac 177, 167 finest or silvertip
-Kent BK8 silvertip
-Savile Row 3120 silvertip
-B&B LE 2008 (kent of course!) silvertip

These are all in my opinion some of the best looking and performing brushes ever conceived!

Merkur 34C HD
1949 Gillette Super Speed

Truefitt and Hill West Indian Limes and 1805
C&E Nomad Cream and Sandalwood Cream
C&E Sandalwood shaving soap
Tabac Shave Soap
Schwartzweisskeramik scuttle
This is one of the best if not THE best cream I've ever used. It made so much lather I had too much on my face even with the B&BE brush eating up some of it. Protected my face great and smells wonderful. Kind of a spicy lavender smell.:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Price: Actually not bad considering how long it will last

Quality: Top notch, no nicks cuts weepers etc.

Scent: "Unscented" but has a moderately strong scent to me, great smell

Latherability: Exploded with mountains of lather

Efficacy: Again great as no nicks or cuts

Moisturizing: Not as good as after shave but great nonetheless

Packaging: Sturdy regal looking grey plastic tub
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I’ll review this cream by criterion.

Price: This gets my most significant ding. At $30 a tub (the current US MSRP), this cream isn't as jaw-droppingly expensive as Acqua di Parma, but ounce for ounce it's actually slightly more expensive than Castle Forbes, making it pretty darn steep all the same. Given that the cost was $22 a tub when it first came out less than four years ago, it would seem T&H is testing the limits of what its patrons are willing to shell out for its products.

Scent: This is where the cream shines for me, ironically enough. I say, “ironically,” for two reasons. One, T&H claims this is an “unscented” cream, which it most assuredly is not; two, many scent-o-philes will (and do) no doubt find this scent to be way too muted for their tastes. But for me, it’s ideal. The lavender note in the cream is muted, to be sure, but also quite present. It blooms nicely when lathered, and I never feel as though I am using a boring, unscented cream. The scent is light, clean, and somewhat masculine; I might go so far as to call it “gentlemanly.” I personally find the scent of the UC to be one of my favorites – a perfect combination of lightness and quality. As one reviewer put it, it smells “expensive.” It will leave no trace scent to interfere with aftershaves or colognes.

Latherability: Outstanding. T&H UC is often said to be a “new school” type cream, and as such is sometimes considered to be in the same category as Nancy Boy and The Gentlemens Refinery. Of the three, the T&H easily lathers the best with a proper face-lathering technique, rivaling any other cream on the market. The lather does tend to be a little slicker and “wetter” than the kind produced by traditional English creams, but is no less profuse or dense when done properly. Admittedly, because of the more highly whipped consistency of the unlathered cream, one may have to use more cream to achieve optimum results - hence the 9 rating.

Efficacy: Outstanding again. Very slick, while simultaneously cushioning and protective. The cream seems to condition my face better during and after the shave than any other cream I own – and I own a lot – with the possible exception of Nancy Boy.

Moisturizing: Outstanding yet again. Although perhaps not quite in the same league as Nancy Boy on this front, the UC always leaves my face feeling very well conditioned after the shave, as noted above. More traditional English creams leave my face feeling more “squeaky clean.” Nancy Boy, conversely, conditions excellently, but doesn't lather as well as the T&H, nor does it smell as nice, IMO.

Packaging: Excellent. The tub is the newer type of plastic we find with Nancy Boy tubs and repackaged D.R. Harris – softer and less brittle than the harder PVC of the likes of Trumper, Taylor or traditional T&H. The silver-grey tub is ideal in its proportions and very classy looking for a plastic tub, with “TRUEFITT & HILL” embossed around the edges of the lid. Newer packaging features writing printed directly onto the lid of the tub, versus the older adhesive label; I think the change is an improvement. The box is a bit flimsy, but nice looking. Since the box goes directly into the recycle bin at my house, I don’t put a big premium on it.

T&H UC has become my go-to cream, as it balances all of the properties I look for in a cream: it works outstandingly well, lathers excellently, conditions my face well, smells great, has no coloring, leaves no trace scent, and is nicely packaged. Aside from the price, I find no reason not to recommend this cream whole-heartedly.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I've tried many creams and I keep coming back to this one. How do I feel about T&H Ultimate Comfort? Well, I have quite a few in creams coming and going, and this is the only one I've kept in permanent rotation, for years. It lathers and cushions as well as anything you'll find, anywhere. The fragrance for me is definitely distinctive: a subtle, natural lavender. (Lavender oil?)

This is an extremely high-quality and natural product, if you have any troubles with irritation or allergies to perfumes or preservatives, this is perfect for you. Even if you don't, you simply can't go wrong here. Although it is expensive, I haven't knocked off any points for price, because I believe this product is worth it. :thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I LOVE this cream. Got a sample from their Las Vegas store and after trying, bought a tub of it. It is my go-to, everyday cream.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
This is a good cream. I know there's been a lot of debate but when you get the proportions right then it works really well. A lot of guys are reviewing off of samples but the secret is quatity. You HAVE to use more Ultimate Comfort than other T&H creams. When you do you'll get mounts of moisture rich lather and a very good shave. Unfortunately, it's T&H so it's very expensive. I wouldn't mind using so much at KMF prices but for T&H the value proposition just isn't there. I recommend skipping this one, but only based on value not quality.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I'm a brand new DE shaver and T&E Ultimate Comfort is the only cream I've used, but that being said I think this is a very good product. It creates a great lather that is very soothing and moisturizing. From looking at the pictures the original reviewer posted, I think the problem is that he didn't use enough water. I think this cream is very sensitive to the amount of water added to the mix during lathering. The first time I shaved with this I put in way too much water and ended up with a foamy mess that was basically worthless. The second time, I started with almost no water and added gradually until I got the right mix. The reviewer's photos look like my mix did before I added the right amount of water.

