What's new

Taylor of Old Bond Street Synthetic Shaving Brush

Item Description

Taylors of Old Bond Street Synthetic Shaving Brush

In Bjorn's excellent synthetic brush round-up a Taylor "Synthetic" brush came out on top BUT this brush was not synthetic - it was made of animal hairs other than badger. Here's a thread explaining the whole thing.

Once the notice went out that Taylors would be releasing a 100% synthetic brush, I was keen to give it a try. It's quite funny that the brush still has the "imitation badger" label on it but now we are assured by Taylors that this one really is 100% synthetic and it sure looks like it. The brush itself was only made available recently and has now taken pride of place as my most used nd favourite brush.

This thing is great - the handle is high quality, the fill is soft and the spring exceptional. Using this brush has made me want to face-lather more and more and I hardly use my scuttle these days. I don't know what they have done to the bristles but they hold water much better than any other synthetic brush. Have a look:

Here I have wetted my top three synthetic brushes (Taylors/Edwin Jagger/Omega).

Now I give them one hard shake. Notice how the other two have lost a lot of their water while the Taylors brush is still matted.

Now I have shaken them several times to get them as dry as possible. The Edwin Jagger and Omega brushes are basically almost dry but the Taylors brush hairs are still matted. You have to use a hair-drier or something to get this brush dry!

This is a highly recommended brush and if you can only have one, buy this one! The price is reasonable, the performance is exceptional, the build quality is excellent. I really can't think of anything wrong with this brush. My only wish would be for Taylors to make them in different lofts, handle sizes and colours. Unfortunately, this brush only comes in one size and one handle. From the website:
02255 - Synthetic Shaving Brush - Small/Medium (10cm)
This brush is made from 100% Durable Synthetic Fibers that have been specially crimped to retain water and shaving cream/soap when in use.
Price: £35.00

You won't regret having this brush!

See how it stacks up to other synthetic brushes here.

Latest reviews

Pros: Lather monster, soft, acceptable handle
Cons: Not dense enough, handle could be nicer
Let me first say thanks to member Siv for doing such a wonderful write up on synthetic brushes and making this review. He's is responsible for pointing me in this direction. I'd also like to say that I've owned a boar, kent, rooney, edwin jagger (synthetic) and simpson brushes. I have to say that this brush beats them all in latherability. It is not as soft as a silvertip, but almost, and it is much softer than the edwin jagger synthetic or any other synthetic available now. I prefer to bowl lather to face lathering so the softness is not a huge issue to me... YMMV. The handle is about as cheap as acceptable. Not crappy plastic like the Men-U but not as nice as other high end brushes such as Edwin Jagger. The density is the weakest point. After using Rooney and Simpson that is the density I've come to expect. It still lathers but it feels far too lofty flimsy for 21 mm width.

So what makes this brush so great? TOBS crimped each hair to retain water. In fact it is so similar to real badger brush that you would be fooled by using it. The difference is in that it doesn't suck up lather like a badger and gives you that excess fluffy, hydrated, dense lather. It makes the best lathers for me. I especially love to be rewarded by squeezing out that last bit of lather hidden in the brush for the last pass.

Edwin Jagger is nice for my travel brush because it dries fast, but this is probably the best brush out there for me and the future looks very bright for advancements in this area. If rooney or simpson were to make a brush like this I'd be all over it. I've read that in 25 years China will no longer be allowed to export badger. My guess is everybody eventually will be using a brush that is based from the original designs of the TOBS synthetic.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Where in the USA is 'Taylor Synthetic Brush' available, please?

Does that mean that Taylor's 'Imitation Badger Brush' (which does come in larger sizes and costs less) is no longer animal hair blended but 100% synthetic; q.v., a little above bottom of page: http://www.tayloroldbondst.co.uk/acatalog/Taylor_s_On_line_SHAVING_BRUSHES_3.html ?

I've just E-mailed them to find out, and also if there were a USA distributor.

Off-hand, I think that Taylor may simply have used the "regular" imitation brush handle in which to insert the new knot, 'till their new custom 'Synthetic Brush' handle supply arrived.

I very much agree with some others that bothering to dye the synthetic fibres to look like animal critter's hair is superfluous, and also confusing.

Thank you!

Brooks of Veneta, Oregon, USA
Taylors of Old Bond Street Synthetic Shaving Brush

In Bjorn's excellent synthetic brush round-up a Taylor "Synthetic" brush came out on top BUT this brush was not synthetic - it was made of animal hairs other than badger. Here's a thread explaining the whole thing.

Once the notice went out that Taylors would be releasing a 100% synthetic brush, I was keen to give it a try. It's quite funny that the brush still has the "imitation badger" label on it but now we are assured by Taylors that this one really is 100% synthetic and it sure looks like it. The brush itself was only made available recently and has now taken pride of place as my most used nd favourite brush.

This thing is great - the handle is high quality, the fill is soft and the spring exceptional. Using this brush has made me want to face-lather more and more and I hardly use my scuttle these days. I don't know what they have done to the bristles but they hold water much better than any other synthetic brush. Have a look:

Here I have wetted my top three synthetic brushes (Taylors/Edwin Jagger/Omega).

Now I give them one hard shake. Notice how the other two have lost a lot of their water while the Taylors brush is still matted.

Now I have shaken them several times to get them as dry as possible. The Edwin Jagger and Omega brushes are basically almost dry but the Taylors brush hairs are still matted. You have to use a hair-drier or something to get this brush dry!

This is a highly recommended brush and if you can only have one, buy this one! The price is reasonable, the performance is exceptional, the build quality is excellent. I really can't think of anything wrong with this brush. My only wish would be for Taylors to make them in different lofts, handle sizes and colours. Unfortunately, this brush only comes in one size and one handle. From the website:
02255 - Synthetic Shaving Brush - Small/Medium (10cm)
This brush is made from 100% Durable Synthetic Fibers that have been specially crimped to retain water and shaving cream/soap when in use.
Price: £35.00

You won't regret having this brush!

See how it stacks up to other synthetic brushes here.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)