I did rate this product down on price, because even though I love it I am imagining there are plenty of products out there that would give me just as good of a shave for less than $30.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Got a sample of this from Graham in Truefitt & Hill UK.

Tried it out this morning with the pre-shave oil that Graham also so very kindly sent me.

I was very happy with the performance of this cream. It lathered very well although it did need a few extra drops of water than some of the other creams I use. It really did its job though, the razor glided through with no irritation at all. I managed to get 4 passes out of the cream.

I have been looking for a cream that has no scent and I think that I have found one that I will use from now on. As much as I like scented creams, sometimes I just want to shave and have nothing interfere with the cologne I am using.

All in all, it is a big thumbs up from me and I would recommend that people try this cream.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Very impressed with this one.

Price: It does what it claims to do, and does so very well. Therefore, for me, it justifies its price tag.

Quality: Silky smooth texture, with a great sheen in the tub. Smells expensive. The list of ingredients is reassuringly short - cheap products seem to go overboard on the petrochemicals.

Scent: Discrete and expensive. Personally, I'd have preferred it totally unscented.

Latherability: the standard fingernail sized dollop produced more lather than I needed! Takes a little while to get there, but that suits me - part of the whole Taking It Sedately routine that I want first thing.

Efficacy: It claims to be comfortable and by golly, it is! Gentle, smooth gliding lather, almost frictionless shaving.

Moisturising properties: Very, very good. One notch away from MWF. Used a balm afterwards, but only because I love the balm's citrus zing.

Packaging: C'mon, guys! A grey plastic tub, not even a posh paper label. Need to try harder.

My best shave so far: this one is a keeper!

Chris
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I love T&H UC. It's the first creme that I ever used that helped with my ingrown hair and razor burn problem. I really feel that everyone should have this in their lineup of shaving products.

Price: A little expensive but worth the cash.

Quality: Top tier in my opinion. There are fewer cremes that get any better.

Scent: I love the slight hint of Lavender. Very mild and relaxing.

Latherability: Lather like a dream. I use maybe a 1/4 tsp size and get enough lather for 4 passes.

Efficacy: Works really well. My skin was still slightly irritated after shaving for 3 passes, but it was the least it has ever been. Plus, I'm new to a DE and my technique needs a bit of work.

Moisturizing Properties: For once my skin felt smooth, moist, and healthy after a shave. No dryness at all.

Packaging: Very nice and sturdy container.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I just used my 1/2 sample of Truefitt and Hill's Ultimate Shave Cream. Since I'm used to Proraso and MWF, I put more in the cup than I needed. I must say, it took about as long as the Proraso to lather up, but after that, it was smooth sailing.
It was thick and very moisturizing, and I hadn't shaved in almost a week. I received nary a nick; when I don't shave for a bit, the 'Raso is hard on the old neck sometimes.
I gave the smell a 10 because it had no smell. I don't like cologned-up creams.
This is good stuff, and I can't wait to use the other half of my sample.
The price is a bit steep, but you get what you pay for.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Truefitt and Hill sent me a great sampler pack of their Ultimate shaving items and at least a half dozen colognes. I'm working my way through the colognes but I have to say I was impressed with the Ultimate Shaving Cream. The creme lathered up far beyond what I expected, given the small sample size which I didn't fully use. The scent is very subtle and clean--just like a fine, understated soap fragrance should be. In fact, I enjoyed the creme so much (and built up such a great cup of lather) that I did a seven pass shave because I didn't want to waste the lather.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This was a let down for me. Wanted to see if I could find a good cream for sensitive skin after thinking Proraso was starting to irritate me (I was wrong about that; I wasn't prepping correctly). I picked a travel tube of this up to try it out. Hard to get a good cream/water ratio. Lots of skipping. However, the scent is light and pleasant and the packaging is first rate. But, unfortunately, those points don't improve the quality of the shave. Won't be buying again.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
My review is based on a sample sent me by T&H - they are great in terms of communication and getting samples out to you. But the sample came in a little plastic squeeze thingie, so I can't comment on packaging.

Up front let me say that this stuff works very well indeed. But so do many other creams for a fraction of the price. However I was able to get a BBS smooth shave from it without irritation using my SS with a fresh Derby in it this morning.

The scent is almost non-existent. So if you are looking for an olfactory experience, don't look here. What scent it does have disappears within seconds of lathering.

The lather is great. Very thick and lubricating. I had no problems whomping up for several passes with just a little cream.

As far as moisturizing, right now I'm feeling a little tight and dry. Trumpers seems to do a better job with that that this stuff.

So the upshot is that this is a perfectly competent shave cream.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
First I'd like to note that this review is based on the very attractive sample set mailed to me by T&H. They sent me samples of all their colognes and this UC shave. I love T&H products, but just kind of bypassed this one in the past because I like using the "scented" ones so much. A mistake on my part. I will definitely be picking up this stuff soon! There was preshave oil, cream and ASB attached to the nice sample kit printed card. Note to other companies: this is how you make samples. The PSO was excellent and the cream exploded quite literally into huge amounts of lather. Easily enough product in the samples for 2 or even 3 shaves. I liked the light, yet fragrant scent with a noticeable lavender aroma. The shave was one of the finest I've had. Very slick and protective. I generally don't notice big moisturizing properties in most creams, but thought this one was good. I'm not sure how anyone could not like this cream unless cost and the subtle scent are turn offs. I thoroughly enjoyed all the UC samples. The ASB was very thick and worked very well as a compliment to the shave. Highly recommended!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)